Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 11-18-2012, 03:39 PM   #21
evman150
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What a hopeless little thought experiment.
"For thousands of years humans were oppressed - as some of us still are - by the notion that the universe is a marionette whose strings are pulled by a god or gods, unseen and inscrutable." - Carl Sagan
Freedom consonant with responsibility.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:41 PM   #22
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Republicans say party needs revamp after Romney drubbing

Quote:
"If we want people to like us, we have to like them first. And you don't start to like people by insulting them and saying their votes were bought," Louisiana Governor Bobby Jindal, chairman of the Republican Governors Association, told the "Fox News Sunday" program.
Old 11-18-2012, 03:52 PM   #23
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

H
Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
Saw this on FB
What that professor described was Soviet Russia. If he (or you) believe that having millionaires pay a slightly higher tax rate is akin to Communism than he (or you) are naive regarding history and economics.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:15 PM   #24
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use to be a registered Republican but in 2008 I changed to an "independent" voter. I don't like the bible being forced down my throat, I cant stand the double standards they have towards those who have different lifestyles. Hell Cheney's own daughter was gay.

I'm a fiscal conservative that has some social liberal ideals. I believe that everyone should have the right to healthcare, I also believe in gay rights. I may not agree with their personal choices, but it's not mine or the governments business of who loves each other and what goes on between two consenting adults, hell the divorce rate is high as it is.

I also believe that the government should have a very small role in everybody's day to day life.

I guess I'm just weird
Old 11-18-2012, 04:16 PM   #25
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
H

What that professor described was Soviet Russia. If he (or you) believe that having millionaires pay a slightly higher tax rate is akin to Communism than he (or you) are naive regarding history and economics.
You can blame me for whatever you want. look at the sentence format and punctuation in the post, it's obviously not mine.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:23 PM   #26
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Maybe it's just me being cynical, but who else thinks Romney was asked to say some crazy things about how the election unfolded, so that the next wave of Repub candidates can denounce him and those ideas so they look better going forward?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:28 PM   #27
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I also believe that the government should have a very small role in everybody's day to day life.
I don't mean to pick on you here, because your post is quite reasonable, but what does this mean to you? This is another one of those statements thrown around that I think people just don't think about enough to define what it even means. Usually they just fall back to "less government, less bureaucracy, less regulation" but in what? Have people thought about how it affects their lives? I think we've been shown that leaving corporations to police themselves is a disaster, especially companies that are publicly traded.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM   #28
opendoor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
H

It's not even an accurate depiction of Soviet Russia. I'd say it's an accurate description of how an idiot would try to explain communism to a 5 year old.
The Following User Says Thank You to opendoor For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #29
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I don't mean to pick on you here, because your post is quite reasonable, but what does this mean to you? This is another one of those statements thrown around that I think people just don't think about enough to define what it even means. Usually they just fall back to "less government, less bureaucracy, less regulation" but in what? Have people thought about how it affects their lives? I think we've been shown that leaving corporations to police themselves is a disaster, especially companies that are publicly traded.
To me it's less stupid laws in place that inhibit peoples freedoms. Like the stupid immigration laws, they only inhibit the Americans that are of Latin origin from living a free life without the fear of being harassed by the government to show their papers.

I don't think that the government should be like an overzealous parent that tries to run our every move in our lives.

This is one of those real hard things for me to explain over the internet.

Take SS for instance, I know that it will probably not be available for me when I become of age to retire. With knowing that I am making plans now at 27 and have for years by saving money, whether it's $20 every check or $100 but I'm saving. I also know that SS shouldn't be ones main source of retirement funds either but people fail to save because they think it's the governments job to provide that for them.

Same goes for Unemployment, food stamps and WIC. Those shouldn't be what one uses solely for their coverage but they do. The Government isn't a baby sitter, but some use it as one, I want the government to be there as aid but not as the parent. The government should help all of it's citizens when they're in a time of need but that should be temporary.

I want our government to stay out of foreign affairs, we are not the worlds police, we need to stop acting like one.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:41 PM   #30
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
Maybe it's just me being cynical, but who else thinks Romney was asked to say some crazy things about how the election unfolded, so that the next wave of Repub candidates can denounce him and those ideas so they look better going forward?
No doubt, however I think it's going to Marco Rubio in 2016 and the party will try it's hardest to push him.

This election cycle Romney didn't have the full support of the Republicans and it showed come election day. They tried to run a campaign along poverty lines and it blew up badly on them.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #31
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:

Same goes for Unemployment, food stamps and WIC. Those shouldn't be what one uses solely for their coverage but they do. The Government isn't a baby sitter, but some use it as one, I want the government to be there as aid but not as the parent. The government should help all of it's citizens when they're in a time of need but that should be temporary.
This is a talking point. But what would you specifically do?
Old 11-18-2012, 04:55 PM   #32
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
I don't know. He's saying the exact same things he was saying during the campaign.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:15 PM   #33
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
This is a talking point. But what would you specifically do?
Set limits on the term that one can receive the funding and allow extensions if one is making a legit effort of actually trying to get on their feet.

The problem I've seen here in Alabama is that people come in to fill out an application for their food stamps or unemployment requirements. They come in and are done in 5 mins and want copies to take into the DHS office to prove they've been 'looking' for a job.

The hard part is trying to define who is actually making an attempt at getting a job really compared to those trying to just abuse the system, that I don't have any ideas or an answer to.

Edit

I will say that Education upgrades would help in a massive way with that problem. We need to make a better effort of getting the inner cities better schools and make college a real possibility and make it really affordable. The university system here is stupid, the tuition rates went up at UA last year 7% and will go up again this year. The schools know that everyone will be able to get the loans and federal grants to pay for it and will continue to raise it until it gets maxed out. The university honestly doesn't care that their students will be paying on their loans well into their 40's or that their parents had to take out a second mortgage to get them into that school. A lot of schools are now making it extremely hard for instate students to get accepted, they'd rather take an out of state student that pays three times as much in one semester than an instate pays in a year.

Last edited by PIMking; 11-18-2012 at 05:21 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:16 PM   #34
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPLovecraft View Post
I don't know. He's saying the exact same things he was saying during the campaign.
Yeah when he talked about the 47% looking for handouts, it could be rationalized that he was brown nosing for his particular audience or he was talking election strategy, but no his last remarks showed that is what he truly thought.

The laugh is that it wasn't even accurate as he got a lot of the so called 47% votes.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:13 PM   #35
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Figured this would come up again.

Nation divided?

http://uxblog.idvsolutions.com/2012/...l#comment-form

Mix the colors for Obama/Romney together and you get purple. Even in the supposed southern states that are so incredibly racist, the map is still purple.
This illustrates precious little about anything, really.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:26 PM   #36
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Quote:

Edit

I will say that Education upgrades would help in a massive way with that problem. We need to make a better effort of getting the inner cities better schools and make college a real possibility and make it really affordable. The university system here is stupid, the tuition rates went up at UA last year 7% and will go up again this year. The schools know that everyone will be able to get the loans and federal grants to pay for it and will continue to raise it until it gets maxed out. The university honestly doesn't care that their students will be paying on their loans well into their 40's or that their parents had to take out a second mortgage to get them into that school. A lot of schools are now making it extremely hard for instate students to get accepted, they'd rather take an out of state student that pays three times as much in one semester than an instate pays in a year.
Would you support an in part, publicly funded, not for profit university system like we have up here in Canada?
Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM   #37
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
H

Quote:
You can blame me for whatever you want. look at the sentence format and punctuation in the post, it's obviously not mine.

I believe by putting "you" in brackets he was just insinuating that you also believe it. Because if you didn't believe it, or at least somewhat agree with it, there's no way you would have posted it.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2012, 06:43 PM   #38
Flame Of Liberty
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
H

The execution of ideas might be different (due to restrictions that were torn down in Soviet Russia), but the mindset is the same.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #39
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaramonLS View Post
Would you support an in part, publicly funded, not for profit university system like we have up here in Canada?
Not only yes, but hell yes...
Old 11-18-2012, 06:44 PM   #40
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

nm
Closed Thread

Tags
clinton 2016 , context , democrat , history , obama rules! , politics , republican