Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 04:21 PM   #1361
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Is that a jersey, or just a shirt?
Old 07-04-2019, 09:22 AM   #1362
MillerTime GFG
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
I suspect you are probably right, and I wasn't endorsing that Zator is a Canada NT starter, just noting their comments.

That said, I don't think there's a dramatic talent gap between guys like Zator and Chung, and some of the more marginal call ups like Godinho and Morgan. Hell, Morgan bounced between TFC and TFC II, and Godinho played in Scottish League Two last season.

Their point was that Herdman needs to try these guys out in friendlies, etc. to at very least push the current guys. Really, until CanPL teams get regular games against other leagues, it's tough to say how they really stack up. Even these next few games for Forge, York, Cavs and HFX against MLS, USL and Liga Guatemala teams might not be indicative on their own.

With players individually, you'll never know if you don't play enough friendlies and try more players out.

To use a hockey analogy, if someone told you 10-12 years ago that Giordano would develop into a Norris trophy defenseman, you'd think that person was certifiable.

Canada has a relatively shallow player pool, so there isn't much to lose in trying them out. Playing Davies out of position like that was really quite silly. I get why it was tried (though should have been tried and shelved in a friendly), but it threw off the entire balance when they faced a good counter.
Yea...like you said, it just goes to show how shallow our depth really is for the back line. If we have to consider players like Zats, then this country is in trouble. It's not really a knock against Zats, because I really like him as a person, and playing at the CPL level is great, but he would get exposed at the international level. I just picture Lionel Messi running at him...haha. Yikes.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:00 PM   #1363
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The issue with saying we need to test cpl guys in friendlies is that Herdman doesn’t schedule friendlies. The CSA/Herdman need to smarten up and start scheduling friendlies to test players and to strengthen our squad dynamics in general. We should not be losing to Haiti when going into the second half up by 2. However we never play teams that aren’t minnows so don’t know how to react.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:14 PM   #1364
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think it's become more evident that Haiti is not a minnow. They took Mexico, the confederation's best by a large margin, to extra time last night. Oddly enough, they did it with a Canadian CB in the starting lineup....

I will also argue that right now, CPL players (de Jong the exception) should be nowhere near the national team. The standard of play in the league is simply not good enough right now to produce players that can play for the national team. The standard of play will rise in the future, but it will not do so quickly. Not to mention I don't think there is much appetite for the consumer to bear the costs that come with the level of play rising rapidly as it has in MLS.

I think there are a few players who should be in consideration for the youth teams though. And I think there are some players who may have a shot with the national team in the future, but they would have to move on to better leagues to do so.

Old 07-04-2019, 03:16 PM   #1365
Monahan For Mayor
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermanator View Post
I think it's become more evident that Haiti is not a minnow. They took Mexico, the confederation's best by a large margin, to extra time last night. Oddly enough, they did it with a Canadian CB in the starting lineup....

I will also argue that right now, CPL players (de Jong the exception) should be nowhere near the national team. The standard of play in the league is simply not good enough right now to produce players that can play for the national team. The standard of play will rise in the future, but it will not do so quickly. Not to mention I don't think there is much appetite for the consumer to bear the costs that come with the level of play rising rapidly as it has in MLS.

I think there are a few players who should be in consideration for the youth teams though. And I think there are some players who may have a shot with the national team in the future, but they would have to move on to better leagues to do so.
Just to clarify I wasn’t calling Haiti a minnow. I was saying the only teams we have been playing regularly is minnows so we weren’t prepared to play a decent team such as Haiti.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:52 PM   #1366
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ah, that makes more sense then.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:34 PM   #1367
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

I will add that Haiti has played in the same amount of world cups as Canada, 1.
Old 07-04-2019, 05:39 PM   #1368
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can't make the Whitecaps game anymore. Probably could have made a mint for the ticket but sold it to a fellow supporter for a pint.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2019, 05:45 PM   #1369
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Can't make the Whitecaps game anymore. Probably could have made a mint for the ticket but sold it to a fellow supporter for a pint.
Whoa, seriously? But it’s our biggest game in history!!

(Until the next round against Montreal?)
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2019, 09:13 AM   #1370
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

OneSoccer now has an Apple TV app. This pleases me.

They had AirPlay previously, and that worked well enough. But having a native app on Apple TV makes it even easier to get the matches up on a proper screen.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:42 AM   #1371
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
They also added Chinese Super League coverage, and judging from their replies to tweets, it sounds like LigaMX and some European leagues are coming soon.
Old 07-05-2019, 09:56 AM   #1372
Johnny199r
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
They also added Chinese Super League coverage, and judging from their replies to tweets, it sounds like LigaMX and some European leagues are coming soon.
Does it cost extra to watch content other than CPL?
Old 07-05-2019, 10:10 AM   #1373
Howie_16
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kipper is King View Post
Hoping for Bundesliga 2 or Hamburg SV promotion!
Old 07-05-2019, 08:46 PM   #1374
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
I don't think so.
Old 07-05-2019, 08:51 PM   #1375
FlamesFanStrandedInEDM
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post

They had AirPlay previously, and that worked well enough. But having a native app on Apple TV makes it even easier to get the matches up on a proper screen.

Do they have it for the Apple TV 3? Or only the newest generations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2019, 09:01 PM   #1376
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesFanStrandedInEDM View Post
Do they have it for the Apple TV 3? Or only the newest generations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately just the 4 and 4K. But AirPlay works really well on the 3. You can even do background AirPlay so you can keep browsing CP as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 10:13 AM   #1377
Hockey-and_stuff
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny199r View Post
The press release that came with the announcement said no price increase.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Old 07-06-2019, 11:54 AM   #1378
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Chinese Super League content is already on Onesoccer today. They had Shanghai SIPG vs Shanghai Shenhua on at 5:30 am.

Now if they can get one or two European leagues, I can forget about the Premier League. Would love to see the Scottish Premiership and the Belgian First Division personally.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:03 PM   #1379
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Chinese Super League content is already on Onesoccer today. They had Shanghai SIPG vs Shanghai Shenhua on at 5:30 am.

Now if they can get one or two European leagues, I can forget about the Premier League. Would love to see the Scottish Premiership and the Belgian First Division personally.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Traditional_Ale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2019, 12:04 PM   #1380
Traditional_Ale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wednesday can't come soon enough.

So far, this is the oldest I've been.
Closed Thread

Tags
2xchamps , canadian premier league , canpl , cavalry fc , fc edmonton is no good , fuforge