Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-07-2019, 08:29 PM   #221
redforever
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
more research needs to be done, particularly in terms of usage but also what exactly was being smoked.

e-cigs have been around for years, without any of these issues coming up...so it seems like something has changed.

it could very well be the increased usage creating a larger sample size, leading to finding these connections between users. Or it could be users smoking THC oils, which most of the cases seem to indicate, in addition to smoking the manufacturer's products.
It could also be because enough time has elapsed and now long term effects are showing up.

People never got cancer overnight from smoking either.

And at one time, very few women smoked compared to men. After smoking 15 to 20 years, the incidences of women getting cancer from smoking started to catch up to men having cancer.
redforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 09:06 PM   #222
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by redforever View Post
It could also be because enough time has elapsed and now long term effects are showing up.

People never got cancer overnight from smoking either.

And at one time, very few women smoked compared to men. After smoking 15 to 20 years, the incidences of women getting cancer from smoking started to catch up to men having cancer.
No. These are young people with no extensive history of vaping.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:07 PM   #223
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

Is there a serious argument being made that vaping is likely not bad for you?

As far as I am aware the main function of the lungs is to get oxygen from the air in to the bloodstream.

Using e cigarettes as a vehicle to get nicotine in to your bloodstream means you ask your lungs to manage not only the nicotine but also whatever other accompanying chemicals are in the vapour. Maybe you don’t have the tar that you get with cigarettes, but still get things like formaldehyde and heavy metals.
DeluxeMoustache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 01:34 PM   #224
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

No. It’s not even up for discussion. Vaping is not healthy for you. The problem, as evidenced so well in this thread, as well as with the public and media, is that people seem to have a very difficult time using science based evidence as opposed to rumours, half truths and fear mongering.

Very little is known about the long term health effects of vaping. Is it 1/10th as dangerous as smoking?1/100th?1/1000th?

Lots of things aren’t healthy for you. But not everything that isn’t healthy is deadly and needs to be outlawed. Can vaping be healthy in moderation? Is it the e-liquids? Coils? Nicotine? Overuse?

The current hysteria is quite worrying. Instead of studying vaping and finding ways to make it safer thru regulation, we’re seeing reactionary blanket bans, which won’t work it’ll just push things underground and make it more dangerous.

For now, I know it’s a better way to deal with nicotine addiction than smoking. Hopefully with further study and education we can avoid the massive overreactions we’re seeing and make a safer product.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2019, 09:13 PM   #225
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Why don't you and vaping just get a room already?
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #226
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Every article I've seenentioned has included that the cbd oil people are modding their ecigs have been miximg it with vitamin E acetate oil. That's something thats definitely not vapable. Vaping has been aroumd longer than people think. Yet the ones being effected are teens buying modded vape pens with contaminated pods they are buying from questionable sellers...

Not saying vaping is healthy per se but more studies are needed . If older users where being diagnosed mayne it wouldn't just be hysteria but even then the majority of users today are ex heavy smokers. Hard to isolate if they would be effected by the years of smoking or vaping.

I have been vaping for 8 years. 5 with no nic. It's the sensation I like. I smoked 2 packs a day at one point for years. Since switching to vapes I got healthier overall. I got more energy I could breath,my blood pressure went down,my appetite came back, I actually started eating heathier because the foods I didn't like before tasted different, I lost weight because felt better .

Vaping isn't healthier than not vaping but its better than smoking.

Last edited by combustiblefuel; 09-08-2019 at 09:54 PM.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 09:46 PM   #227
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Also want to say I hate the marketing towards kids with flavour b.s.

Have you seen the alcohol ads on t.v . No one drank plain vodka in school it was flavored. Also if its not flavoured liquor they marketed it with soda .
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 10:29 PM   #228
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

5 reports of deaths due to vaping so far in the whole US this year, Snow mobile deaths in Ontario alone, around 30 a year, smoking, thus far around 300,000, you know for a little perspective.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 11:29 AM   #229
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
5 reports of deaths due to vaping so far in the whole US this year, Snow mobile deaths in Ontario alone, around 30 a year, smoking, thus far around 300,000, you know for a little perspective.
Yeah but we don't know the long term effects of vaping yet, that number could go from 5 to 1 billion trillion tomorrow.
Raekwon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 01:17 PM   #230
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raekwon View Post
Yeah but we don't know the long term effects of vaping yet, that number could go from 5 to 1 billion trillion tomorrow.
According to 'studies' done by the cigarette industry no doubt.
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-09-2019, 03:17 PM   #231
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Only 116 deaths in US mass shootings so far this year, so no need for gun control I guess.
Old 09-09-2019, 06:32 PM   #232
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
Only 116 deaths in US mass shootings so far this year, so no need for gun control I guess.
well if the 116 deaths were the only deaths due to guns you wouldn't need gun control, it's the 29,900 deaths due to just plain boring old non mass shootings that are the problem.
Old 09-10-2019, 11:23 AM   #233
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

^ *whoosh*
Old 09-10-2019, 02:15 PM   #234
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

how so? there were 5 deaths, that's it, only 5, I have no doubt that will increase in the future, it might even get up to a couple of hundred, which is still less than snow mobiling.
Old 09-10-2019, 02:46 PM   #235
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
how so? there were 5 deaths, that's it, only 5, I have no doubt that will increase in the future, it might even get up to a couple of hundred, which is still less than snow mobiling.
Mortality is not always the best way to measure health. The long term harmful effects on lungs might not kill you, but could still be crippling. The fact of the matter is, that the long term effects are still relatively unknown.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 03:53 PM   #236
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
If your criteria for giving something attention is that there is no other worse problem to be solved, nothing will ever get done.

My point was that, sure, it looks to be a small problem now, It's definitely not worth the same resources as should be put toward things like smoking cessation or traffic safety, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be examined at all.

Especially because it's something that is newer and seeing widespread use, ideally we catch any safety issues before a bunch of people are dead.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:38 PM   #237
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Mortality is not always the best way to measure health. The long term harmful effects on lungs might not kill you, but could still be crippling. The fact of the matter is, that the long term effects are still relatively unknown.
we know its better than smoking
Old 09-10-2019, 04:41 PM   #238
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
we know its better than smoking
I was just adding context to your argument.
TheIronMaiden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 04:49 PM   #239
shogged
First Line Centre

Exp:

The oils causing lipid pneumonia makes a lot of sense, probably would avoid vaping those if it were me. I read an article comparing it to people drinking mineral oil in the past for constipation, and then inhaling leftover droplets in their throats as they slept.
shogged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2019, 01:34 PM   #240
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/11/polit...ors/index.html

well, that was quick... guns still on the streets though...
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote