Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2021, 11:51 PM   #221
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Colorado just today made their first trade in over a year...but I guess if it ain't broke
Old 04-10-2021, 01:07 AM   #222
tfi racing
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Ain't nothin gonna happen. Not much has happened for quite awhile and that will not change this trade deadline either, the Flames do not have anybody that any other team needs right now to make a real difference in their playoff aspirations.
tfi racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 02:52 AM   #223
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like since we are expecting nothing, something a bit shocking will happen-nothing huge, like a Johnny or Mony, but something mid-range that's unexpected.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 03:36 AM   #224
LiquidX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Sutter, when he came in, said all the right things about working with Bennett and all. He's given him lots of opportunity to show himself. Yet, Bennett has mostly gone back to 3rd and most recently down to 4th line. Sutter's not stupid. You can only do so much and the rest is up to the guy to come out of that mold. Yet, the mold that Bennett is in is what we've been seeing from his second year onward. We all love to see Bennett with his incredible 4-goal night in his rookie year, but that ain't gonna happen again.
To be fair - he does seem to be playing better recently and has even put together a 3 game point streak ... while a small sample, it is at least a lean in the right direction - and more than anyone else on the team can lay claim to recently.
Old 04-10-2021, 05:11 AM   #225
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Just off the top of my head, Vegas, Tampa, Colorado (before recently), Nashville, NY Rangers, Columbus, and San Jose seem to make a lot of bigger trades.

It kind of seems like bigger markets and prime destinations in general are more likely to make big name signings and trades.
Winnipeg, before recently, hardly made any trades. NY has a long history of trading for superstar players.

It might have as much to do with the city as the GM. Columbus is often forced into big trades.
What do you consider a big trade by TB? There’s nothing here remotely comparable to Hamilton, or Hamonic. The closest is trading away JT Miller which happened 2 years ago (and then they proceed to turn the first rounder they got plus Nolan Foote into Blake Coleman).

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/...ay_Lightning/1

The Preds do a few but I wouldn’t say more, and they tend to lose. I’d rather have Fiala than Granlund.

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/...le_Predators/1

Columbus does indeed do a lot. But really, what do they have to show for it? Vegas did a lot a year ago but nothing since. NYR have been sellers (mostly small time) for 2 years and in fact before then aside from getting Trouba and Fox.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:42 AM   #226
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
There are red flags though when the GM is constantly in on players yet can never get a deal done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Only a fraction of deals GMs bat around ever get done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Yet he doesn't get traded done, he is just in on everything supposedly. So you were talking out of your butt there.
I think it is the”yet can never get a deal done” and “doesn’t get trade(s)done” that Cliff was responding to, and is the real butt talk.

It seems silly to compare numbers of trades. Teams are in different positions to warrant trades or not. It just seems to me uncontroversial that BT is willing and able to make trades.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:45 AM   #227
Moneyhands23
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Tumbleweed
Moneyhands23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 08:49 AM   #228
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Colorado just today made their first trade in over a year...but I guess if it ain't broke
I swear they just got Devon Toews in the offseason via trade a few months back
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 09:08 AM   #229
JTech780
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Since the end of last season:

Kyle Burroughs for A.J. Greer
Devon Toews for a 2, 2nds
Greg Pateryn for Ian Cole
Jonas Johansson for a 6th
JTech780 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to JTech780 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 09:23 AM   #230
The Original FFIV
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wasn’t sure if to put this in the Treliving needs to go thread or here, but since it is deadline related, thought I’d put it here.

I find Treliving to be almost dogmatic about making changes only in the summer. He has said in much in interviews that is his preference. However, given the players we are rumored to be moving on from, I don’t know if you will have all 31 teams bidding for Johnny or Mony. While it is true that cap flexibility appears to be highest in the off season, I don’t think you will have all 31 teams looking to bid on mony and/or Johnny. And I do believe that teams interested in Mony specifically are not contenders, probably due to their lack of depth at C. My concern is that a team may come to Treliving with a decent hockey deal for mony at the deadline and he will not act on it with the hopes that a better deal ‘may’ present itself in the off season. Concern being that the team making an offer at the deadline may move on to another target if they feel that Treliving is putting them off until the summer. Conversely, you may get a good offer for Gaudreau from a contender at the deadline as that will give the acquiring team two playoff runs with him instead of just one (presuming he hits ufa). The market for Gaudreau may be as limited as the one for mony as the acquiring team might not want to part with significant assets unless they feel they can extend him or get a couple of playoff runs. However, GMs can do stupid things at the deadline to put their team over the top (a guy like verge on stands out) and we might get a really good offer out of left field.

