Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2019, 03:56 PM   #581
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

It also wouldn't surprise me if ordering black cars is cheaper than ordering white cars, since I've always understood that black is generally the cheapest paint colour.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 03:58 PM   #582
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Weird, I though I read it was white.

nm

Last edited by jayswin; 07-10-2019 at 04:01 PM.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:00 PM   #583
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
If I'm remembering correctly that was the total cost difference per car, most of that was the fact that the Tauras and Explorer are cheaper to make than the old Crown Vic. I want to say the actual decaling is around $500 a car, compared to the $1000-ish it was for the old blue and red striping
Ah, yes that makes a lot more sense. So it's $500 for say 500 vehicles, that is not insignificant, I guess.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:02 PM   #584
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure about price difference of the car based on the colour, but apparently black cars do better at re-sale time.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 04:12 PM   #585
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...s-too-menacing

Here's the 2018 follow up to the first Herald article. Apparently it saves $5000 per car, which I guess I'll trust but man that seems weird, when you think about it.

They say "You just buy a black car and toss two white decals plus police decals", but it's not like they were painting the old vehicles. They were just plain white cars with a blue decal wrapped around the middle of the vehicle.

So they're saying two white door decals cost $5000 less than that thin wrap around decal? Screw criticizing police, I'm off to put stock in that decal company!!
I had wondered about the savings, too. But you have to look at what the decals are and how many there are.

On the new cars, it's one big white door decal, some gold letters and the high-vis stuff.

On the old cars, (and I'm assuming the blue/red stripe was one big decal) you had the two rear quarter panel decals (with the non-emerg number in them), the two rear door decals, the two front door decals (with Calgary, Police and the seal on them), and the front quarter panel decals. Depending on when you are looking, the front quarter panel decals had to be custom made per car, as they had the unit number in them (the 4 digit number you see in the blue stripe). I've seen some of the vehicles without the numbers in the blue stripe, but numbers were blue and above the red stripe, so you'd need the blue numbers for that (which still seems cheaper than 2x custom decals per vehicle). The rear had blue letters and numbers and the high vis stuff.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #586
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was talking to a cop last summer at a car accident and he did mention they don't have issues with the decals starting to peel off in the sun after a bit like the old ones did, so that's probably some money saved too not fixing and re-applying them
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #587
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, no kidding. Did you honestly think that as an anonymous poster on the internet you were going to say "just trust me guys, this was a good expenditure, I can't tell you why but you'll just have to believe me on this one", and the skeptical people would go "welp, good enough for me, case closed"? That's not even a rhetorical question, I'm genuinely curious what you thought was going to happen.

Guess I'm in a hard place then Just tried to contribute to the conversation as someone who has the facts, and any mod can gladly message me to verify that. I'm not some random contributor around here
Old 07-11-2019, 08:28 PM   #588
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
Guess I'm in a hard place then Just tried to contribute to the conversation as someone who has the facts, and any mod can gladly message me to verify that. I'm not some random contributor around here
No one cares about facts which you use to claim show things that would change our mind, but "unfortunately you can't tell us". These amazing mystery, unshareable facts.

You didn't contribute at all.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 08:30 PM   #589
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

How topical, I made some CPS inspired police cars for GTAV last week

Spoiler!

Maybe I'll do an armoured car haha

Last edited by btimbit; 07-12-2019 at 09:03 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 11:17 AM   #590
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sounds like CPS is planning on expanding this to all traffic stops. Period.

"To comply with this federal legislation, all drivers in Calgary can now expect to provide a breath sample when they are pulled over by Calgary police for a traffic stop or checkstop," the release said.

Which is a crock in my opinion. Federal legislation gives police the power to demand a breath sample on request, but it is always at the officer's discretion. They are framing this as the legislation is making it mandatory and they need to do this in order to comply, which it is not. Or am I mistaken in what the law says?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...nded-1.5445806
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 02:24 PM   #591
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

"To comply with this federal legislation, all drivers in Calgary can now expect to provide a breath sample when they are pulled over by Calgary police for a traffic stop or checkstop," the release said.

Which is a crock in my opinion. Federal legislation gives police the power to demand a breath sample on request, but it is always at the officer's discretion. They are framing this as the legislation is making it mandatory and they need to do this in order to comply, which it is not. Or am I mistaken in what the law says?

Agreed. This is an unnecessary overstep and misuse of authority. The problem is the general populace is too complacent to push back on something like this.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:13 PM   #592
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post

This sounds like its going to be a logistical nightmare.

Before they even get to 'License and Registration' you have to provide a field sobriety test? It already takes Cops like a half-hour to write a ticket how long is this going to take now?

They could always ask for a breath sample if they had a reason to suspect a driver had been drinking, what was wrong with that?

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #593
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guys if you're not guilty you have nothing to worry about.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:17 PM   #594
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post

So not true.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OMG!WTF! For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 04:18 PM   #595
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Ironically....yes, you do.

You could be under 0.08 and still incur significant legal and financial issues despite not having broken any laws.

The downside of casting a wider net in addition to catching more fish is snagging more garbage.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 04:22 PM   #596
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Ironically....yes, you do.

You could be under 0.08 and still incur significant legal and financial issues despite not having broken any laws.

The downside of casting a wider net in addition to catching more fish is snagging more garbage.

Totally. The margin of error on those field tests combined with the wide discretion given to police officers means a lot of pretty innocent people end with with impaired charges, warnings, or having their cars impounded.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2020, 04:23 PM   #597
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
So not true.
Sorry. I forgot this thread is so old. Look at my posting history. I think this whole law is totally Orwellian.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:25 PM   #598
Wiggum_PI
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
So not true.
He's being sarcastic (I hope).

The new law is a violation of Charter rights and will most likely be ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. I just wonder how long it will take.
Wiggum_PI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 04:31 PM   #599
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hit a deer on 22x in November and the rc's gave me a breathalyzer. I blew a .03, apparently my last drink over a week before was a strong one. The officer said he was going to cite me for obstruction because I lied to him when he asked if I had been drinking. I told him his machine was ponked and that made him even more mad. Just a total clown show with these things.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2020, 05:35 PM   #600
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So the police are going to administer a test anytime they pull you over anyhow...why can’t I have a beer in my car again?
I could kind of understand before, when open alcohol would be reasonable grounds to have to test for sobriety. It if they are going to arbitrarily perform them anyway, it’s not really wasting anyone’s resources now, is it?

Example, I picked up some beers, and am now waiting for someone. Why is it a crime again if I have a beer while waiting? An officer can administer a test for no reason, what’s the issue with being well within legal?