Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #1501
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is about as close to a Whitecaps A squad as you'll get. Probably 9 regular starters in the 11. A fairly uneventful half, but would argue Whitecaps held more of the play. Love the fact that Spruce Meadows is packed, and love the crowd getting on Adnan.

Hope the busses were okay from the pubs. I heard the Rose & Crown bus filled up pretty quickly, and I know the Kildare's bus had to do a second run.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:27 PM   #1502
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looked like a conservative first half by both teams. Seemed like Cavalry wanted to get through that first half nil-nil (and full marks for doing so). Will be interesting to see if things open up in the second half.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:31 PM   #1503
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
Field conditions look questionable. Do they do horse jumping here?
Yes, and the National was last weekend.
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 08:52 PM   #1504
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is a wonderful experience.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:17 PM   #1505
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

5107 announced attendance. Looks and sounds like 10000, lol.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:18 PM   #1506
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Foot soldiers with numerous shoutouts in the broadcast. No mention of the foot clan, though.
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 09:35 PM   #1507
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

If that was 5100, then Spruce Meadows cannot hold 6000 people because the place looked jam packed.

Cavalry have a lot to be proud of, because they got a great result against a full strength Whitecaps side. Were it not for the magnificent Crepeau save on Escalante, we'd be talking about a huge win.

And lastly, this from Ryan Pinder....

https://twitter.com/user/status/1149148873287323648

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 09:37 PM   #1508
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
Foot soldiers with numerous shoutouts in the broadcast. No mention of the foot clan, though.
What is the difference between the Foot Soldiers and the Foot Clan? Are they 2 different Cavalry supporter group?
Old 07-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #1509
CofR
Olympic Guru

Exp:

If you told me last summer when I was in ####ing Okotoks watching a PDL team that in 12 months we would draw an MLS club I would have thought it was crazy.

Up the Cavs, Foot Soldiers forever
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CofR For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #1510
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
If that was 5100, then Spruce Meadows cannot hold 6000 people because the place looked jam packed.

Cavalry have a lot to be proud of, because they got a great result against a full strength Whitecaps side. Were it not for the magnificent Crepeau save on Escalante, we'd be talking about a huge win.

That was a wonderful shot. And good because i wasn’t happy with his play up till then.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #1511
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

What a night! I thought the Cavs play so well and definitely carried play in the second half. Vancouver looked rather poor and aside from a couple moments I didn't think they were all that threatening.

And Spruce Meadows has really risen to the occasion as well. They hosted everyone well and we had zero issues getting drinks or food or anything like that.

It will be magnificent to see a semifinal leg there once we get a deserved away goal to go through the Whitecaps!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:29 PM   #1512
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Live from Foot Clan headquarters:

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 10:35 PM   #1513
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Caps were gassed the last half hour.
Excellent by Cavalry and unlucky not to get the result. Escalante shot and the Wheeldon header.

Some big boys through middle for Vancouver,both the back and midfield, so smart play to attack the wings and not even try to win the middle of the park, which is all they tried in the first half to push it wide, and had more success in second.
Questionable on the high knee that caught Pasqoutti in the box.

Terrible pitch. Cavs you could tell had to move the ball around and out of their feet a lot quicker in tight then they are used to, and the inconsistent pitch didn’t help.

Know zero about the Whitecaps, but if that’s their A team, I’m a bit surprised. Didn’t see s lot outside of the big center back and the speedy forward which they subbed. And the snap show left back who thinks he’s better than he is.

Great atmosphere, I guess there would be some more standing room and maybe a hundred or so seats (last few rows mainly), but highly entertaining which just needed a finish from the Cavs.

Last edited by browna; 07-10-2019 at 10:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:50 PM   #1514
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post

I thought the same. Unless there is actually space for about 600 inside the Officer's club, there is no way capacity is 6k. If I had a guess, they could have put another 75 or so in the 300 section bleachers (what happened there?), a other hundred in standing room where people took up the empty seats in 105, and maybe another hundred in the also mismanaged berm. 5500 capacity, maybe.

Anyway, other than a 25 minute stretch in the first half, the Cavs were definitely the better team. We just lacked anyone who could compete with Vancouver inside the box on corner kicks. That was the difference between this draw, and a one or two goal win, Imo.

And I know Vancouver sucks, but I never thought for a second that we would control play the way we did in the last 30 minutes. Vancouver's A squad was struggling to keep up the entire time.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:56 PM   #1515
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

What an evening. The atmosphere was incredible, well done Foot Soldiers, you kept the place hopping.

Cavs were the better team in the second half and I thought for sure the goal was coming by the end.

Up the Cavs! We’ll take it in Vancouver
The Following User Says Thank You to M*A*S*H 4077 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 11:00 PM   #1516
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

My seats are in 202 and had an upclose look...holy...those are some big boys on the Whitecaps Defence. Trying to win a head battle with a NFL linebacker is going to be tough. It appeared they eventually changed their throw-in strategy and it sparked a decent look when they threw it across the pitch to an open man on the far side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-10-2019, 11:02 PM   #1517
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Vancouver Whitecaps are no good.
The Following User Says Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 11:05 PM   #1518
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was such a fun game to be at. I brought a friend for his first game and now hes asking me when the next one will be. Everyone in our section was engaged and the atmosphere was awesome.

"pRo SoCcEr WoN't wOrK iN cAlGaRy"
Old 07-10-2019, 11:13 PM   #1519
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

I wonder if the Southern family invests in a more permanent, larger capacity facility during the off-season (i.e. Seaman ballpark in Okotoks).

I was skeptical at first, location being one thing. Seems to be an appetite for the pro version of the sport as the city has become more cosmopolitan.

The Boomers didn't work in the 1980s because the NASL then was marketed in a North American pro-league style, rather than a club-based, grassroots European model the MSL has adopted.

The CanPL is still in its teething period, but I can see Cavalry being a flagship franchise.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:17 PM   #1520
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Reggie - converting the All Canada Ring into a 12,000 seat facility is in the plans. Depends on interest though. Would be nice to see crowds like that for league games too!
The Following User Says Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge