Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-12-2021, 12:04 PM   #13401
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Eichel or no Eichel, we should heavily pursue Danault. He shut down Matthews really well.
I suppose the issue is that a guy like Stone, or Bergeron, or O’Reilly, is also a threat the other way, so you don’t mind all the minutes they eat. Danault has less offence than Backlund. If Lindholm becomes that guy though…
Old 06-12-2021, 12:36 PM   #13402
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flambers View Post
Backlund is more of a 3rd liner, as he has limited offensive upside.

Lindholm is way more of a complete player.
Lindholm is definitely the more complete player when you take his offensive abilities into the equation. But I think Backlund is pretty underrated around here. For the role he’s usually tasked to play and for how often he has to start in his own zone, he puts up good numbers. It’s not easy putting up high point totals when you’re asked to consistently shadow the McDavid’s, Crosby’s, Matthew’s of the NHL world.

With that said though, I do agree that if he was legitimately slotted at #3, then the Flames would be deep at center.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:47 PM   #13403
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Ultimately, because Lindholm is better.

Backlund is good defensively. When we ask him to shadow a McDavid or MacKinnon, we lose, often with those star players adding a spectacular goal to their reel.

Zetterberg vs Crosby was the matchup Babcock wanted - not meaning to disparage Datsyuk.

In a Final, it’s elite of the elite vs elite of the elite. It’s fine to send Kris Draper out to harass Sid in November or February. In June, you send a star to deal with another star - you don’t send Robin to face the Joker.

We need a minimum of Eichel/Lindholm/Backlund/+ because whoever we’d play likely has a centre group that’s at least as good as that, and probably better.
I actually think outside of this season, Backlund was doing a great job of shutting down McDavid. There are quite a few nights where McDavid is left off the scoresheet and it’s been a big reason why the Flames had bested the Oilers in past seasons.

But yeah, like I said in my last post. I do like the idea of a Lindholm, Eichel, Backlund 1-2-3 combo up the middle. Personally, I would still use Backlund in a defensive role though. Someone has to take the defensive zone draws and someone has to play the top PK minutes and I’d prefer that to be #11.

Actually, if I had it my way, I probably wouldn’t have played Lindholm on the PK at all. The overtaxing him with needless minutes and the risk of him blocking a shot and getting injured; put the bottom 6 grinders out there more and let Lindholm feast on the offensive side I say.
Old 06-12-2021, 12:54 PM   #13404
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
Lindholm is definitely the more complete player when you take his offensive abilities into the equation. But I think Backlund is pretty underrated around here. For the role he’s usually tasked to play and for how often he has to start in his own zone, he puts up good numbers. It’s not easy putting up high point totals when you’re asked to consistently shadow the McDavid’s, Crosby’s, Matthew’s of the NHL world.

With that said though, I do agree that if he was legitimately slotted at #3, then the Flames would be deep at center.
Backlund is already the third line centre and still produces at a 50 point pace.

He’s not the problem. The problem is that only one of the two “top six” centres on this team is actually producing like one.

Honestly if Monahan can’t take care of his own end AND produce offense, maybe he should just stick to producing offense because having Lindholm and Backlund as 200 foot centres should be enough. Those are two guys who get Selke votes.

Last edited by 868904; 06-12-2021 at 12:56 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 868904 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 01:03 PM   #13405
flambers
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Backlund is already the third line centre and still produces at a 50 point pace.

He’s not the problem. The problem is that only one of the two “top six” centres on this team is actually producing like one.

Agreed, Flames have been playing 3rd line like players in the two lines.

Backlund is for sure a really good 3rd line center.

Flames are missing right wingers and another quality center.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:37 PM   #13406
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Honestly if Monahan can’t take care of his own end AND produce offense, maybe he should just stick to producing offense because having Lindholm and Backlund as 200 foot centres should be enough. Those are two guys who get Selke votes.
Were we contenders, we would rely on Backlund to dominate the other team’s 3rd and 4th lines while being able to get us to the next shift against the elites when they happened to match up.

Just my view.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:42 PM   #13407
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

The more I think about it, the more I think that Avs are a big contender for Eichel. They have a ton of young defensemen that they can offer up and that would certainly be a splash for them trying to get past the 2nd round
Old 06-12-2021, 01:44 PM   #13408
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
The more I think about it, the more I think that Avs are a big contender for Eichel. They have a ton of young defensemen that they can offer up and that would certainly be a splash for them trying to get past the 2nd round
So you think they are going to run Kadri as 3rd line C?
Old 06-12-2021, 01:48 PM   #13409
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
They should. Not many teams would have a better #3C than that.

Plus, when he inevitably gets a multi game suspension in the playoffs, you’re only down your #3 instead of #2.
Old 06-12-2021, 01:54 PM   #13410
GS Skier
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Don't see it but who knows. Flat cap and they have to pay a few guys this year including Makar who's thought to be an 8-9 mil long term signing and in two years MacKinnon is NOT resigning for 6 mil.

Who are they trading to aquire a 10,000,000 center who may well be the 2nd line there.
Old 06-12-2021, 02:06 PM   #13411
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

For Monny to produce offence, he needs to play with Johnny on the first line. Putting him on the third line with the marching orders to “produce offence” likely wouldn’t have played out that well 3-4 years ago, much less now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 06-12-2021, 02:10 PM   #13412
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
Kadri could get traded. He certainly hasn't endeared himself to Avs fans
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 02:21 PM   #13413
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

It would be funny if a really good team acquires Eichel and lets him sit on LTIR for most of the year like Kucherov.
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 02:56 PM   #13414
Cobra
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:

Fact is he has had one 50 point season in his career.
His 5 plus million contract is waste, at best he is a 3rd line center.
Zero playoff success

Imagine a top 6 RW like Toffoli who produces goals, unlike Backlund, and way cheaper.
We need top 6 talent.

Not part of the solution, a big part of the problem.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 03:01 PM   #13415
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

You sign and pay players based on the slot they are likely to play. Backlund is paid like a 2nd line center, but actually slots in as a 3rd line center. If he was paid $3.5M per, we wouldn't be having these discussions. Reliving made the mistake of paying him second line money, and he's actually a 3rd line forward. Same problems exist through out the lineup. Treliving sucks at his job.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 03:41 PM   #13416
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s 47th in points amongst centres and 54th by salary
Seems like he’s paid appropriately
Old 06-12-2021, 04:34 PM   #13417
Cobra
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
He’s 47th in points amongst centres and 54th by salary
Seems like he’s paid appropriately
I would have thought with his playoff pedigree you would suggest a raise
Old 06-12-2021, 04:38 PM   #13418
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
I would have thought with his playoff pedigree you would suggest a raise
No one on this team has a playoff pedigree
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 04:46 PM   #13419
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
No one on this team has a playoff pedigree
Well, Lucic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2021, 05:06 PM   #13420
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Some of the players they have just need to get over the hump guys like Looch and Sutter pointed out on garbage bag day. Their heads are in their arses. I think Looch had it right, it's 90 percent psychological for this team.

Then again the way they played all year was a choppy broken mess with small glimpses of good hockey. I like to call it white knuckling their way through last season.
Closed Thread