Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #13601
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nault just representing my side of the fanbase . Maybe he's too much of a jagoff about it but man it's tough to hear and read fellow Flames fans willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater like it's some sort of solution to a much wider problem.

There's no easy fix for the Flames and a 10m a year 24 year old opting for experimental neck surgery sure as hell isn't even close to one.
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 02:59 PM   #13602
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Wild should be offering Rask/Dumba/Rossi/2021 1st (PIT) for Eichel
Old 06-16-2021, 03:01 PM   #13603
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Despite the caliber of the player, I don't get the sense that Buffalo is trading from a position of strength.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:02 PM   #13604
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
It’s not that the Flames have no pieces for Eichel, but Tkachuk is really the centrepiece and that simply doesn’t compare to what other teams could offer.

The problem, as has been the case for a large part of this team’s existence, is that the Flames are an asset poor team trying to play catch up. So I’m not exactly disagreeing with Nault that the Flames probably aren’t a big player for Eichel. This is the hole you dig yourself in when you continually burn assets on short-term bandaids and filler players as the Flames so often do.
Can you elaborate on the teams have a better established player under 25 years old to offer Buffalo. We are a little down on Tkachuk but I think there are a lot of teams that would be very, very interested in acquiring him. He's looking like the 2nd best player out of that draft right now.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 03:08 PM   #13605
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I have a gut feel something around Monahan and Hanifin is going to happen.

Flames then protect Gio

Monny, Hanifin, 1st, and XX?
The salary works out in this case for sure.

Toss in Pelletier/Zary/Dube and it’s probably a fair offer.

I’ve been feeling it’s something like this for a while too but everyone dismisses it because of one of two reasons: Monahan has fallen off lately and has no value or Hanifin is too valuable to us to trade away.

I for one would be elated to be able to keep Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Lindholm and Mangiapane in any deal that nets us Eichel.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:09 PM   #13606
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Nault just representing my side of the fanbase . Maybe he's too much of a jagoff about it but man it's tough to hear and read fellow Flames fans willing to throw out the baby with the bathwater like it's some sort of solution to a much wider problem.

There's no easy fix for the Flames and a 10m a year 24 year old opting for experimental neck surgery sure as hell isn't even close to one.
You know why they’ve always been playing catch-up? Because they haven’t had a top-tier centre since 1995.

Jack Eichel is a game changer.

If this team can’t acquire Jack Eichel, then yeah - I don’t think our course down Mediocrity Lane is likely to change anytime soon, and not meaningfully enough until we tear it down and build through the draft…but until Jack Eichel is playing elsewhere, Calgary fits.

Tkachuk + Zary + 1st seems like a reasonable price to pay, and it doesn’t cripple the team assuming they can extend Gaudreau. Having two elite forwards at one time is something that this team hasn’t been able to lay claim to since they were a legit contender in the late 80s/early 90s.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:11 PM   #13607
BeltlineFan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
Like others have mentioned, I have stopped listening to the fan due to all the negativity. Did one of the main people get fired in the last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Klein and Deforest were let go.
Old 06-16-2021, 03:12 PM   #13608
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see the Flames being in on the Eichel trade, not just in the way people expect. If Eichel goes I think there will be a cascade effect and other pieces will shake loose. Reinhart is a player that could fit in nicely on the Flames. Same with Olofsson. Treliving might be the kind of guy to slide in and take advantage of Buffalo in a moment of weakness as they react to the loss of their "franchise" player.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 03:26 PM   #13609
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanny_McDonald View Post
I can see the Flames being in on the Eichel trade, not just in the way people expect. If Eichel goes I think there will be a cascade effect and other pieces will shake loose. Reinhart is a player that could fit in nicely on the Flames. Same with Olofsson. Treliving might be the kind of guy to slide in and take advantage of Buffalo in a moment of weakness as they react to the loss of their "franchise" player.
We have to make our move for Reinhart pronto then. I think he’s gone to Vancouver or LA if we can’t up what they’re giving away. And it’s no secret it’s a top 10 pick as part of the package, if there’s anything else attached.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:00 PM   #13610
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Can you elaborate on the teams have a better established player under 25 years old to offer Buffalo. We are a little down on Tkachuk but I think there are a lot of teams that would be very, very interested in acquiring him. He's looking like the 2nd best player out of that draft right now.
Other Pacific teams (LA, Anaheim in particular) have the option to offer players with higher upside than what Tkachuk brings, if they decide to go down that route. The question is whether the Sabres are looking for players with 1st line upside in the future or borderline 1st line upside now. Tkachuk is firmly in the second category, and comes with the downside of a big guaranteed payday in the near future that he probably doesn’t live up to, because Treliving botched his contract so badly.

I think if LA or Anaheim step up their game and put a guy like Byfield or a Drysdale+Zegras package on the table, Tkachuk just doesn’t get it done and the Flames have no one close to offer. The Flames’ best prospects are B-tier at best and that usually doesn’t get you a player like Eichel.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:05 PM   #13611
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
You know why they’ve always been playing catch-up? Because they haven’t had a top-tier centre since 1995.

Jack Eichel is a game changer.

If this team can’t acquire Jack Eichel, then yeah - I don’t think our course down Mediocrity Lane is likely to change anytime soon, and not meaningfully enough until we tear it down and build through the draft…but until Jack Eichel is playing elsewhere, Calgary fits.

Tkachuk + Zary + 1st seems like a reasonable price to pay, and it doesn’t cripple the team assuming they can extend Gaudreau. Having two elite forwards at one time is something that this team hasn’t been able to lay claim to since they were a legit contender in the late 80s/early 90s.
Who would that be on the Knights?

Karlsson? Stephenson? Marchessault?

None of them are in the elite area, but all are really good players surrounded with other good players .

So when you start dealing other really good players for one elite guy, you are just shuffling the deck chairs IMO. When you add in the salary/cap hit, his health issues and what it will cost asset wise....i think you think very long and hard before making such a deal.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:06 PM   #13612
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Tkachuk isn’t merely “borderline first line upside”. He’s either definitely first line quality now, or at least borderline first line quality now (not upside).

I agree, the main question is whether they want a player that well known or whether they want all future upside. If the former, I don’t see any other team offering as good as Tkachuk. If the latter, no, the Flames can’t match.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:07 PM   #13613
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

So do you do something a little unexpected then? Do you dangle Tkachuk for Reinhart and Olofsson if they get confirmation Johnny is going to sign an extension? Then make a pitch for a UFA RW that might be flying under radar?

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Armia (UFA)
Oloffson-Monahan-Reinhart
Dube-Backlund-Mangiapane
Lucic-Ruzicka-Ritchie

I think it makes the Flames better and sports three lines that can score and one that is big and can impose their will on the opposition. Doesn't give up and top prospects or picks the Flames desperately need. Just a thought.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 04:13 PM   #13614
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by transplant99 View Post
Who would that be on the Knights?

Karlsson? Stephenson? Marchessault?

None of them are in the elite area, but all are really good players surrounded with other good players .

So when you start dealing other really good players for one elite guy, you are just shuffling the deck chairs IMO. When you add in the salary/cap hit, his health issues and what it will cost asset wise....i think you think very long and hard before making such a deal.
Vegas should take a good look at Eichel, actually. They could offer a 1st (not great), Krebs (pretty darn good), Cormier (pretty good). From the roster I’d probably offer anyone not named Pietrangelo or Stone. Even MAF if they think Lehner can handle it.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:15 PM   #13615
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Random Eichel-Flames connection, Eichel travelled to Greece with Noah Hanifin and his girlfriend (and others) in the Summer of ‘19.

Source: Spittin’ Chiclets:

The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 04:16 PM   #13616
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
So do you do something a little unexpected then? Do you dangle Tkachuk for Reinhart and Olofsson if they get confirmation Johnny is going to sign an extension? Then make a pitch for a UFA RW that might be flying under radar?

Gaudreau-Lindholm-Armia (UFA)
Oloffson-Monahan-Reinhart
Dube-Backlund-Mangiapane
Lucic-Ruzicka-Ritchie

I think it makes the Flames better and sports three lines that can score and one that is big and can impose their will on the opposition. Doesn't give up and top prospects or picks the Flames desperately need. Just a thought.
I’d do the deal straight up Tkachuk for Reinhart. I’m confident that treliving could sign reinhart to a much better long term deal this summer than what Tkachuk gets next summer. He’s also a righty and if Johnny gets $8 mil that increase is off set by signing reinhart for a couple mil less than Tkachuk is getting

Reinhart can also play center so that flexibility with him and Lindholm is very valuable

If it doesn’t work out you can dish monahan at trade deadline and use Reinhart as his center replacement or move on from backlund and have the 3 younger centers

I think Eichel is the better move but Reinhart is the realistic move and still a very good option
Old 06-16-2021, 04:21 PM   #13617
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

The intent of moving Tkachuk is to garner two good players in return. They may not be at the same level of Tkachuk, but they are good players and will contribute to a winner. Frankly, this is what the Flames need to do. Use either Gaudreau or Tkachuk in a trade that will garner two mid to high end second line players. They do that, make a smart UFA pickup, and this is a retool in short order without raiding the think prospect or draft pick cupboard. No superstars, but solid talent throughout the lineup.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 04:28 PM   #13618
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
The intent of moving Tkachuk is to garner two good players in return. They may not be at the same level of Tkachuk, but they are good players and will contribute to a winner. Frankly, this is what the Flames need to do. Use either Gaudreau or Tkachuk in a trade that will garner two mid to high end second line players. They do that, make a smart UFA pickup, and this is a retool in short order without raiding the think prospect or draft pick cupboard. No superstars, but solid talent throughout the lineup.
True but if Buffalo does not agree with the value of the trade IMO Reinhart alone is enough. I think Reinhart will sign for similar money to what Tkachuk currently makes where Tkachuk is looking like $9 mil aav. Buffalo might not feel they need to add anything but that shouldn’t block the deal

IMO it makes a lot sense too because Reinhart has shown no interest in signing long term with Buffalo and he remains unsigned now. Contract problem for contract problem but a win for the Flames as Reinhart might not be a contract problem for them. Not sure if Tkachuk is interested in staying long term in Buffalo but he does have 2 years before ufa vs Reinhart 1.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:31 PM   #13619
OutToLunch
Draft Pick

If Buffalo wants to be competitive sooner to keep their fans happy, maybe something like Monahan, Hanifin, a goalie not named Markstrom or Wolf, and maybe a pick.
Old 06-16-2021, 04:36 PM   #13620
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
If Buffalo wants to be competitive sooner to keep their fans happy, maybe something like Monahan, Hanifin, a goalie not named Markstrom or Wolf, and maybe a pick.
I’m a big fan of monahan and hanifin for Eichel but monahan has a ntc. Not sure it will happen
Closed Thread