Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-11-2019, 11:29 AM   #341
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I wonder if running them on a dyno is an accurate simulation of real world conditions. Would the lack of air flow help or hinder its range? Is a moving car easier or harder to heat? I would guess it would be the latter for both questions but maybe Tesla does something to increase range in cold besides heating the battery.
Without correcting for drag -- what is the resulting air resistance on said object traveling at a given speed for a given altitude -- a dyno should give more favorable numbers. Aerodynamics play a large factor in vehicle range, gas or electric.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:48 AM   #342
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is sort of cool....Canada's Answer to Tesla is a $15.500 Electric Three Wheeler...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...220000179.html

Quote:
“This company is producing the car that Elon Musk wishes he were building,” Kroll said in a separate interview with Bloomberg Television. “It is great to produce a $45,000, a $100,000 car or a $250,000 car. But for the masses? A $15,000 car that can get them to stop using gas. That’s creative."

SOLO was a good trade today.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 09:58 AM   #343
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
They park it on the sidewalk in front of the deli they own for catering runs and have ordered a second because they kept fighting over it.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:37 AM   #344
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
This is sort of cool....Canada's Answer to Tesla is a $15.500 Electric Three Wheeler...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla...220000179.html

SOLO was a good trade today.
Up to $6.50 now from around $1.40. Crazy.
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 07:54 AM   #345
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dammit, I debated buying some yesterday when it was $3!
Old 02-14-2019, 07:45 PM   #346
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought at 1.73. Then in my infinite wisdom sold at 1.97 with more than enough lunch money for a week.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #347
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I am quite certain Elon Musk is not jealous of that vehicle.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2019, 09:27 AM   #348
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
I am quite certain Elon Musk is not jealous of that vehicle.
haha seriously. Is Mercedes-Benz jealous of the Kia Rio?
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 03:35 PM   #349
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
All I could think of:
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2019, 09:09 AM   #350
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Volvo spin-off Polestar has announced the Polestar 2. It will be a direct competitor to Tesla. Estimated shipping to start July 2020

Spoiler!

https://www.cnn.com/2019/02/27/busin...led/index.html

https://www.polestar.com/

https://www.motortrend.com/news/2021...-3-challenger/

sigh...I still miss my S60 R-Design.

Last edited by ernie; 02-27-2019 at 09:16 AM.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ernie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2019, 09:26 AM   #351
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

They went with the stupid "everything on the tablet" interface, but at leas tit has a real dash.

So this is what Tesla will compete with, and I gotta say, it looks a lot nicer/better quality.
Old 02-27-2019, 12:07 PM   #352
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not a huge fan of the tablet interface either and I normally dislike the screens that sit up out of the dash. This is passable though for my aesthetics.

I do have a soft spot for the design of volvo sedans and think it's a nicer looking car than the Tesla (which I also like..at least in person).
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2019, 05:03 PM   #353
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tesla is starting to sound like it might be getting into trouble. Closing down most of their store fronts.

Quote:
You can now buy a Tesla in North America via your phone in about 1 minute, and that capability will soon be extended worldwide. We are also making it much easier to try out and return a Tesla, so that a test drive prior to purchase isn’t needed. You can now return a car within 7 days or 1,000 miles for a full refund. Quite literally, you could buy a Tesla, drive several hundred miles for a weekend road trip with friends and then return it for free.
https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/28/1...only-car-sales

I am not buying a vehicle without a test drive. It's not like it is a small decision to drop $50k on a car. Being able to return it in a week is not as convenient as a test drive. Not by a long shot. Does he think people have $50k sitting in their bank account to transfer over?

Tesla is going to get eaten alive when the other manufacturers catch up, which won't be long. That Polestar(Volvo(Geely)) is going to destroy them in China before they even get a foothold.
Old 03-04-2019, 08:41 AM   #354
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Tesla is starting to sound like it might be getting into trouble. Closing down most of their store fronts.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/2/28/1...only-car-sales

I am not buying a vehicle without a test drive. It's not like it is a small decision to drop $50k on a car. Being able to return it in a week is not as convenient as a test drive. Not by a long shot. Does he think people have $50k sitting in their bank account to transfer over?

Tesla is going to get eaten alive when the other manufacturers catch up, which won't be long. That Polestar(Volvo(Geely)) is going to destroy them in China before they even get a foothold.
I don’t think that closing storefronts in this case has anything to do with financial health of the company.

With the across the board price drop just announced, these are going to be selling even more than before, and the 3 was already selling like crazy.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #355
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Sounds like there was a second accident that is being investigated where they're looking at the Tesla's autopilot.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 09:31 AM   #356
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by You Need a Thneed View Post
I don’t think that closing storefronts in this case has anything to do with financial health of the company.

With the across the board price drop just announced, these are going to be selling even more than before, and the 3 was already selling like crazy.
What else could it be? The only upside is saving money. The downside is worse customer service. There is literally no other reason to close the stores other than to save money.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2019, 12:00 PM   #357
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
What else could it be? The only upside is saving money. The downside is worse customer service. There is literally no other reason to close the stores other than to save money.
Cost savings yes, but it appears to be tied to the “$35,000 Tesla” promise, not because they are in financial trouble.

Model 3 sales growth is quite high. A strong majority of sales (78% or something) were already being made online.

I think it’s more fair to call it “cutting costs to further growth”, than “cutting costs because we are in trouble”.

Time will tell I suppose.
Old 03-04-2019, 12:39 PM   #358
Canadianman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Do you think Amazon is worried about its financial health? It doesn't have storefronts either.

It was done to lower costs, for sure. Storefronts are unnecessary in their business model.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 12:56 PM   #359
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadianman View Post
Do you think Amazon is worried about its financial health? It doesn't have storefronts either.

It was done to lower costs, for sure. Storefronts are unnecessary in their business model.
I think that remains to be seen. I assume most normal people want to test drive a car before buying it, and comparison shop. They have been selling to a particular group of consumers up until now, so ya, the internet thing has been working for them for those consumers. What is yet to be seen if it works for most other people.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:55 PM   #360
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tesla opened a bunch of new stores just in December:

https://twitter.com/Tesla/status/1072297925957554176

And at least two of these newest stores have just been closed.

I wonder how much it's costing Tesla to break these lease agreements. Even if you're optimistic and don't think it's a sign of an impending liquidity crunch for Tesla, it still doesn't say much for Tesla planning.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote