Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2021, 10:18 AM   #61
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResAlien View Post
If this thread has taught me anything you should probably call child services and tell them you’re worried about the children’s welfare in that situation. Sometimes you have to bend the truth to get what you want.
A dog barking all day is breaking the bylaw prohibiting dogs from barking all day. It's also reasonable to be concerned for a dog's welfare because they're barking all day while also being annoyed by the noise. When calling bylaw and highlighting your concern above your annoyance, you're not being dishonest and you're not crying wolf. Either way, the infraction is the barking and that's the basis of the complaint.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #62
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, see this is your schtick right here.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #63
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Because people will go to work and their dog will bark all day everyday. If a kid was crying bloody murder at 10pm at night everytime it saw another dog walk by i’m sure people would have an issue with it.
In the Pandemic World we live in where lots of people are forced to work from home, your neighbour leaving and their dog barking all day is basically a War Crime and/or demands 'Pistols at Dawn.'

We no longer abide civil conflict resolution!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:19 AM   #64
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
He’d make a great bylaw officer for dog complaints.
I would. I should moonlight doing that. Hell, I'll do it for free. I'd at least care and I'd at least recognize how disruptive barking is.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:21 AM   #65
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
BTW, this is a pretty poor attitude. I'm not a "Karen" for expecting laws to be upheld. Entitled is thinking your dog can bark and ####, thus disturbing people, free of consequence. There's nothing entitled about expecting bylaw to enforce bylaws. Lack of staffing doesn't make me a Karen. What's the point of the public being able to call bylaw with legitimate problems if the call centre agents just roll their eyes at our expectation that they'll assist? I don't understand your perspective here.
Ah, but you AREN'T calling with a legitimate concern. Your concern is the dog barking or the accumulation of dog crap, both of which are valid concerns. However, you are calling and lying about being concerned about the animals welfare in an attempt to change the response time.

THAT is what makes this an entitled Karen post. That you can't see that is a/the problem.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #66
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
Yeah, see this is your schtick right here.
Really? So this is a gimmick? A comic routine?

A. It's not even funny.

B. Is it so hard to imagine somebody is annoyed at dog #### and dog barking?

You have to be kidding me.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:22 AM   #67
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
A dog barking all day is breaking the bylaw prohibiting dogs from barking all day. It's also reasonable to be concerned for a dog's welfare because they're barking all day while also being annoyed by the noise. When calling bylaw and highlighting your concern above your annoyance, you're not being dishonest and you're not crying wolf. Either way, the infraction is the barking and that's the basis of the complaint.
But it doesn't even work. Trust me, someone called about our neighbors dog barking, the neighbor got one letter about six months ago about the barking and that it is fineable by the bylaws. Six months later and the dog still barks and they haven't received a single fine.

Dog bylaws are likely DFL on the priority list for bylaw cops, and deservedly so.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #68
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Ah, but you AREN'T calling with a legitimate concern. Your concern is the dog barking or the accumulation of dog crap, both of which are valid concerns. However, you are calling and lying about being concerned about the animals welfare in an attempt to change the response time.

THAT is what makes this an entitled Karen post. That you can't see that is a/the problem.
The problem is ACTUALLY that bylaw won't respond in a reasonable time if at all to address the bylaw that is being broken on its own merit. You need to frame it in a way that will get a response. Entitlement has nothing to do with it. You honestly have misunderstood what a Karen is and you don't seem to understand the definition of the word 'entitlement'.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:25 AM   #69
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A. It's not even funny.

We know.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #70
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My experience calling the city is very different. There was a dog a few houses down that was left in a cage all day every day, poor thing barked and not in a way dogs bark when being protective. The dog was distressed and wanted out.

Don't know exactly what was done but the next day the dog was not in the cage. Person still owns the dog I see it being walked all the time.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to zamler For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:26 AM   #71
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
But it doesn't even work. Trust me, someone called about our neighbors dog barking, the neighbor got one letter about six months ago about the barking and that it is fineable by the bylaws. Six months later and the dog still barks and they haven't received a single fine.

Dog bylaws are likely DFL on the priority list for bylaw cops, and deservedly so.
I know. It should work with a phone call, but just look at WhiteTiger here. He's the kind of guy answering the phone to your complaints. You're a "Karen" and "entitled" for wanting them to enforce the bylaws. It's absurd.

You have to keep the log for 30 days and be prepared to go to court. It's the only way to get action. Believe me. I've done it.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:27 AM   #72
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The problem is ACTUALLY that bylaw won't respond in a reasonable time if at all to address the bylaw that is being broken on its own merit. You need to frame it in a way that will get a response. Entitlement has nothing to do with it. You honestly have misunderstood what a Karen is and you don't seem to understand the definition of the word 'entitlement'.
Filling a false report is a crime so I admire your dedication to the hustle.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #73
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

A. It's not even funny.

I think it’s just the line between ‘one bark is illegal’ and ‘barking all day’.

Yeah, if your dog is literally barking all day, you gotta do something about it. Unfortunately that’s not easy to do if the dog has already developed that behaviour.

But if your neighbours dog barks like a dog, there’s gotta be some give and take.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #74
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
My experience calling the city is very different. There was a dog a few houses down that was left in a cage all day every day, poor thing barked and not in a way dogs bark when being protective. The dog was distressed and wanted out.

Don't know exactly what was done but the next day the dog was not in the cage. Person still owns the dog I see it being walked all the time.
lol, this is exactly my point.

Dog barking all day is bothering you? You're a Karen and Entitled.

Dog barking all day and you're worried about the dog? We're on our way!
Old 03-02-2021, 10:28 AM   #75
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Bro call 911

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #76
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post

That is just bad ownership.

It sucks leaving your dog caged all day. You only do it a few times to crate train them.

We crate trained our puppy and then now I just take him to work with me everyday or my wife is working from home.

All that training....wasted. Thanks COVID...

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #77
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I think it’s just the line between ‘one bark is illegal’ and ‘barking all day’.

Yeah, if your dog is literally barking all day, you gotta do something about it. Unfortunately that’s not easy to do if the dog has already developed that behaviour.

But if your neighbours dog barks like a dog, there’s gotta be some give and take.
Yes, totally fair. I wouldn't call on one bark...my point was just that barking is illegal. A bark here and there before 10pm and after 8am is totally a normal neigbourhood sound and not something that would bother me one bit.
Old 03-02-2021, 10:29 AM   #78
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Neighbour kids screaming bloody murder, leaving their toys and #### all over the sidewalk and Boulevard? Okay.
Neighbour dog barks? Oh fuuucccckkkkk no.
There was an interesting show on dogs and wolves on CBC Radio yesterday. Apparently, humans have the same psychological response to the sound of dogs barking as they do to the sounds of babies crying.

At least with babies, you know they will eventually grow out of it. We are surrounded on all sides by neighbors with small, barky dogs. They bark at me when I go in my back yard. They bark at each other. They bark even more when my neighbor starts yelling at his dog to shut up. That's usually the breaking point for me, I just give up and go back inside.

Last edited by Nancy; 03-02-2021 at 10:34 AM.
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nancy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:31 AM   #79
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Filling a false report is a crime so I admire your dedication to the hustle.
Am I taking crazy pills here or something?

Read. My. Fataing. Posts.

There's no false report. It's illegal for dogs to bark. The complaint is dogs are barking. Nothing false there.

Dogs barking annoys me. I'll leave that out.

If a dog barks all day, there could be something wrong. I'll leave that in.

It's all true.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2021, 10:33 AM   #80
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
We know.
It's not supposed to be!

Should I just go around to everyone writing a serious post and say, 'that's not funny; give up the schtick?'

This is so dumb.