Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-15-2021, 01:04 PM   #13501
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

You just know Eichel will get moved to a Pacific team that isn't the Flames. Mentally prepare yourselves.

We'll hear afterwards about how the Flames were in on him up until the final minutes and had a fair offer that Buffalo really liked, but in the end they chose the other offer over the Flames.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 01:09 PM   #13502
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
You just know Eichel will get moved to a Pacific team that isn't the Flames. Mentally prepare yourselves.

We'll hear afterwards about how the Flames were in on him up until the final minutes and had a fair offer that Buffalo really liked, but in the end they chose the other offer over the Flames.
Oh for sure, no doubt in my mind
Old 06-15-2021, 01:10 PM   #13503
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Yep, all this talk of the Kings being out and watch them move Byfield and their 1st for him lol

Last edited by Toonage; 06-15-2021 at 01:12 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Toonage For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 01:11 PM   #13504
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post

I’d be worried but from reading it sounds like teams should stay very far away from him because he’s really not all that good and his injury is a death sentence for his career. Him going to the pacific is a best case scenario from what I understand since he’s going to cripple some poor franchise and it won’t be us. Yay!
Old 06-15-2021, 01:14 PM   #13505
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
I’d be worried but from reading it sounds like teams should stay very far away from him because he’s really not all that good and his injury is a death sentence for his career. Him going to the pacific is a best case scenario from what I understand since he’s going to cripple some poor franchise and it won’t be us. Yay!
No no lol, don't you get it? If his injury does turn out to be career altering it is an almost certainty that we will have blown up the roster to acquire him. That's how it works for the flames.

It's some sort of odd, quantum certainty type of event. The result of Eichel's injury/ surgery exist in a dual quantum state until we observe to whom he is traded to. Then the wave function will collapse and guarantee the worst possible outcome for this franchise.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #13506
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ducks look to be the team. Plenty of cap space to take on a $10M player and enough pieces to surround him with an up and coming roster. Kings would be a close second, but they have a couple big tickets there in Kopitar and Doughty, so adding a third seems unlikely. Can you imagine spending $36.8M on four players? The rest of the roster will be pretty trashy.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:20 PM   #13507
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
No no lol, don't you get it? If his injury does turn out to be career altering it is an almost certainty that we will have blown up the roster to acquire him. That's how it works for the flames.

It's some sort of odd, quantum certainty type of event. The result of Eichel's injury/ surgery exist in a dual quantum state until we observe to whom he is traded to. Then the wave function will collapse and guarantee the worst possible outcome for this franchise.
Yup, either:

A) We trade for him, he's never healthy as a Flame but probably moves on eventually and goes back to being elite.

B) We almost trade for him, but another team swoops in and lands him and he's immediately amazing and it's a franchise altering trade for that team.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 01:25 PM   #13508
Demetric
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Yup, either:

A) We trade for him, he's never healthy as a Flame but probably moves on eventually and goes back to being elite.

B) We almost trade for him, but another team swoops in and lands him and he's immediately amazing and it's a franchise altering trade for that team.
I am on board, where do we sign?
Old 06-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #13509
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, either:

It is the way.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mrdonkey For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 01:26 PM   #13510
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Eichel would be ready to go at the start of the season from the sounds of it. This from a doctor interviewed by The Athletic

One surgical option is to replace the disk with an artificial one. This is a quick and simple procedure with a recovery time of 2-3 months. Rehabbing and delaying surgery risks a more serious injury that could lead to fusion surgery. That would come with more long-term complications and a longer recovery time. Even if Eichel’s injury doesn’t get worse next season, it could still bother him enough that it hurts his performance
I would be interested in more detail. Disk replacement itself isn't a new thing. I know someone who had it several years ago. It did not turn out well. Not only could that person not play sports again, she never had a normal life again.

Is there something different about this new procedure?
Old 06-15-2021, 01:28 PM   #13511
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yup, either:

C) along the lines of A. Flames get him, starts out with 23 points in the first 10 games. Flames top team in the league by 8 points. Then he reaggravates his neck injury ending his career. Flames finish the season with brett ritchie as their starting center losing every game post Eichel injury. Then draft 14th picking up hoarhei Rodriguez from the Mexico city highschool league.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 01:49 PM   #13512
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
Are you high? Lol. He was a mediocre player as a D+2 in the OHL, played in the swedish third league and wasn't even a ppg, and not even a top 5 player in the english league. Total waste of a contract spot.
He was actually a pretty good OHLer in D+2 — similar numbers to Der-Arguchintsev, Damiani, and Foudy. and he had the fourth-best points-per-game in the EIHL despite having just turned 21 in January and being basically the only U-24 player of note in the entire league.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 02:57 PM   #13513
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
C) along the lines of A. Flames get him, starts out with 23 points in the first 10 games. Flames top team in the league by 8 points. Then he reaggravates his neck injury ending his career. Flames finish the season with brett ritchie as their starting center losing every game post Eichel injury. Then draft 14th picking up hoarhei Rodriguez from the Mexico city highschool league.
“We really think he’s the best player you’ve never heard of.”
Old 06-15-2021, 03:29 PM   #13514
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

With some of these posts I'm seeing about the Eichel neck injury, I'm even more against including Matthew Tkachuk in a trade for Jack Eichel. I don't think I'd even do Tkachuk straight up for Eichel. Matthew is so much more valuable to the Flames than to gamble losing him for an injury prone player who in a worst case scenario, retires because Doctors say he can't play the sport anymore. The risk far outweighs the reward in my opinion.
The Following User Says Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 04:51 PM   #13515
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
With some of these posts I'm seeing about the Eichel neck injury, I'm even more against including Matthew Tkachuk in a trade for Jack Eichel. I don't think I'd even do Tkachuk straight up for Eichel. Matthew is so much more valuable to the Flames than to gamble losing him for an injury prone player who in a worst case scenario, retires because Doctors say he can't play the sport anymore. The risk far outweighs the reward in my opinion.
I am more interested it acquiring Nolan P. And Debois as centers in the off season...maybe trade chucky for Dubois and Stanley and Oliver + for Nolan P.

Sent from my SM-A526W using Tapatalk
Old 06-15-2021, 09:32 PM   #13516
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I would be interested in more detail. Disk replacement itself isn't a new thing. I know someone who had it several years ago. It did not turn out well. Not only could that person not play sports again, she never had a normal life again.

Is there something different about this new procedure?

I was wondering the same thing, does someone have more insight into this type of surgery and examples of success and failures? Gary Roberts had a lot of problems as Flame with his neck injuries but then went on to have success elsewhere! I can't remember but I think he had a procedure done to create more space in the disk and maybe a disk fusion as well.

Would help if we had some examples of athletes with some measure of success with the (neck) disk replacement procedure. Maybe Buffalo has a point, and there is not enough evidence to support this type of procedure for a hockey player. Rest and recovery, fusions maybe have worked for some players, so that is worth the risk, sounds like this procedure would be venturing into new territory?

That said, I think if Calgary takes a risk they should offer a "future" first to kick in only if Eichel plays X amount of games. This way if we do lose a player we can still retain the first if Eichel can't play.
Old 06-15-2021, 09:59 PM   #13517
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I was wondering the same thing, does someone have more insight into this type of surgery and examples of success and failures? Gary Roberts had a lot of problems as Flame with his neck injuries but then went on to have success elsewhere! I can't remember but I think he had a procedure done to create more space in the disk and maybe a disk fusion as well.

Would help if we had some examples of athletes with some measure of success with the (neck) disk replacement procedure. Maybe Buffalo has a point, and there is not enough evidence to support this type of procedure for a hockey player. Rest and recovery, fusions maybe have worked for some players, so that is worth the risk, sounds like this procedure would be venturing into new territory?

That said, I think if Calgary takes a risk they should offer a "future" first to kick in only if Eichel plays X amount of games. This way if we do lose a player we can still retain the first if Eichel can't play.
It's hard to find any recent studies on it. Rugby player Chris McQueen had disk replacement surgery and came back to play at a high level. But his comeback was considered a really big deal because it wasn't expected. It was widely predicted that he would have to quit.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2018/0...-rugby-league/

Here is a study published from 2007, so I don't know how good the data is.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2219656/

It showed favourable results in general, but they also conclude that there isn't enough data. It's also worth mentioning that all of the sports studied were solitary games that didn't involve getting hit by another full grown man at 35+ km/h. They used competitors from sports like table tennis, skiing, archery, rafting, running, diving, etc... The athlete who competed in karate was probably the most violent sport used in the study and that athlete did in fact have to quit due to not being able to make fast turns without great pain.

Not sure how relevant any of the data is. Probably not very.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:08 PM   #13518
Reaper
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
Then draft 14th picking up hoarhei Rodriguez from the Mexico city highschool league.
Jorje is the spelling you're looking for oh man of the world.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:39 PM   #13519
Beatle17
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
It's hard to find any recent studies on it. Rugby player Chris McQueen had disk replacement surgery and came back to play at a high level. But his comeback was considered a really big deal because it wasn't expected. It was widely predicted that he would have to quit.

It showed favourable results in general, but they also conclude that there isn't enough data. It's also worth mentioning that all of the sports studied were solitary games that didn't involve getting hit by another full grown man at 35+ km/h. They used competitors from sports like table tennis, skiing, archery, rafting, running, diving, etc... The athlete who competed in karate was probably the most violent sport used in the study and that athlete did in fact have to quit due to not being able to make fast turns without great pain.

Here is another one from Mayo Clinic.
https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...t/faq-20057995
Old 06-15-2021, 10:44 PM   #13520
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I think this MMA fighter had the surgery being considered by Eichel:

As did this MMA fighter in April: https://www.instagram.com/funkmastermma
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atb For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread