Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2021, 07:41 AM   #1701
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gaetz is the type of guy to go down flailing, and I really hope he latches on to a few others and takes them down with him.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:45 AM   #1702
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Gaetz is the type of guy to go down flailing, and I really hope he latches on to a few others and takes them down with him.
After watching Trump slip out of every little and large "gotcha" sandal, and the GOP still excitedly supporting him, and then hearing about Marjorie Taylor Greene getting an standing applause from the GOP...

It feels like it is a forgone conclusion that since Gaetz is part of the GOP he will just be fine. And I get Trump was president and MTG didn't do anything illegal, different ball games compared to Gaetz.

Hopefully I am wrong and just overly cynical after the last 4 years.

God I hope you're right.

Last edited by Mull; 04-09-2021 at 07:47 AM.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:57 AM   #1703
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe not Trump, but there are so many slime balls in that party that have probably done worse than Gaetz, that he probably knows their secrets. Those guys like to brag about conquests.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:18 AM   #1704
bob-loblaw
First Line Centre

Exp:

It will be survival of the fittest, if there is such a thing as a 'fit' GOP'r. Maybe Gym Jordan. When the GOP et al determines that he's a lost cause they'll all forget who he was. He's a minor figure compared to any Trump.
bob-loblaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 08:28 AM   #1705
Izzle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Two things:

1. Lol at "The women of Matt Gaetz's office", yet no one puts their name on it

2. This was almost certainly written by a man, likely Gaetz himself

https://twitter.com/user/status/1380220265716649987
Could add this to r/menwritingwomen subreddit
Izzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:08 AM   #1706
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
It feels like it is a forgone conclusion that since Gaetz is part of the GOP he will just be fine. And I get Trump was president and MTG didn't do anything illegal, different ball games compared to Gaetz.

Hopefully I am wrong and just overly cynical after the last 4 years....
Gaetz is going down. No way he escapes this.

Haha, autocorrected Gaetz to Gretzky. I’m glad I proofread.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #1707
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meanwhile, don't say mean things or be critical of AOC on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1380284997785948162

https://twitter.com/user/status/1380284999807590400

https://twitter.com/user/status/1380285001334321153

https://twitter.com/user/status/1380285002357776385
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nyah For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 11:31 AM   #1708
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

But isn't that exactly how the system is supposed to work? The cops came to investigate and then everyone realized there was nothing malicious going on and everyone moves on with their life.

Yet we still have stuff like this going on: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-for-a-suspect

Black man gets manhandled by police and arrested for taking out his trash while black. Don't see any outrage from ya on that one, eh?
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 11:39 AM   #1709
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
But isn't that exactly how the system is supposed to work? The cops came to investigate and then everyone realized there was nothing malicious going on and everyone moves on with their life.
Well, no, presumably they have the complaint in front of them, which should provide details of what the alleged harassment was. If it's that tweet, and not something else that the person in question is hiding that is more serious / concerning, then no visit to his house was necessary on the face of the complaint.

This is Los Angeles - the Police don't even have the bandwidth to investigate most property crimes. Yet because the purported "victim" was in a position of authority, they took the time out of their day to look into a "threat" that appears to have been nothing. That is absolutely not how the system is supposed to work - that is the wielding of political influence to obtain uneven protection by the legal system. And while I think saying "I felt scared, intimidated, and violated" is totally over the top based on having Police officers ask you some questions, there is an undeniable intimidation aspect that is always at play in police interactions - most people would be nervous in a situation like that regardless of whether they've done anything wrong.

So yeah, not a good look, and something that should be looked into as to how and why it happened - although as noted, if he's full of crap and the tweet wasn't the cause, and there was an actual credible threat, no need to look any further.
Quote:
Yet we still have stuff like this going on: https://www.latimes.com/california/s...-for-a-suspect

Black man gets manhandled by police and arrested for taking out his trash while black. Don't see any outrage from ya on that one, eh?
This is the sort of thing that makes this forum so, so much worse. The fact that you can find a totally unrelated story that he didn't post about, and use it to imply that he's racist because he wasn't outraged about this other time something happened to a black person, is despicable. I've said it before, but this sort of thing should be bannable.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 11:45 AM   #1710
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

If you think this person is being honest, of course.

This person wrote a twitter post on April 7 saying AOC's response was "underwhelming," the Capitol Police flagged it, began investigating it, found their name and address, forwarded it to State Police, and State Police were at their door the next afternoon.

Just using basic logic, does this sound believable to anyone?
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 11:55 AM   #1711
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Just using basic logic, does this sound believable to anyone?
Initially I didn't believe it either, but it's been confirmed that they did in fact show up to someone's private residence at the direction of capitol police:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1380518330902183939
Old 04-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #1712
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Old 04-09-2021, 12:03 PM   #1713
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Initially I didn't believe it either, but it's been confirmed that they did in fact show up to someone's private residence at the direction of capitol police:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1380518330902183939
I'm aware the police visit was confirmed, but the idea that it was *that* tweet is ridiculous, given the timeframe.

Haven't seen anything confirming direction by the Capitol Police yet, and an AOC spokesperson denied their involvement. So, as this tweet says, it remains to be seen who sent them and why.

EDIT: Like, looking back through their posts, this is the same person who said the US government was a "killing machine we need to kill." I have trouble believing "underwhelming" was what got them in trouble.

EDIT 2: They also said "Death to America" is the only acceptable, moderate position. LOL

Last edited by PepsiFree; 04-09-2021 at 12:11 PM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 12:09 PM   #1714
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not convinced that Ryan Grim is right about the Police's willingness to out her. I guess someone might leak it, maybe, but generally speaking I wouldn't expect them to disclose the source of a complaint. Regardless, "look into it" doesn't mean "only look into it if it was actually AOC or her staffers who personally caused this to happen"; if it was just some overzealous police person somewhere, that's worth finding out and dealing with as well.

The thing I don't necessarily believe is that the tweet he suggested was the only thing that could have led to the police visit actually was what led to the police visit... the timeframe isn't that implausible to me, but I'm just too used to people crying foul and then having someone point out, "actually, it had nothing to do with that tweet, it was the weekly letters you kept sending her office about getting what's coming to her".

But who knows. She has some pretty ardent supporters. Maybe one of them wanted to rid her of a meddlesome priest.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 04-09-2021, 12:21 PM   #1715
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I'm not convinced that Ryan Grim is right about the Police's willingness to out her. I guess someone might leak it, maybe, but generally speaking I wouldn't expect them to disclose the source of a complaint. Regardless, "look into it" doesn't mean "only look into it if it was actually AOC or her staffers who personally caused this to happen"; if it was just some overzealous police person somewhere, that's worth finding out and dealing with as well.

The thing I don't necessarily believe is that the tweet he suggested was the only thing that could have led to the police visit actually was what led to the police visit... the timeframe isn't that implausible to me, but I'm just too used to people crying foul and then having someone point out, "actually, it had nothing to do with that tweet, it was the weekly letters you kept sending her office about getting what's coming to her".

But who knows. She has some pretty ardent supporters. Maybe one of them wanted to rid her of a meddlesome priest.
I think the timeframe is short given the severity of the tweet being referenced. That's a faster turnaround time than some actual threats receive.

And, having had to bail on their timeline around November 2020, the calls for "death to America" and similar messages became kind of overwhelming. It wouldn't surprise me if "underwhelming" was the absolute nicest thing they've said about AOC.
Old 04-09-2021, 01:21 PM   #1716
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's really too bad that conservatives have cried wolf so many times about the media and tech companies, because there are legitimate conversations to be had about how much power they wield.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1380598232569495553
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:30 PM   #1717
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
It's really too bad that conservatives have cried wolf so many times about the media and tech companies
The mental gymnastics required to blame "conservatives" for this are truly impressive... Do you think it's possible that perhaps they weren't crying wolf and had an actual point, and that you chose to trivialize what were at their core legitimate grievances because the only people getting hurt at the time happened to be people you don't like?
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 02:20 PM   #1718
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The mental gymnastics required to blame "conservatives" for this are truly impressive... Do you think it's possible that perhaps they weren't crying wolf and had an actual point, and that you chose to trivialize what were at their core legitimate grievances because the only people getting hurt at the time happened to be people you don't like?
Not really blaming conservatives per se. I think it's akin to the identity politics stuff. Yes, there are legitimate conversations to be had about race, etc., but prioritizing the more trivial aspects of the conversation tends to damage the conversation as a whole.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 02:40 PM   #1719
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyah View Post
Meanwhile, don't say mean things or be critical of AOC on Twitter.
So you took this Twitter account at their word because... You don't like AOC?
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #1720
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I think the timeframe is short given the severity of the tweet being referenced. That's a faster turnaround time than some actual threats receive.

And, having had to bail on their timeline around November 2020, the calls for "death to America" and similar messages became kind of overwhelming. It wouldn't surprise me if "underwhelming" was the absolute nicest thing they've said about AOC.
That Twitter account and its followers are all sorts of nuts, wow, I would assume something was deleted.

But she also got into a fight with a GOP candidate defending AOC (that was all sorts of weird). But she also interacts with a lot of extreme right and left people. This Twitter account seems to have merged the horseshoe of the political spectrum into the circle of the political spectrum.

My guess, the Capitol Hill Police are on high alert for crazy accounts that they have flagged, the account tweeted something else, then deleted it after the police showed up.

I'm still confused as to how some of these people can think that Trump won, and Burnie is their savour? what a strange world.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote