Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2020, 05:15 PM   #2981
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
It's crazy to me that people buy Collectors Editions
Depends on what it is, how much it is and how displayable it is. For instance, it's kinda cool to see a few figurines or things in my gaming area that represent games I really expected to enjoy. Art books and steel books don't do it for me.

For instance, I ponied up extra for one of the Yakuza series CE. It had whiskey glasses that came with it. A little bit over priced for whiskey glasses, sure. But not horridly more. Seeing the glass makes me laugh a little as I reminisce about beating up punks while drinking spirits.

Some other stuff like the Soul Calibur 6 figurine is a bit hard to justify without being called a perv though (I know someone who bought it) and I thought the Last of Us 2 CE was especially bad.

Then you got the Death Stranding CE... That thing might go down in absolute infamy for the most ridiculous CE ever conceived. A light up dome with a baby inside?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 06:39 PM   #2982
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

Whew... I managed to clear my first 32 heat run attempt in Hades with the bow.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 07:25 PM   #2983
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

As we have this convo, I preorder the Sackboy: A Big Adventure special edition with tiger costume Sackboy plush
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:47 AM   #2984
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
As we have this convo, I preorder the Sackboy: A Big Adventure special edition with tiger costume Sackboy plush
This is for your kid, right? A grown man isn't buy a plush toy is he?
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:53 AM   #2985
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
This is for your kid, right? A grown man isn't buy a plush toy is he?
A grown man is just a big kid
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Raekwon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 09:20 AM   #2986
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

You're in the thread where a bunch of adults are talking about video games

It's cool to like stuff
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 09:51 AM   #2987
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
You're in the thread where a bunch of adults are talking about video games

It's cool to like stuff
I get this, video games offer a social experience few other mediums do during a pandemic. I get to hang out with my buddies and fulfill my human need for social interaction without having to possibly expose myself to a virus that has a high potential to cause serious issues for close family.

Liking stuff is cool, I guess I just tend to forget about "Bronies" and other stuff like that as it seems incomprehensible to me.

To each their own I guess, I just didn't realize this was a common thing.

PS: my post about the Master Chief helmet from Halo 3 Legendary Edition still stands, I was a teenager when I spent the ungodly amount it cost to have that helmet.

Last edited by Since1984; 10-01-2020 at 10:31 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:16 AM   #2988
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Now OOC is a brony? hahaha come on.

Some gamers have to be the least self-aware people in the world. Honestly, collectors editions of anything are a ridiculous way to waste your money. Any pointless collectables/trinkets/whatever are (those pop figures come to mind). Even the people who buy movies and CDs to add to their collection are engaging in a completely pointless waste of money. And hell, I'm sure there are plenty of "grown men" who could make a similar comment about "grown men" playing videogames, right?

But! If it makes you happy, do it. And if you're going to waste money on something pointless/childish/ridiculous then don't be the one who pretends to have enough cred to judge anyone else. If I have to look at a guy with kids who is spending an extra $30 on a collectors edition with a toy, vs a guy spending $1200 to have two virtually identical gaming systems... damn... who looks silly?

Anyways, rant over. Like what you like and don't act like being a hardcore gamer is any more comprehensible than collecting plush toys. We're all just trying to be happy and enjoy our lives.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:29 AM   #2989
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Now OOC is a brony? hahaha come on.

Some gamers have to be the least self-aware people in the world. Honestly, collectors editions of anything are a ridiculous way to waste your money. Any pointless collectables/trinkets/whatever are (those pop figures come to mind). Even the people who buy movies and CDs to add to their collection are engaging in a completely pointless waste of money. And hell, I'm sure there are plenty of "grown men" who could make a similar comment about "grown men" playing videogames, right?

But! If it makes you happy, do it. And if you're going to waste money on something pointless/childish/ridiculous then don't be the one who pretends to have enough cred to judge anyone else. If I have to look at a guy with kids who is spending an extra $30 on a collectors edition with a toy, vs a guy spending $1200 to have two virtually identical gaming systems... damn... who looks silly?

Anyways, rant over. Like what you like and don't act like being a hardcore gamer is any more comprehensible than collecting plush toys. We're all just trying to be happy and enjoy our lives.
I never said OOC was a Brony, I said they exist. Just like a lot of people exist, those who spend $1200 on new consoles, those who believe in outdated theology, those who need to be a pc crusader, etc.

That is your holier than thou mind making things up again.

