Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2019, 02:57 PM   #1121
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis's Hairpiece View Post
It's like Chiarelli took over the reigns for the Jay's.
I don't see it as bad as Chiarelli. The Jays are 2-3 years away from assembling a competitive playoff team. Sure they could try and hold these players to see if they can get a better return but by moving them now you can see what you have in the system, save some cap hit and then be set-up in few years have the prospects to be on the other side.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 02:58 PM   #1122
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't know much about Fisher. Is he good enough to be the only return?
agulati is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:01 PM   #1123
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was thinking about seeing if I could upgrade my ticket for the game on the 11th. I don't think I'll bother now. It's just more money for Atkins to give to whoever he trades/gives Giles to this summer.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:03 PM   #1124
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flames_fan_down_under View Post
Cal Stevenson going with Sanchez and Biagini. He is a name that surprised me last year that I liked following in the minors, he was doing well in Dunedin this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karl View Post
So just Derek Fisher coming back for Biagini AND Sanchez???

I can't even...That's a joke of a deal.
And they added a prospect that is younger and has upside - similar performance to Fisher at the same age.

Makes absolutely no sense.

Last edited by SuperMatt18; 07-31-2019 at 03:08 PM.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #1125
flamingred89
Franchise Player

Exp:

That Sanchez deal is bonkers. Like wow. He was starting to pitch well. Why not let him finish the year see what happens, and try to trade him in the offseason and see what value there is?

Seems like the Stroman/Sanchez moves are universally panned so far. Hopefully something more trickles down from the Sanchez deal
flamingred89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:10 PM   #1126
Jiggy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hoping what the Jays got for Stroman, Sanchez and Biagini will help the Jays in the long run. But it feels like pitching could be an issue when this group hits its stride in two or three years. And I may be out to lunch on this.
Jiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:12 PM   #1127
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol

What are people flipping out about?

Sanchez has sucked ass for 3 seasons now, when he hasn't been injured with recurring finger problems. Biagini has had a decent season, but he's nothing to write home about. Both Phelps and Hudson were picked up off the scrap heap late in the off season and were better than Joe Biagini was this year.

Are people pissed just because getting pissed is what they like to do, or should we have kept trotting Sanchez out there for another 2 or 3 seasons between finger injuries to see if he could turn it around?

Cal Stevenson I like, but he MIGHT be ready to get a MLB look in 3 years time when he's finally the same age Fisher is now, might as well get some reps on Fisher now since we are looking for MLB ready OFers right now to fit the time line with the rest of the young guys who are here now.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 03:17 PM   #1128
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Cal Stevenson was the Jays 25th ranked prospect, it's not that big of a deal IMO. Sanchez has been bad for 3 straight years, and is close to being one of the worst starting pitchers in the AL this season, he had negative value to the Jays this season and was taking up a starters spot and, really, not improving.

EDIT: What Roof-Daddy said.
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to flames_fan_down_under For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 03:19 PM   #1129
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

There was just no purpose in trading Sanchez at his low.

I can't imagine his value would be any lower at next year's deadline, and it certainly could have been higher.

Honestly a pointless trade. We didn't need Fisher, so there is zero purpose to trading any of those 3 players if that was the return.
Jiggy_12 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiggy_12 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 03:20 PM   #1130
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only important thing is how much real money did Rogers save ? This is the only metric that matters in these trades !
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:23 PM   #1131
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Derek Fisher is simply not a player we need, and certanily not a player that we should give up 2 players + a prospect for as the only return.

I mean, who is he an upgrade on with this outfield. Probably just a marginal upgrade (as in a better hitter) over Billy Vanilli but that's likely all.

Last edited by Karl; 07-31-2019 at 03:28 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:30 PM   #1132
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Update on Kevin Smith, if I can manage to wade through wave after wave of whining, he's the SS who had a break out year last season posting a WRC+ of 190 in low A, got promoted to high A and posted a WRC+ of 127.

Well he's in AA this season and struggling mightily, that is up until June 22nd.

Since then in 26 games he's come to life with a line of .344 / .379 / .699 / 1.078 and posting a WRC+ of 205.

Absolutely MASHING. Still striking out a tad too much, but encouraging to say the least.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 03:32 PM   #1133
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
lol

What are people flipping out about?

Sanchez has sucked ass for 3 seasons now, when he hasn't been injured with recurring finger problems.
For real. C'mon people... I know folk want to remember Aaron Sanchez as the guy that flirted with the ERA title that one year but really that was three years ago and when he hasn't been hurt he's been bad. Aaron Sanchez is a non-tender candidate (unless there are folk lining up to pay $4M+ for a oft injured, below replacement level arm). Not sure why we're sending a low level prospect back but no one should shed a tear over Aaron Sanchez leaving.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 03:36 PM   #1134
Karl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
For real. C'mon people... I know folk want to remember Aaron Sanchez as the guy that flirted with the ERA title that one year but really that was three years ago and when he hasn't been hurt he's been bad. Aaron Sanchez is a non-tender candidate (unless there are folk lining up to pay $4M+ for a oft injured, below replacement level arm). Not sure why we're sending a low level prospect back but no one should shed a tear over Aaron Sanchez leaving.
But is Derek Fisher, a guy who's really only an upgrade over McKinney in our current outfield, really a player who should command 2 players + a semi-decent prospect coming back from us?

This is a steal for the Astros.

Last edited by Karl; 07-31-2019 at 03:38 PM.
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:37 PM   #1135
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Update on Kevin Smith
I wonder if they bump him up to replace Bo at AAA? My guess would be "No" but if they believe in his recent turnaround then it's possible. The guy's I'm fond of keeping an eye on are our A ball catchers Kirk and Moreno.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2019, 03:38 PM   #1136
flames_fan_down_under
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy_12 View Post
There was just no purpose in trading Sanchez at his low.

I can't imagine his value would be any lower at next year's deadline, and it certainly could have been higher.

Honestly a pointless trade. We didn't need Fisher, so there is zero purpose to trading any of those 3 players if that was the return.
When was Sanchez’s value going to improve? Was his value any higher last year? Did you honestly see him getting better? His velocity is down about 3 mph on his fastball. Did you see that coming back to 96/97 mph?
flames_fan_down_under is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:38 PM   #1137
cross16
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I actually like that they targetted an OFer. Outside of Gurriel Jr and Grichuk I'm not seeing an everyday OFer on this team and really not seeing anyone who is close. We keep waiting for Alford to break out but that seems a bit wishful so I do think the target makes sense. Especially someone with an intriguing speed/power combo. Obviously you would assume with the price they paid, they see this as someone who can compete and be an everyday guy and I see more upside there than their current options, plus a lefty bat to boot. The target makes sense to me.

That being said, the deal is a puzzling to me. I'm certainly not flipping out about losing Sanchez but yes I would be someone who would have voted to keep him and let him try and rebuild his value which is quite low right now. Putting that, plus a pretty useful (albeit not fantastic) bullpen arm in Biagini, and a prospect for a guy that while intriguing doesn't offer a for sure upgrade is a pretty surprising deal.
cross16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:39 PM   #1138
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Derek Fisher is simply not a player we need, and certanily not a player that we should give up 2 players + a prospect for as the only return.

I mean, who is he an upgrade on with this outfield. Probably just a marginal upgrade (as in a better hitter) over Billy Vanilli but that's likely all.
We need outfielders. Full stop. Are you kidding me right now? Haha

Fisher is more mud to throw at the wall. It's a rebuild. Hopefully he sticks.

Gurriel looks great. Hopefully he keeps that up, he will be a core piece for a long time if he does.

Hernandez has improved greatly since coming back, especially defensively, but he's still lacking plate discipline.

Grichuk is Grichuk. K's a ton, gets hot at times, provides decent defense. But he's only at 0.4 WAR with a 86 WRC+.

Mckinney is shaping up to be a great AAAA player who lights up the AAA but falls flat in MLB.

Alford only gets hot when he's about to get injured.

Me, I prefer the Jays keep looking for more outfielders thank you very much. Derek Fisher has real power, real speed and only 300~ AB's at the MLB level. We don't know what he is yet.
Old 07-31-2019, 03:43 PM   #1139
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parallex View Post
I wonder if they bump him up to replace Bo at AAA? My guess would be "No" but if they believe in his recent turnaround then it's possible. The guy's I'm fond of keeping an eye on are our A ball catchers Kirk and Moreno.
Kirk and Moreno are drool worthy.

I just imagine 2-3 years from now, hopefully Vlad, Bo, Biggio, Jansen and Gurriel are all ranging from above average MLBers to All star level MLBers and then the next wave of guys like Kirk, Moreno, Groshans, Hiraldo and Martinez are about to descend upon us. Or is it ascend? Haha
Old 07-31-2019, 03:51 PM   #1140
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
But is Derek Fisher, a guy who's really only an upgrade over McKinney in our current outfield, really a player who should command 2 players + a semi-decent prospect coming back from us?

This is a raping from the Astros.
Is a below replacement level pitcher, a middle inning reliever, and a 10th round pick who signed for 5K really a package that anyone should describe as a "raping"?

If you told me that the deal was Sanchez + Stevenson for Derek Fisher I'd call the deal a clear win for the Jays. With Biagini in it (who I like) I'm more inclined to call it a "mild overpay" on account of his years of team control remaining which is miles from a "raping" (that's ridiculous hyperbole).

But let's be real... anyone upset about this trade isn't upset about Joe Biagini. They're upset that the Jays traded Aaron Sanchez even thou 2019 Aaron Sanchez is trash.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post: