Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-10-2021, 12:06 PM   #61
Flame On
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am relieved that he recognizes that he has a blazing fire of a team on his hands. And at the same time appreciate that he isn't going to knee jerk about it.
I was concerned that he didn't agree he's put a hot mess together but at the very least I'm glad he sees that.
Insulted Other Member(s)
Don't insult other members; even if they are Canuck fans.
Flame On is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:09 PM   #62
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
Treliving is in the process of creating a crap team.
Well there is really no other way to land a Matthews, McDavid, or Scheifele. And to me thats the reason we are so far behind those teams currently.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 12:11 PM   #63
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8sPOT View Post
Well there is really no other way to land a Matthews, McDavid, or Scheifele. And to me thats the reason we are so far behind those teams currently.
Scheifele was not a top 5
pick
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #64
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
pick
Yup he was. 7th overall. At any rate, he's a #1 center in the NHL. Which we sorely lack, and thus cannot compete within our division.

My point is you really only get those players by drafting them.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 8sPOT For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 12:23 PM   #65
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
pick
Winnipeg has done a pretty good job as a small market Canadian team. They’ve also maintained success while also being very aggressive during peak seasons, dealing away 1st round picks in multiple seasons.

They even managed to improve upon their 2nd overall pick requesting a trade by acquiring the centre that was taken 3rd overall in that year’s draft.

They also got a very good pick in a very deep draft year (Perfetti) just this past year which should help them continue to build.

Being managed to the level of the Jets would be a huge improvement for this organization. That said, prior to acquiring Dubois - I don’t think they were built for success, but acquiring Dubois was huge for them. Talk about making the best of a bad situation.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-10-2021 at 12:26 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:30 PM   #66
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Winnipeg has done a pretty good job as a small market Canadian team. They’ve also maintained success while also being very aggressive during peak seasons, dealing away 1st round picks in multiple seasons.

They even managed to improve upon their 2nd overall pick requesting a trade by acquiring the centre that was taken 3rd overall in that year’s draft.

They also got a very good pick in a very deep draft year (Perfetti).

Being managed to the level of the Jets would be a huge improvement for this organization. That said, prior to acquiring Dubois - I don’t think they were built for success, but acquiring Dubois was huge for them. Talk about making the best of a bad situation.

In a decade this team has made the playoffs 3 times and was swept in one of those years. Actually far worse than how the Flames were managed considering Chevy inherited a team that had picked in the top 10 several years before they moved and had pieces like Wheeler, Ladd, Buff on the team. They did literally nothing until recently giving up picks for playoff runs which included Hayes who was never going to stay there.

Getting to the conference finals is better than what the Flames have accomplished but this team was trending toward missing their window but I do think the Dubois trade is a game changer for them which has pushed their window open again.

Had the Flames had this type of management fans would have soured on Treliving a lot sooner than year 7
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 12:35 PM   #67
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
In a decade this team has made the playoffs 3 times and was swept in one of those years. Actually far worse than how the Flames were managed considering Chevy inherited a team that had picked in the top 10 several years before they moved and had pieces like Wheeler, Ladd, Buff on the team. They did literally nothing until recently giving up picks for playoff runs which included Hayes who was never going to stay there.

Getting to the conference finals is better than what the Flames have accomplished but this team was trending toward missing their window but I do think the Dubois trade is a game changer for them which has pushed their window open again.

Had the Flames had this type of management fans would have soured on Treliving a lot sooner than year 7
In that decade, they still have more success than us though and we can’t really overlook that. My argument isn’t that the Jets are one of the best managed teams in the league, but rather better managed than the Flames which isn’t saying all that much.

Yeah, that Dubois trade was huge for them.

Last edited by ComixZone; 04-10-2021 at 12:48 PM.
Old 04-10-2021, 12:41 PM   #68
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Okay, so what is the point of the interview?
That’s why reading or listening to these interviews is a waste of time.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 12:44 PM   #69
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
Treliving is in the process of creating a crap team.
Process has been completed successfully, no?
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:16 PM   #70
VilleN
First Line Centre

Exp:

Everyone who keeps saying Treliving always trying to be the smartest man in the room stuff, and then pointing to that interview as evidence, can you please explain with examples what the hell it is you're talking about?
VilleN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VilleN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 03:17 PM   #71
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They also got a very good pick in a very deep draft year (Perfetti) just this past year which should help them continue to build.

You have to do things to grow teams; I think the Flames are not sure what they are trying to grow which is a small part of the problem. When I look at the Flames against some of the better teams, I would say we need elite players and some very good up and coming players to compete. So the question is how do we get those players? We either suck bad and draft them, or we be shrewd and trade good players for good players that fill a need.

Since our good players who might garner a return are declining, and our fill ins are not bridging the game we are falling behind. The players we have are not good enough, the players in the pipes are not good enough and are not NHL ready.

Maybe the asking price for Monahan and Johnny didn't make sense last season, but what if they don't make sense this next off season. May have to unload them as a pair in order to get a good return in a player that moves the needle?
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:18 PM   #72
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Don't forget the Jets lucked into the 2nd overall for Laine. They weren't that bad a team, they just won the lottery.
Old 04-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #73
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 868904 View Post
Don't forget the Jets lucked into the 2nd overall for Laine. They weren't that bad a team, they just won the lottery.
Which is then the asset they turned into Dubois.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:33 PM   #74
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Give us four 1st overalls in 6 years then we'll see where the team is at.

Or is that a gross hoarding of top assets for one team that the league would frown upon?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:36 PM   #75
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Or is that a gross hoarding of top assets for one team that the league would frown upon?
That happened due to utter incompetence. It’s a really impressively pathetic feat.

If you’re drafting 1st overall in 4 of 6 years, you have no plan and are a giant turd of an organization.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:11 PM   #76
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrebmi View Post
We were not destroyed. We were routed games 5 and 3. Arguably we routed them game 1. The other two games were decided in overtime.

Calgary did not rout them in the first game, notwithstanding the score. The Flames were outplayed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:28 PM   #77
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

It's not even allowed anymore. The Oilers are the last team that will have benefited from that.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:32 PM   #78
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Calgary did not rout them in the first game, notwithstanding the score. The Flames were outplayed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
In Game #1? No chance. It was pretty evenly played through the first half, but then from about the mid-point the Flames outshot Colorado 20-12, and scored three goals.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 05:38 PM   #79
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
Which is then the asset they turned into Dubois.
Well they turned Laine and Roslovic into Dubois

Roslovic is nearly PPG with CBJ and a 1st round pick himself. Laine isn't in the right situation but I bet he scores 40-50 again.

I am going to wait for the playoffs before crowning any of the Leafs, Jets, Oilers, they are lucky this season because somebody by default will get to the second round but its not like there has been any playoff success with these teams. Calgary made it further than all three last year in a season nobody around here was too thrilled about.
Old 04-10-2021, 07:03 PM   #80
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That happened due to utter incompetence. It’s a really impressively pathetic feat.

If you’re drafting 1st overall in 4 of 6 years, you have no plan and are a giant turd of an organization.
Pittsburgh went 1,2,1,2 in 4 years. Fleury, Malkin, Sid, Staal.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote