Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2021, 09:39 PM   #41
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I know not technically the same city, but East Rutherford looks close enough on the map to be in the same commutershed as Brooklyn. Am I underestimating just how mad traffic is there?
Traffic's only mad from 7am-9pm.

I've only been once, and leaving at noon it took us 2+ hours to get from Midtown to JFK (a bit closer than Nassau).

NYI play 3 of the next 4 nights at home, then a few off days before 3 in 4 on the road. Then:
@ WAS
@ NYR
home
@ BUF x2
home x2
@ BOS

Too bad for these two that they don't have any road games in NJD left.

I don't actually know how NY area teams handle travelling to games against each other? I'd guess that if you're playing in MSG you check-in to a nearby hotel the night before...maybe that's the case for all three arenas?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:09 PM   #42
CFO
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Do either need to quarantine before playing with islanders?
CFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 10:20 PM   #43
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zajac not in a Devils uniform is going to be weird
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 12:47 AM   #44
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
That's how you get your 1st round picks... Flames are you paying attention!
Tre will be looking at another goalie no doubt...
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:49 AM   #45
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverFlameFan View Post
I hope we could get a first for Bennett + Ryan packaged. Pipe dream, maybe.

Great deal for the Isles. I am rooting for them.
What’s on the other end of your pipe?😂😭
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSharp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 02:11 AM   #46
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

At this point if you can get a third for Ryan I'd consider that a win. A total buyers market.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 02:19 AM   #47
bobbylouie
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post

I don't actually know how NY area teams handle travelling to games against each other? I'd guess that if you're playing in MSG you check-in to a nearby hotel the night before...maybe that's the case for all three arenas?

They treat them "like" home games. The teams meet at their home arena early in the day then bus to the other arena in the afternoon for night games.

As long as you avoid the busiest times, it's only 30 minutes from MSG to Newark, and not much more than that from MSG to Nassau Coliseum.

Some of the Rangers' players get permission to head right from their homes to Nassau Coliseum because they live on Long Island.

It's a little trickier/longer from Nassau to Newark, but they just leave a little earlier in the day.
In every instance, it's completely unnecessary to check into a hotel the night before that would only be marginally closer.

The two L.A. area teams do the same thing.
bobbylouie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bobbylouie For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 06:01 AM   #48
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saqe View Post
At this point if you can get a third for Ryan I'd consider that a win. A total buyers market.

I don’t think there was any expectation that Ryan was ever worth more than a third, and that was likely reaching high. If it’s a buyers market, a 4th may be out of reach.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 06:59 AM   #49
Skyceman
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Lou would likely be very familiar with these players.
Skyceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:09 AM   #50
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Personally, I kind of like the idea of keeping Ryan and re-signing him to a cheaper deal for next season. I mean obviously, you could trade him and sign him again in the off-season but that feels less likely that he'd sign here for like 850k or something
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:11 AM   #51
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Ryan has been good, but why sign him to take that 4LC role when we have Gawdin waiting right there for his shot? And at close to league minimum?
Toonage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 08:25 AM   #52
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ryan is the kind of guy you keep around if you're doing a rebuild. He still adds some stability to the team and and can be a decent leader if need be.
Old 04-08-2021, 08:40 AM   #53
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
Personally, I kind of like the idea of keeping Ryan and re-signing him to a cheaper deal for next season. I mean obviously, you could trade him and sign him again in the off-season but that feels less likely that he'd sign here for like 850k or something
I'd say this is a very real possibility.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 09:50 AM   #54
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylouie View Post
They treat them "like" home games. The teams meet at their home arena early in the day then bus to the other arena in the afternoon for night games.

As long as you avoid the busiest times, it's only 30 minutes from MSG to Newark, and not much more than that from MSG to Nassau Coliseum.

Some of the Rangers' players get permission to head right from their homes to Nassau Coliseum because they live on Long Island.

It's a little trickier/longer from Nassau to Newark, but they just leave a little earlier in the day.
In every instance, it's completely unnecessary to check into a hotel the night before that would only be marginally closer.

Makes sense. What about matinee games? I suppose they are weekends so maybe not so bad?
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 12:27 PM   #55
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbylouie View Post

Devils have done both. For afternoon games, often they'll stay in Manhattan the night before (though they're not doing that when they play them next week, bus departing rink at 10 AM). For night games, it's more likely that they would skate at Prudential Center in the morning and then bus to MSG around 4:00.

For Islanders, almost always they'll stay the night before at the Marriott beside the Coliseum. I'm not sure what they did for Brooklyn.

They also never fly to Philadelphia. They'll bus there, but will stay the night before.

Islanders will stay in New Jersey the day before a Devils game. I'm not sure what Rangers do.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:33 PM   #56
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney Crosby's Hat View Post
Devils have done both. For afternoon games, often they'll stay in Manhattan the night before (though they're not doing that when they play them next week, bus departing rink at 10 AM). For night games, it's more likely that they would skate at Prudential Center in the morning and then bus to MSG around 4:00.

For Islanders, almost always they'll stay the night before at the Marriott beside the Coliseum. I'm not sure what they did for Brooklyn.

They also never fly to Philadelphia. They'll bus there, but will stay the night before.

Islanders will stay in New Jersey the day before a Devils game. I'm not sure what Rangers do.
Wow that's a lot of info. How do you know all this? You used to play for the Devils? LOL
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 03:34 PM   #57
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

I'd love to see Ryan return but I think he winds up in Seattle.

TheScorpion is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheScorpion For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 04:38 PM   #58
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Both of them seem like obvious fits for the Islanders and everyone in the universe knew that 1st was getting dealt, so this is no surprise. It's just hard to see them getting past Tampa or Carolina if they get that far.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 04:55 PM   #59
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geeoff View Post
He'll get more than that on the open market. If the Flames want him next year, the contract is like $2.5/2yr. Which would be good value for what he brings.
Old 04-08-2021, 05:22 PM   #60
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertGQ View Post
Wow that's a lot of info. How do you know all this? You used to play for the Devils? LOL
I've worked for them over the past two years haha.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sidney Crosby's Hat For This Useful Post: