Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #1721
dobbles
addition by subtraction
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, no, presumably they have the complaint in front of them, which should provide details of what the alleged harassment was. If it's that tweet, and not something else that the person in question is hiding that is more serious / concerning, then no visit to his house was necessary on the face of the complaint.

This is Los Angeles - the Police don't even have the bandwidth to investigate most property crimes. Yet because the purported "victim" was in a position of authority, they took the time out of their day to look into a "threat" that appears to have been nothing. That is absolutely not how the system is supposed to work - that is the wielding of political influence to obtain uneven protection by the legal system. And while I think saying "I felt scared, intimidated, and violated" is totally over the top based on having Police officers ask you some questions, there is an undeniable intimidation aspect that is always at play in police interactions - most people would be nervous in a situation like that regardless of whether they've done anything wrong.

So yeah, not a good look, and something that should be looked into as to how and why it happened - although as noted, if he's full of crap and the tweet wasn't the cause, and there was an actual credible threat, no need to look any further.

This is the sort of thing that makes this forum so, so much worse. The fact that you can find a totally unrelated story that he didn't post about, and use it to imply that he's racist because he wasn't outraged about this other time something happened to a black person, is despicable. I've said it before, but this sort of thing should be bannable.
Sorry you feel that way. The post was about police overreach, so I posted what I feel is a real example of police overreach. I had read about it yesterday so it was top of mind. Also, I didn't say or imply he was a racist.

Regarding the AOC incident, if the Capitol Police had asked the local office to follow up on something, I could see it as pretty in scope and expected that they would just go check on the guy without reviewing the file. Heck, as you point out, they don't have time for things like this, so maybe they didn't want to waste any more time than they had to and just did the CP a solid and talked to the guy.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #1722
Nyah
First Line Centre
 
Nyah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: The Kilt & Caber
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
So you took this Twitter account at their word because... You don't like AOC?
I don't have anything against AOC and I only posted about it once it was confirmed to have happened. Her camp has already come out to say that they weren't involved in this incident and I don't think there's any reason to not believe that.

The issue is social media policing by an actual police force for a non-violent tweet. That should be disturbing for everyone, regardless of political beliefs. This has less to do with AOC and more to do with overreach. Police should absolutely not be allowed to show up at peoples houses to investigate social media posts that aren't hateful or violent. Also if the authenticity is the issue, Twitter would be able to clear that up pretty quickly if there was actually a threatening tweet that was deleted, right?

I truly don't understand your snarky comment. If anything, Police overreach is the kind of thing AOC and her ilk are rightfully fighting against.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:32 PM   #1723
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player
 
CorsiHockeyLeague's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Sorry you feel that way. The post was about police overreach, so I posted what I feel is a real example of police overreach. I had read about it yesterday so it was top of mind. Also, I didn't say or imply he was a racist.
Re-read your own post. You're actually going to try to, with a straight face, claim that your statement to the effect of "Gee, I notice you weren't outraged when it was a black person getting hassled" wasn't an implication that the race of the victim played into his reaction to the incident? To say that strains credulity is putting it a bit mildly.
Quote:
Regarding the AOC incident, if the Capitol Police had asked the local office to follow up on something, I could see it as pretty in scope and expected that they would just go check on the guy without reviewing the file.
Yeah, no. That's just ridiculous. Not even looking into what the complaint is before going to someone's house is "expected"? I don't think you're looking at this at all rationally... motivated reasoning is a hell of a drug.
__________________
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #1724
dobbles
addition by subtraction
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Exp:
Default

I disagree. My post was meant to point out there are actual real problems in American policing, and whining about some AOC crap is just clouding the real issue. And yet conservatives have no problem crying foul over something extremely minor while looking the other way on real problems. I don't assume the double standard is race, but many times the shoe fits with the people in red 'murica.

What exactly is my irrational motivation here? I don't particularly care for AOC, and in general am critical of police overreach. I just find the whole thing stupid.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:48 PM.

Calgary Flames
2019-20




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2021