This could all be for naught as maybe the market is as tight as the pundits are saying and no offers are forthcoming. I do hope that if we do get a good offer for one of our core pieces, Treliving takes it instead of putting any deal aside for the off season, when it may not be available. The old one bird in hand is worth more than two in the bush analogy.
The Original FFIV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Original FFIV For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 10:21 AM   #231
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just hope the Flames are able to make some swaps for picks and maybe make a surprise smaller hockey deal. Ultimately I will be disappointed if Ryan is still on the team as a I think a 6th or 7th should be enough if that is all that is offered. If Rittich is 100% not interested in being a backup here I would sell him for whatever he gets as well.

Bennett I am hoping they could make a hockey deal (Bennett+Oilers 3rd for Nolan Patrick type deal)

Based on who I think is part of the long term solution here is my expansion list

Forwards:
Tkachuk
Lindholm
Mangiapane
Dube

Defense:
Andersson
Hanifin

Goalie
Markstrom

That leaves 3 forward and a Dman spot open. If the Flames cannot trade Monahan or Gaudreau before expansion then they will eat up 2 protection spots still leaving 1 forward spot open. I would be okay with the Flames selling high on Tanev this deadline but if they do not then I assume he is the third protected player.

Is there a team with too many forwards to protect where the Flames could do a 2 for 1 deal where Gaudreau goes the other way and the Flames get 2 guys they can protect and the other team gets likely an upgrade and doesn’t lose a good forward for nothing?
Old 04-10-2021, 03:24 PM   #232
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I just hope the Flames are able to make some swaps for picks and maybe make a surprise smaller hockey deal. Ultimately I will be disappointed if Ryan is still on the team as a I think a 6th or 7th should be enough if that is all that is offered. If Rittich is 100% not interested in being a backup here I would sell him for whatever he gets as well.

Bennett I am hoping they could make a hockey deal (Bennett+Oilers 3rd for Nolan Patrick type deal)

Based on who I think is part of the long term solution here is my expansion list

Forwards:
Tkachuk
Lindholm
Mangiapane
Dube

Defense:
Andersson
Hanifin

Goalie
Markstrom

That leaves 3 forward and a Dman spot open. If the Flames cannot trade Monahan or Gaudreau before expansion then they will eat up 2 protection spots still leaving 1 forward spot open. I would be okay with the Flames selling high on Tanev this deadline but if they do not then I assume he is the third protected player.

Is there a team with too many forwards to protect where the Flames could do a 2 for 1 deal where Gaudreau goes the other way and the Flames get 2 guys they can protect and the other team gets likely an upgrade and doesn’t lose a good forward for nothing?
Edit: I see now it’s your expansion list.. wow that is a lot of big changes in short order.

Call me crazy but I would keep Gaudreau if we could re-sign him.

Last edited by SeanCharles; 04-10-2021 at 03:44 PM.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:57 AM   #233
LiquidX
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
Call me crazy but I would keep Gaudreau if we could re-sign him.
Too small, one dimensional, and easy to contain. As games get tighter, he wilts / shies away from the play. We've seen it several years in a row. We want him to be Datsyuk.. but based on his track record, that's a long road, and I don't think he can get there. He doesn't really have another aspect to his game other than his dangles/vision - and I think there are still many questions around his commitment level (diet/etc).

I think you hold on to him and hope he plays well, increases his value and move him at a high point (ie: not this summer most likely).
Old 04-11-2021, 03:40 AM   #234
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidX View Post
Too small, one dimensional, and easy to contain. As games get tighter, he wilts / shies away from the play. We've seen it several years in a row. We want him to be Datsyuk.. but based on his track record, that's a long road, and I don't think he can get there. He doesn't really have another aspect to his game other than his dangles/vision - and I think there are still many questions around his commitment level (diet/etc).

I think you hold on to him and hope he plays well, increases his value and move him at a high point (ie: not this summer most likely).
He is easily the most skilled Flames
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:40 PM   #235
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weaker teams are adding picks. Stronger teams are adding players. We are doing zilch. Just blows my mind...
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainYooh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 02:42 PM   #236
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Weaker teams are adding picks. Stronger teams are adding players. We are doing zilch. Just blows my mind...
Haven't you heard? There is a pandemic and that is why the Flames can't make any trades. It's just too complicated.
keenan87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:43 PM   #237
Nelson
First Line Centre

Exp:

If Nick Foligno could actually return a 1st, I think it’s time to trade Gio.
Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:46 PM   #238
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
I could have sworn the deadline was tomorrow?
Old 04-11-2021, 02:48 PM   #239
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamesfan05 View Post
He is easily the most skilled Flames
So was Kent Nilsson.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 02:49 PM   #240
chedder