Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-15-2021, 02:48 AM   #13481
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Eichel would be ready to go at the start of the season from the sounds of it. This from a doctor interviewed by The Athletic

One surgical option is to replace the disk with an artificial one. This is a quick and simple procedure with a recovery time of 2-3 months. Rehabbing and delaying surgery risks a more serious injury that could lead to fusion surgery. That would come with more long-term complications and a longer recovery time. Even if Eichel’s injury doesn’t get worse next season, it could still bother him enough that it hurts his performance

It’s always great getting medical opinions from doctors who haven’t examined the patient nor seen his medical charts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 06:56 AM   #13482
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOfan View Post
Eichel would be ready to go at the start of the season from the sounds of it. This from a doctor interviewed by The Athletic

One surgical option is to replace the disk with an artificial one. This is a quick and simple procedure with a recovery time of 2-3 months. Rehabbing and delaying surgery risks a more serious injury that could lead to fusion surgery. That would come with more long-term complications and a longer recovery time. Even if Eichel’s injury doesn’t get worse next season, it could still bother him enough that it hurts his performance
All the available literature on this surgery suggests otherwise, as does regular healing schedules. It seems people are conflating "recovery time" with return to playing a high performance high speed contact sport. Recovery usually means a return to regular daily activities, so for a performance athlete that will be the point to where they can begin training again. That will be no lifting or strenuous movement for 2-3 months. At that point the patient can resume training and doctors will then determine the potential of returning to play. The implant needs to be accepted (rejection remains a possibility) and the bone and tissues need to completely heal before he can resume training and taking contact of any sort.

The surgery could be successful and allow the patient to have a regular day-to-day pain free life, but preclude a return to a contact sport like hockey. This is something that people have to understand. I worked with a law enforcement officer who had similar surgery and his days on the street were done afterwards. He was thankful to not have neck pain, but his doctors told him that if he did return to work and experienced a physical event he could do damage to the implant and in turn to his spine. The risk was being a quadriplegic. He elected to retire and enjoy his life away from the only career he had ever known.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I would still trade for him. Done with perpetual mediocrity.
Yes, because Jack Eichel has a massively long resume of success in the NHL.

You could get your wish and not have to worry about mediocrity though. If the Flames are as good as Eichel's Buffalo teams, perpetual mediocrity will be a massive improvement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Peyton Manning had a fusion surgery.

He can’t feel his fingertips anymore.

If the experimental surgery Avoids a fusion one, I can see why Eichel wants it and I don’t see why the Sabres don’t.
Now why would anyone not want to put their faith in experimental surgery?

I can understand why Eichel wants it. Young athletes tend to believe they are indestructible and nothing goes wrong for them. Why would this procedure be any different? That's where the experience of the experts comes into play, and largely why the team doctors are against such treatment. "Experimental" is not something you want to expose your $10M a year player to. You want tried and proven treatments that offer the greatest potential for long term recovery - recognizing the violent environment that player is exposed to in each game. Spinal injuries are not something you want to take on, and the risks associated with further injury have catastrophic outcomes. I can see both sides, but I can also see why teams are shying away from wanting anything to do with this.

I wouldn't touch this Eichel with a 10' pole right now. The risks are too great and he does not have a proven track record of success. The potential for further injury and catastrophic results is still hanging out there. Eichel may never recover to his expected level of play. His current level of play is not enough to improve the team based on the number of assets it would likely cost to get him. I would pass and let someone else deal with the risk.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:10 AM   #13483
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
I would still trade for him. Done with perpetual mediocrity.
He certainly solved the mediocrity problem in Buffalo.

(I am not blaming him for their lack of success, I am suggesting that that trading for him is not some panacea).
Old 06-15-2021, 10:12 AM   #13484
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:
Icon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
He certainly solved the mediocrity problem in Buffalo.

(I am not blaming him for their lack of success, I am suggesting that that trading for him is not some panacea).
Eichel himself might not be the cure. But trading for him, with what that implies for the core, might be a big part of it. By which I mean trading for a star and getting rid of a core player in doing so, means something.
Old 06-15-2021, 10:21 AM   #13485
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Eichel himself might not be the cure. But trading for him, with what that implies for the core, might be a big part of it. By which I mean trading for a star and getting rid of a core player in doing so, means something.
Yes, but some people seem to think that simply trading for him is the answer. First, it will cost a ton of assets. Second, he is damaged goods and possibly permanently damaged (no one can be sure), and third, he has a massive cap hit.

I am all for trading for a star #1 C. But assuming it is the answer to our problems is naïve - it brings a whole new set of problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 10:46 AM   #13486
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Yes, but some people seem to think that simply trading for him is the answer. First, it will cost a ton of assets. Second, he is damaged goods and possibly permanently damaged (no one can be sure), and third, he has a massive cap hit.

I am all for trading for a star #1 C. But assuming it is the answer to our problems is naïve - it brings a whole new set of problems.
Do you think these things affect his trade value?
I sure do.

If these points weren't the case, I don't even think an Eichel trade would be conceivable in the first place.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 06-15-2021 at 10:51 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 10:55 AM   #13487
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It seems more and more possible to construct a trade based mostly on a bunch of conditional 1sts and a few other pieces.

Conditional to Eichel's ability to play games and produce:

If Eichel plays <40 games in a season it's a 3rd
41-60 games = 2nd
>60 games it's a 1st...
in those 60+ games if he's under 0.9 PPG it's top 15 protected
if he's 0.9-1.1PPG it's top 3 protected
Over 1.1ppg unprotected

I'd do picks with those conditions 2-4 years in a row + a roster player (Tkachuk + 2 cond. 1sts, Monahan +3)
Old 06-15-2021, 11:01 AM   #13488
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is not experimental surgery. It’s just not been done in the NHL before. It’s been done on some other athletes (notably MMA fighter Chris Weidman). It seems like the results really will depend on the rehab efforts.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 11:01 AM   #13489
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Any similarities to Gary Roberts' situation back in the day?
Because say you do acquire Eichel, armed with the knowledge you will not have him for this coming season at all.

Have him completely back to %100 and build out from 2022.

If it's a long game trade scenario, you make the deal and set the table for 2022/23. Then it's a new 4 year window (Eichels 26 to 30 year old seasons as the center piece of the core) with a mostly new core regardless.
Old 06-15-2021, 11:01 AM   #13490
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

dp
Old 06-15-2021, 12:41 PM   #13491
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

per Friedman on his 31 thoughts podcast, he says don't be surprised if the Sabres get a high first rounder if Eichel or Reinhart get traded.

Buffalo beat reporter Lance Lysowski responded to this saying the Sabres front office is preparing for the possibility of getting another top 10 pick. So likely one of those teams are in on Eichel or Reinhart
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 12:42 PM   #13492
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Buffalo’s possible trading partner:

Seattle
Anaheim
New Jersey
Columbus
Detroit
San Jose
Los Angeles
Vancouver
Ottawa
Old 06-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #13493
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's going to L.A. or Seattle.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:48 PM   #13494
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

San Jose or Anaheim. I'd bet Eichel lands there. California, Retooling teams, two GMs not afraid to hammer out these kind of deals.

And the Pacific division returns to normal.

Imagines Anaheim trading Gibson and a top ten pick for Eichel. Why wouldn't Buffalo do that. That's your goalie of forever.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-15-2021 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:49 PM   #13495
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
He's going to L.A. or Seattle.
It's been reported L.A backed out.
Old 06-15-2021, 12:56 PM   #13496
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Liam Kirk is a guy I'd take a look at — Friedman said in 31 Thoughts today the Coyotes are looking to move him:

Quote:
14. Arizona’s given permission for teams to talk to Liam Kirk, who just had a terrific World Championships for Great Britain. The Coyotes have his rights for another year, so a trade needs to be worked out. But Kirk can talk to other clubs.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 12:59 PM   #13497
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Never trust a man with 2 first names.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:00 PM   #13498
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Put up some impressive numbers for a truly nothing team.

Could be worth a shot. I thought he was an interesting prospect from that draft weekend.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:02 PM   #13499
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Liam Kirk is a guy I'd take a look at — Friedman said in 31 Thoughts today the Coyotes are looking to move him:
Are you high? Lol. He was a mediocre player as a D+2 in the OHL, played in the swedish third league and wasn't even a ppg, and not even a top 5 player in the english league. Total waste of a contract spot.
Old 06-15-2021, 01:04 PM   #13500
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well could be posturing by the Sabres but I still think we see Seattle go for Eichel take the homerun swing off the bat.
Although, I don't see why Reinhart is worth a top-ten pick and Monahan is barely worth a late first.
Closed Thread