Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #41
algernon
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't know where Podunk is, but that is approximately correct!

Not sure that this person would want to be outed here, but I know for sure that you've read their posts!
I remember him outing himself a while ago, both as an oiler fan and an Alderman.
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...42#post1422442

Post #10 in the thread:

Quote:
I'm an alderman in another city in Alberta. We went to e-agendas nearly a year ago, just after the last election. I'm in my 50s and my generation doesn't find it as easy as younger folks do to wade through electronic information. There is something to be said for having paper, and some people are not comfortable with electronic documents. You can write on paper, you can highlight things, you can fold over the corner of a page with paper. We do have a sticky-label program to allow us to write notes on our agenda package. It's harder to wade though electronic agendas and to find things, including going back and finding things you looked at earlier but want to review again, for example. My council has a couple of older members (60s/early 70s) and to their credit they've adapted very well. All of us love it but it took some getting used to. Both are pretty computer literate. While I love the e-agendas, I'm sympathetic to others who aren't as comfy with this. If you read novels, maybe you like e-books but there is something to be said for having a book that you can hold in your hands. I've read one novel electronically and much prefer the paper book. I just urge you to be a little more tolerant and understanding of someone who is from another era - didn't grow up with computers as most of you did. I saw a discussion on some forum where younger folks were discussing their parents' computer illiteracy and I was surprised how many said their parents have no idea how to use a computer. Be patient with older folks who may find it hard to do what you take for granted.

Whew, long post, sorry.
A I'm not really clever, I was just trying to get an 'edmonton sucks' in.
algernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 11:52 AM   #42
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by First Lady View Post
P

I'm sure we will each get our share. Sean will lose some since he has not lived in the ward for over 10 years and doesn't plan on returning here. Opening his campaign office outside the ward likely won't help either. Plus we are two distinct conservatives; he's a PC'er, I'm a Wildroser.

The other 9 candidates can fight over the scraps.
IIRC, Sean Chu came from Taiwan in the 1980's with no money and no English. First Lady, please tell me your story is as cool as that.

Henry Steel Commager (1902-1998)

bcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 01:27 PM   #43
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Yeah well he better have a low post count.
Actually, no his/her post count is pretty high.

Quote:
I don't know where Podunk is, but that is approximately correct!

Not sure that this person would want to be outed here, but I know for sure that you've read their posts!
That'd be a safe bet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VladtheImpaler View Post
Yep, it's definitely in the Podunk area. And soon we will have a school-board trustee as well...
Actually, it's about 158 km west of Podunk.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #44
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb View Post
IIRC, Sean Chu came from Taiwan in the 1980's with no money and no English. First Lady, please tell me your story is as cool as that.
Not sure how to respond to this.
Are you seriously looking for "my story"?

As luck would have it, I do talk about my history a bit in a video we did. It should be out in about a week. I can certainly expand on that here if you like.
First Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2010, 06:11 PM   #45
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
I saw some Greidanus honey at the Millarville market today.
They have an interesting story. Apparently they have a very old book that traces the family name back 400 some years. I'm sure somewhere in there the Greidanus and Greydanus intersect.

Alas, I'm now big 'M' small 'organ'.
Old 09-11-2010, 10:39 PM   #46
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure how to respond to this.
Are you seriously looking for "my story"?

As luck would have it, I do talk about my history a bit in a video we did. It should be out in about a week. I can certainly expand on that here if you like.
I was joking. I know you didn't come from Taiwan. (Well, it's a safe assumption, anyway.)

Old 09-12-2010, 12:32 AM   #47
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
What you're trying to bait me into here has nothing to do with the school board.
It wasn't directed at you Slava. Sorry if it seemed that way. It was intended to be 'social commentary'. Obviously it fell well short of the mark.

I think it is fantastic that you're running for school board. It seems like you're motivated by a desire to improve the education system not by political beliefs.

Good luck.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to longsuffering For This Useful Post:
Old 09-14-2010, 06:10 PM   #48
First Lady
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcb View Post
First Lady, please tell me your story is as cool as that.
Video now posted below my Bio....you can judge for yourself.

http://www.jane4ward4.com/bio

Or flame as deemed appropriate...
Old 09-14-2010, 10:57 PM   #49
bcb
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Video now posted below my Bio....you can judge for yourself.

http://www.jane4ward4.com/bio

Or flame as deemed appropriate...
I thought it was well done and quite sincere. I live in the south, so my vote isn't up for grabs, but I wish you luck.

Tags
alberta beef , fun , fundraiser , golf , politics