If you read my whole post, you would see that I did say "To each their own" and I ended it there.

My apologies OOC, I was not calling you a Brony, merely stating my inability to comprehend some peoples choices.

I am sure when I purchase certain products, IE a gaming console, some see that as childish, dumb or incomprehensible.

Last edited by Since1984; 10-01-2020 at 10:32 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #2990
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

OOTC isn’t a Brony, he’s a furry.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2020, 11:07 AM   #2991
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
I never said OOC was a Brony, I said they exist. Just like a lot of people exist, those who spend $1200 on new consoles, those who believe in outdated theology, those who need to be a pc crusader, etc.

That is your holier than thou mind making things up again.

If you read my whole post, you would see that I did say "To each their own" and I ended it there.

My apologies OOC, I was not calling you a Brony, merely stating my inability to comprehend some peoples choices.

I am sure when I purchase certain products, IE a gaming console, some see that as childish, dumb or incomprehensible.
Come on man, comments like this are just stupid. Grow up.

You showed disbelief that a grown man would buy a plush toy. If you really just could not have imagined that then sure, my bad, but as a hardcore gamer I find it hard to believe you really had trouble imagining it. If you were saying it to cast stones, then the comment applies.

Even bringing up "Bronies and stuff like that" in light of OOC buying some collectors edition makes zero sense. Is buying a collectors edition of a videogame that comes with a toy anything like being an adult male fan of My Little Pony? Not really.

It's all good, you just made a silly comment.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 11:29 AM   #2992
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

We all agree Bronies are not cool.

We all agree buying collector edition stuff is really stupid, yet it seems we've all done it and continue doing it.

Spending ungodly sums on PC parts and consoles is cool though.

This is the way.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 08:42 AM   #2993
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Reviews on Star Wars Squadron are very good.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 09:00 AM   #2994
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Reviews on Star Wars Squadron are very good.
Not surprising, everything I have seen so far on the game looks like they nailed the old school in-cockpit type combat sim of Star Wars: X-Wing. Really looking forward to picking it up, possibly in a month at a discounted price thanks to Game Pass and EA Play.

Note: Star Wars Squadrons will be playable on the PS5/XSS/XSX but only through backwards compatibility.

Last edited by Since1984; 10-02-2020 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-02-2020, 09:17 AM   #2995
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I mean it’s not like I take it to bed and cuddle or anything lol. My wife gives me one shelf of the entertainment center to put dumb gaming stuff, it will make a good decor to represent one of my favorite franchises. It’s just fun, no judging.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2020, 12:10 PM   #2996
Wastedyouth
Truculent!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
I mean it’s not like I take it to bed and cuddle or anything lol. My wife gives me one shelf of the entertainment center to put dumb gaming stuff, it will make a good decor to represent one of my favorite franchises. It’s just fun, no judging.
C'moooooooon budday!
Wastedyouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 01:32 PM   #2997
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #2998
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
best of the trilogy IMO, despite the dungeon-crawly nature.
Finished it.

I am still in the same place I was when I wrote my earlier post. Great game, still, but I think actually the worst of the trilogy. The ultimate reveal of who the bad guy really is was not who I was expecting (I was thinking it was the boss of the 2nd game again), so that was cool, but I just don't have much emotional investment in
Spoiler!

There's still lots to enjoy there, and it was fun and at times challenging (I actually took 5 tries to beat the end boss, partially because I'd spread my best characters across the parties). But even there, the pre-end-boss boss run enemies were just recycled from previous games without anything really behind them. Just recycled assets with a new colour palette slapped on them.

Anyway, I paid full price for this on steam and feel like it was totally worth my money. The previous two though were not only worth my money but that wasn't even the standard I was looking at, the standard there was "I wonder, are these collectively the best JRPG I've ever played". So if it sounds like I'm critical I'm grading on a pretty serious curve.
Quote:
Azure has a hidden quest where if you miss it, the plot twist can come a bit out of left-field. So keep that in mind when you get to it.
I guess my next task is to figure out how to get Azure to work, unlike with these ones where I could just go on Steam and buy them.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 10-02-2020 at 03:51 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 03:57 PM   #2999
cDnStealth
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've playing Squadrons for the past few hours and it is so much fun.
cDnStealth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cDnStealth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #3000
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Full working gameplay starts around 35:00

Last edited by Cliche; 10-03-2020 at 11:37 AM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote