Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What will happen to Brad Treliving after the end of the season?
He should and will be fired 167 17.06%
He should be fired, but will continue as the Flames GM 277 28.29%
He should not and will not be fired 288 29.42%
He should not but will be fired 27 2.76%
Unsure if he should be, but he will be fired 37 3.78%
Unsure if he should be, but he will not be fired 183 18.69%
Voters: 979. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-26-2021, 07:37 PM   #581
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
Burke had THE say in 2014. Fires Feaster then has amateur scout meeting where he sets attributes big, leaders, character

Go back to post draft interviews with Button on 2014 or any others. He literally says the attributes: Swedish Mattson "big, leader", Hunter Smith. This was all Burke

Feaster was about hockey sense. On Kanzig "we like his brain"

2015, 2016 taking Mangiapane etc "skill" whatever Treliving emphasized
Feaster’s hockey sense had him trade down past Wilson, Hertl, Teravainen, Ceci and Vasielvsky to get Jankowski.

I understand Feaster left drafting after the first round to his scouting staff. He certainly wasn’t the driving force behind Gaudreau.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:12 PM   #582
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

I've been thinking about this for a couple days now, and I'm ready to hand the entire team over to Conroy and just see what happens. I mean, it can't get much worse than it is now, and the thought of Connie putting his stamp on things is pretty exciting.

I, for one, would very much welcome our new speed-talking overlord.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 08:18 PM   #583
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who will be the GM starting this offseason is the single biggest decision facing this club. I simply have no reason to believe Conroy is ready.

He has served under Feaster, Burke and Treliving. I’m interested in a new approach and someone who has learned in a more successful organization.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:45 PM   #584
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
I've been thinking about this for a couple days now, and I'm ready to hand the entire team over to Conroy and just see what happens. I mean, it can't get much worse than it is now, and the thought of Connie putting his stamp on things is pretty exciting.

I, for one, would very much welcome our new speed-talking overlord.
But why?
He's one of the long tenured members of this management team. If you don't like where the team is - how can you overlook that Conroy had a role in that.

Moreover, why are we constantly complaining about having unproven coaches yet we are willing to head the keys to the entire franchise to an unproven GM?

Sorry just don't get it.
What has Conroy shown that makes you think he will be a better GM than BT?
Jiri Hrdina is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:55 PM   #585
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Drafting has been fine for the Flames. Only real set back was the Hamonic trade. We really didn't much value out of that trade. Who knows how that draft would've shaken down if we didn't make that deal but we could have gotten some solid depth in the organization.

Ah well. Here we are on the cusp of utter anarchy as Flames fans. But drafting is certainly not the problem. In fact, the problem is they haven't drafted enough. Looking for answers elsewhere instead of from within.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 08:56 PM   #586
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
But why?
He's one of the long tenured members of this management team. If you don't like where the team is - how can you overlook that Conroy had a role in that.

Moreover, why are we constantly complaining about having unproven coaches yet we are willing to head the keys to the entire franchise to an unproven GM?

Sorry just don't get it.
Conroy would be your MacTavish
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:15 PM   #587
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Throw out the entire lot. New blood, objective decision making, with no emotional connections to deter this.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:56 PM   #588
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
But why?

Sorry just don't get it.
Honestly at this point, I just feel like he wouldn't have any concerns with just going in and shaking it all up. I feel like he'd have a better handle on what kind of coach these guys need, and I think he'd also understand better that you shouldn't force players to go against their strengths just to match the kind of coach you want.

Essentially Conroy doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would build a skilled roster and then give them a dump and chase coach. Or a roster of grinders and give them a possession and transition coach.

That's the thing that peeves me the most right now. It's also what drives me bonkers when people suggest bringing back Sutter. We need someone that can coach the kind of systems that play to this roster's strengths.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, there's also a bit of "watch the world burn" in it for me too. Like even just watching him blow it all up would at least be more fun than watching Ward Hockey.

Last edited by FanIn80; 02-26-2021 at 10:00 PM.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 09:56 PM   #589
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Drafting has been fine for the Flames. Only real set back was the Hamonic trade. We really didn't much value out of that trade. Who knows how that draft would've shaken down if we didn't make that deal but we could have gotten some solid depth in the organization.

Ah well. Here we are on the cusp of utter anarchy as Flames fans. But drafting is certainly not the problem. In fact, the problem is they haven't drafted enough. Looking for answers elsewhere instead of from within.
Also the Hamilton trade, even though Lindholm is my favorite player, and all the picks spent on depth players. This team should have been on the back half of a full rebuild, instead they cut it short and started trading away multiple 1st and 2nd round picks for veterans to "win now". People talk about blowing it up and rebuilding now, what a shame, all of the dirty work was done last time but they didn't have the patience to see it through. Why would it be different this time?
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:12 PM   #590
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
But why?

Sorry just don't get it.
That's a fair point. If you get rid of Tre, you have to get rid of the whole management staff. I think more so that people are thinking Conroy (or one of the other AGMs) gets an interim tag till you find a replacement.

I still don't know why we parted ways with Burke. It was very sudden if I remember correctly, which is odd. They had seemed very vested in the President of Hockey Ops/GM model.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 10:33 PM   #591
CroCop
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

One thing BT has seemed to by real good at is second place on a number of big trades for a forward. Mark Stone, Zucker, Hall, Kadri and now supposedly Josh Anderson and PLD. The big problem aside from missing out would be how many guys are sitting in the Flames room knowing or thinking they were traded/offered and still there. I know their pros but I wonder if this could be a problem with their desire to still be here.
CroCop is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroCop For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:44 PM   #592
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
One thing BT has seemed to by real good at is second place on a number of big trades for a forward. Mark Stone, Zucker, Hall, Kadri and now supposedly Josh Anderson and PLD. The big problem aside from missing out would be how many guys are sitting in the Flames room knowing or thinking they were traded/offered and still there. I know their pros but I wonder if this could be a problem with their desire to still be here.

They weren't second place on Kadri. The deal was done - he refused to waive his NTC
They weren't second place on Zucker. The deal was done and something broke down on either the Wild or Flames' side.

We have no idea if they were second place on Anderson or PLD. Just that they were in the mix. Frankly the Flames didn't have anything similar to what the Jets gave up unless it involved Tkachuk.

So of that long list - the only accurate ones are perhaps Hall and Stone.

Perhaps you are right that it has impacted the guys involved though.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:45 PM   #593
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Honestly at this point, I just feel like he wouldn't have any concerns with just going in and shaking it all up. I feel like he'd have a better handle on what kind of coach these guys need, and I think he'd also understand better that you shouldn't force players to go against their strengths just to match the kind of coach you want.

Essentially Conroy doesn't strike me as the kind of guy that would build a skilled roster and then give them a dump and chase coach. Or a roster of grinders and give them a possession and transition coach.

That's the thing that peeves me the most right now. It's also what drives me bonkers when people suggest bringing back Sutter. We need someone that can coach the kind of systems that play to this roster's strengths.

Edit: Don't get me wrong, there's also a bit of "watch the world burn" in it for me too. Like even just watching him blow it all up would at least be more fun than watching Ward Hockey.
Except when quality assets are sent out for poor return as a rookie GM learns on the job and gets taken to school by his colleagues.
We've done that before. Not a re-run I care to watch again.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jiri Hrdina For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 10:57 PM   #594
Hackey
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

No thanks to Conroy. Beyond being a complete rookie to the position I think he is way too much of a company guy. He's just going to toe the line. This organization needs someone willing to make the hard decisions and to me Conroy wouldn't be that guy. Hextall would have been a nice hire.

Not sure who is really out there for GM though. Hextall is gone. Dean Lombardi? Think I'd prefer Treliving.
Hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:07 PM   #595
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackey View Post
No thanks to Conroy. Beyond being a complete rookie to the position I think he is way too much of a company guy. He's just going to toe the line. This organization needs someone willing to make the hard decisions and to me Conroy wouldn't be that guy. Hextall would have been a nice hire.

Not sure who is really out there for GM though. Hextall is gone. Dean Lombardi? Think I'd prefer Treliving.
Lombardi started from scratch in SJ and built a good to contending team. Went to LA and built a 2 time SC champion. Mentored Hextall in LA, as well.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 11:08 PM   #596
CroCop
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
They weren't second place on Kadri. The deal was done - he refused to waive his NTC
They weren't second place on Zucker. The deal was done and something broke down on either the Wild or Flames' side.

We have no idea if they were second place on Anderson or PLD. Just that they were in the mix. Frankly the Flames didn't have anything similar to what the Jets gave up unless it involved Tkachuk.

So of that long list - the only accurate ones are perhaps Hall and Stone.

Perhaps you are right that it has impacted the guys involved though.
With respect. The fact that deals were done with Kadri and Zucker and they both ended up elsewhere would absolutely make the Flames second place in regards to those players.
CroCop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:11 PM   #597
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I’d welcome Lombardi over Tre any day. Tre sux.
Azhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2021, 11:49 PM   #598
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Kings fans had nothing but good things to say about Lombardi when he left there iirc. I wouldn't mind him.
JurassicTunga12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 04:46 AM   #599
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroCop View Post
I do wonder about those players mentality knowing they were traded or offered in a trade that didn't go through. We're not exactly talking about the mentally toughest players around.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 05:23 AM   #600
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
I do wonder about those players mentality knowing they were traded or offered in a trade that didn't go through. We're not exactly talking about the mentally toughest players around.
Most of those issues took place quite a while ago though. Initially I would agree that it probably had an impact. How could it not. But over time that would go away.

Players go through this every season. Pro sports would not be a good place for the faint of heart.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote