Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-08-2021, 02:40 PM   #41
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayedreflex View Post
I wonder who's playing RW between Gaudreau and Tkachuk? A lot of times a winger playing his opposite side is someone who has a killer shot (eg. Ovie, Tarasenko), which I don't think either of them really have. For some reason I think Gaudreau might be better suited on the RW since I think he is less likely to need to use his body to protect the puck, which is one of the advantages of being a winger on your strong side. He also has played a bit of RW on the power play though not all the time.
The benefit of correct handedness is in the D zone, where it sure helps when the puck comes around on the boards and you are on your forehand (eg - the play where Tkachuk failed to exit the zone against Toronto he was on the right side for some reason and that's why he was backing out).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:50 PM   #42
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I think Anderson's struggles are tied with Gio's declining play. I think Gio will benefit from playing with Tanev and Anderson will benefit from not playing with Gio. I'm surprised it took this long to make this move quite frankly.
Yup sometimes pairing just work and sometimes they don't

For whatever reason Andersson and Gio just don't work well together. I think that this top 4 might provide more balance, especially that Tanev and Hanifin have dropped off a little as a pair.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:09 PM   #43
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yup sometimes pairing just work and sometimes they don't

For whatever reason Andersson and Gio just don't work well together. I think that this top 4 might provide more balance, especially that Tanev and Hanifin have dropped off a little as a pair.
I get early on why they didn’t make the switch but now it makes too much sense. Hanifin and rasmus played well together and I think Gio might play better with tanev. Can’t hurt to try it as it can’t get any worse
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:13 PM   #44
soulchoice
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum View Post
Not necessarily injured right now, but for a guy who made a living being a very accurate finisher, and was one of the best in the business until recently... Wrist surgery doesn't necessarily reset things perfectly.

I dunno, but that glove snag the other night when he picked the corner, wouldn't have been close to a save a couple years ago. Pretty obvious issues, especially with shot power.
I can’t recall, do you mean the save from Mike Smith? If so, was it just a quick snap shot with little release? The reason I ask is wrist strength is normally a small piece of the any wrist/snap/shot shot power puzzle. As power from a shot generally isn’t reliant on wrist strength but more lower body and core strength, maintaining good mobility through your hips and thoracic spine, and on rotational power, especially with the change in the fundamental mechanics in shooting with the introduction of whippier sticks.

If one had to quickly roof or raise a puck with velocity/power in close with no ability to use the full body in any respect to shoot, then I could see a wrist issue being a cause of such, as you stated.
soulchoice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:04 PM   #45
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
It's hard to pin down. He wins faceoffs, which surely involves wrists (though maybe not fine motor skills). His passing is not better or worse than before. At least one of the two goals he scored against Montreal was a good shot. But his shot just isn't there. That said, his high and wide miss the other night seemed to have some velocity so maybe not a wrist strength issue. Maybe it's hand, not wrist.

Whatever it is, it's obviously not something they eel needs immediate attention, and Sutter seems to think he does enough to stay in - to the point he's on the both special teams.
Agreed, it's infuriating, and like you say, he's totally making fine passes still and some of those other areas are also still fine.
One thing I've noticed is reaction time. There's been a few times when he's received a great pass in the slot and his turning time to get aimed at net has been crazy laborious.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:33 PM   #46
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flame On View Post
Agreed, it's infuriating, and like you say, he's totally making fine passes still and some of those other areas are also still fine.
One thing I've noticed is reaction time. There's been a few times when he's received a great pass in the slot and his turning time to get aimed at net has been crazy laborious.
I think he’s been getting way less clean passes in the slot. He’s getting stick checked and deflected a lot. He may be a little too close to the net, where’s he’s getting double teamed a lot. Plus, the opposition obviously has not had to respect a pass all the way across to the other wing.

If he lines up with Mangiapane and Dube there will be attacks from all 3 directions. None of those guys are afraid to shoot. And Mangiapane and Dube both attack the net.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:40 PM   #47
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I think he’s been getting way less clean passes in the slot. He’s getting stick checked and deflected a lot. He may be a little too close to the net, where’s he’s getting double teamed a lot. Plus, the opposition obviously has not had to respect a pass all the way across to the other wing.

If he lines up with Mangiapane and Dube there will be attacks from all 3 directions. None of those guys are afraid to shoot. And Mangiapane and Dube both attack the net.
You may find it hard to believe, but I hope he thrives there
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:28 PM   #48
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
It's crazy how after 2/3 years of being M.i.a a coach finally splits up 23 and 13

For a long time it always felt like those 2 were inseparable which made if difficult for the 3 guy if they didn't mesh with him. I like that Sutter is doing this as that top line needs to be a lot better. Now if Johnny can just work with these guys and get to know their tendencies.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DazzlinDino For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 05:43 PM   #49
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

It's the right thing to do and 13 and 23 shouldn't spend another minute together the rest of this season. The Flames badly need to see how they perform in an extended period apart from each other to gain as much information as possible ahead of this summer's blockbuster(s).

I would like to see Monahan get an audition at RW, too. There is no downside to enhancing your knowledge of all your players, even if out of their comfort zone.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 05:49 PM   #50
kyuss275
Franchise Player

Exp:

I like the new lines but far to late. This should have happened a month ago at the very least.
kyuss275 is offline   Reply With Quote