Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2020, 01:46 PM   #1461
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Then you have no second line, a decent third line, and a terrible fourth line. One the bright side, you do get those lottery picks that so may of you are so excited about.

Old 07-11-2020, 01:51 PM   #1462
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Hall - Eichel - Lindholm
Tkachuk - Backlund - Mangiapane
Lucic - Ryan - Dube
Bennett - UFA - Phillips

Looks decent to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 01:51 PM   #1463
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
Would you guys pay a pick or prospect for Demko? He could be our backup goaltender that plays 1/3 of the games behind Rittich, would be a buy-low option where we wouldn't have to give up a ton for him and not a whole lot of cap space either. Have him exposed at the Seattle draft so that it makes it tougher for Seattle to decide who they are taking from the Flames.

Why is Vancouver moving Demko, especially if he’s a buy low option?

He’s the Canucks back-up, and that assumes Markstrom signs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 07-11-2020, 01:59 PM   #1464
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Why is Vancouver moving Demko, especially if he’s a buy low option?

He’s the Canucks back-up, and that assumes Markstrom signs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Apparently on TSN 1040, it was under the assumption that if Markstrom is signed, they don’t want to lose Demko to Seattle. I feel like Calgary wouldn’t care if Seattle took Demko.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:03 PM   #1465
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Why does Calagry spend asset(s) to get Demko just to expose him to Seattle - and not care- when they could just spend assets to get Seattle to take someone else off their roster and free up extremely valuable cap space in the process?
Old 07-11-2020, 02:11 PM   #1466
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Apparently on TSN 1040, it was under the assumption that if Markstrom is signed, they don’t want to lose Demko to Seattle. I feel like Calgary wouldn’t care if Seattle took Demko.

If Calgary spent assets for Demko,it would not be to leave him unprotected .
Old 07-11-2020, 02:52 PM   #1467
simmer2
Franchise Player

Exp:

I highly doubt Eichel moves from Buffalo. They'll make an acquisition to bring someone to play with Eichel.

Both Jersey and Buffalo need to do some work up front, so it isn't so far fetched to see Treliving have talks with those GM's, but I doubt we see an Eichel come this way.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to simmer2 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 03:35 PM   #1468
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaudreau is not going to Buffalo for Eichel. I don't know why we're wasting so much time on Eichel. It makes almost no sense from the Sabres' perspective. Why would a rebuilding team get an asset, only to lose it two years later? Sacrificing the future to "win now", when Eichel has so many years left on his contract, makes no sense. If any of you know any Sabres fans. I could potentially see a trade for Sam Reinhart, but even that's a stretch.

NY, Philly, New Jersey are all much more likely.
There has been virtually no discussion on potential NY or NJ trades.
The Following User Says Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 03:43 PM   #1469
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Would you guys pay a pick or prospect for Demko? He could be our backup goaltender that plays 1/3 of the games behind Rittich, would be a buy-low option where we wouldn't have to give up a ton for him and not a whole lot of cap space either. Have him exposed at the Seattle draft so that it makes it tougher for Seattle to decide who they are taking from the Flames.
Rather than spend an asset, we could invent a time machine and go back to the 2014 draft and gain access to the draft table and announce Thatcher Demko instead of Mason McDonald.

Guess that was a carryover of the being the smartest guy in the room mentality that permeated the team during the feaster/weisbrod era. What a disaster of a pick
Old 07-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #1470
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

^ That one was on Burke while he was showing Treliving the ropes
Old 07-11-2020, 06:18 PM   #1471
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Original FFIV View Post
Rather than spend an asset, we could invent a time machine and go back to the 2014 draft and gain access to the draft table and announce Thatcher Demko instead of Mason McDonald.

Guess that was a carryover of the being the smartest guy in the room mentality that permeated the team during the feaster/weisbrod era. What a disaster of a pick

I don’t think that’s fair. Demko was the consensus goalie pick for sure, but McDonald was a close second.

It wasn’t trying to be the smartest guy in the room. Burke is on the record saying that they loved both Demko and McDonald, but chose Mason because they were scared away by Demko’s hip surgery that summer. A very valid point for a goalie prospect.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:24 PM   #1472
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
I wonder if Arizona would move Nick Schmaltz for Johnny. Now there's a guy I like. Uber skilled, RHS, signed long-term.
shut this forum down asap
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Love For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 06:41 PM   #1473
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

You're one to talk about undervaluing Flames players... is Monahan a top-six forward yet?

The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 07:37 PM   #1474
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I don’t think that’s fair. Demko was the consensus goalie pick for sure, but McDonald was a close second.

It wasn’t trying to be the smartest guy in the room. Burke is on the record saying that they loved both Demko and McDonald, but chose Mason because they were scared away by Demko’s hip surgery that summer. A very valid point for a goalie prospect.
Derailing thread but mcdonald was 3rd ranked G by iss. So it was a bit of a reach. Maybe over thought the hip issue with demko but this is the same group which made light of the fact Bennett couldn’t do a pull up (which was probably related to an injury which required surgery in his first year with us). Pulled out my old hockey news and McDonald listed as a project goalie which is a poor use of a high second rounder. Crappy draft for sure but facts are we blew every pick after Bennett.

As for OP, can’t see the Canucks gifting demko to us at a fair price. If rittich can win a round or two for us, happy to run with him. Have to see what we have in Zutroy as well before we start shelling out more assets to address our goaltending.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:46 PM   #1475
Crown Royal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Derailing thread but mcdonald was 3rd ranked G by iss. So it was a bit of a reach. Maybe over thought the hip issue with demko but this is the same group which made light of the fact Bennett couldn’t do a pull up (which was probably related to an injury which required surgery in his first year with us). Pulled out my old hockey news and McDonald listed as a project goalie which is a poor use of a high second rounder. Crappy draft for sure but facts are we blew every pick after Bennett.

As for OP, can’t see the Canucks gifting demko to us at a fair price. If rittich can win a round or two for us, happy to run with him. Have to see what we have in Zutroy as well before we start shelling out more assets to address our goaltending.
I don't pay much attention to scouting services, but one thing I remember is before the second round started, Sam Cosentino was on 960 saying he wouldn't be surprised if McDonald went before Demko
Old 07-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #1476
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Don’t shoot the messenger.

According to on NHL executive, the Rangers could be busy this upcoming off season:
I see New York on the brink. They have some young talent all over their lineup and it's time to add another scorer. Jack Eichel would cost too much, but someone like Johnny Gaudreau could cost a little bit less, and the Rangers may be rich enough to handle a trade like this. Georgiev, and one of their young D - maybe a Anthony Deangelo, throw in a draft-pick and that would be an interesting package for the Flames to mull over. Keep an eye on the Rangers.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2020/0...offer.html?m=1
Old 07-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #1477
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
I don't pay much attention to scouting services, but one thing I remember is before the second round started, Sam Cosentino was on 960 saying he wouldn't be surprised if McDonald went before Demko

Yeah there was lots of publications that had it as a toss up between McDonald and and Demko.

Doesn’t matter much anyways, I don’t think Demko is a star or anything and we grabbed Rittich for free
Old 07-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #1478
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I might stop actively cheering for the Flames if they pursued Tony DeAngelo. He is by far and away my least favourite player and person in the league right now.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2020, 08:00 PM   #1479
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown Royal View Post
Maybe had an in on the flames valuing McDonald more than demko. Swing and a miss, just a bad draft overall and a really bad one for us especially.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:06 PM   #1480
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Don’t shoot the messenger.

According to on NHL executive, the Rangers could be busy this upcoming off season:
I see New York on the brink. They have some young talent all over their lineup and it's time to add another scorer. Jack Eichel would cost too much, but someone like Johnny Gaudreau could cost a little bit less, and the Rangers may be rich enough to handle a trade like this. Georgiev, and one of their young D - maybe a Anthony Deangelo, throw in a draft-pick and that would be an interesting package for the Flames to mull over. Keep an eye on the Rangers.

https://www.nhltraderumors.me/2020/0...offer.html?m=1
"According to on NHL executive" aka a fan poll on Eklund's blog:
https://hockeybuzz.com/blog/Eklund/A...es-To/1/106218
Closed Thread