Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-09-2021, 03:49 PM   #1721
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Well, no, presumably they have the complaint in front of them, which should provide details of what the alleged harassment was. If it's that tweet, and not something else that the person in question is hiding that is more serious / concerning, then no visit to his house was necessary on the face of the complaint.

This is Los Angeles - the Police don't even have the bandwidth to investigate most property crimes. Yet because the purported "victim" was in a position of authority, they took the time out of their day to look into a "threat" that appears to have been nothing. That is absolutely not how the system is supposed to work - that is the wielding of political influence to obtain uneven protection by the legal system. And while I think saying "I felt scared, intimidated, and violated" is totally over the top based on having Police officers ask you some questions, there is an undeniable intimidation aspect that is always at play in police interactions - most people would be nervous in a situation like that regardless of whether they've done anything wrong.

So yeah, not a good look, and something that should be looked into as to how and why it happened - although as noted, if he's full of crap and the tweet wasn't the cause, and there was an actual credible threat, no need to look any further.

This is the sort of thing that makes this forum so, so much worse. The fact that you can find a totally unrelated story that he didn't post about, and use it to imply that he's racist because he wasn't outraged about this other time something happened to a black person, is despicable. I've said it before, but this sort of thing should be bannable.
Sorry you feel that way. The post was about police overreach, so I posted what I feel is a real example of police overreach. I had read about it yesterday so it was top of mind. Also, I didn't say or imply he was a racist.

Regarding the AOC incident, if the Capitol Police had asked the local office to follow up on something, I could see it as pretty in scope and expected that they would just go check on the guy without reviewing the file. Heck, as you point out, they don't have time for things like this, so maybe they didn't want to waste any more time than they had to and just did the CP a solid and talked to the guy.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 04:52 PM   #1722
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
So you took this Twitter account at their word because... You don't like AOC?
I don't have anything against AOC and I only posted about it once it was confirmed to have happened. Her camp has already come out to say that they weren't involved in this incident and I don't think there's any reason to not believe that.

The issue is social media policing by an actual police force for a non-violent tweet. That should be disturbing for everyone, regardless of political beliefs. This has less to do with AOC and more to do with overreach. Police should absolutely not be allowed to show up at peoples houses to investigate social media posts that aren't hateful or violent. Also if the authenticity is the issue, Twitter would be able to clear that up pretty quickly if there was actually a threatening tweet that was deleted, right?

I truly don't understand your snarky comment. If anything, Police overreach is the kind of thing AOC and her ilk are rightfully fighting against.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 05:32 PM   #1723
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobbles View Post
Sorry you feel that way. The post was about police overreach, so I posted what I feel is a real example of police overreach. I had read about it yesterday so it was top of mind. Also, I didn't say or imply he was a racist.
Re-read your own post. You're actually going to try to, with a straight face, claim that your statement to the effect of "Gee, I notice you weren't outraged when it was a black person getting hassled" wasn't an implication that the race of the victim played into his reaction to the incident? To say that strains credulity is putting it a bit mildly.
Quote:
Regarding the AOC incident, if the Capitol Police had asked the local office to follow up on something, I could see it as pretty in scope and expected that they would just go check on the guy without reviewing the file.
Yeah, no. That's just ridiculous. Not even looking into what the complaint is before going to someone's house is "expected"? I don't think you're looking at this at all rationally... motivated reasoning is a hell of a drug.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2021, 12:13 PM   #1724
dobbles
addition by subtraction

Exp:

I disagree. My post was meant to point out there are actual real problems in American policing, and whining about some AOC crap is just clouding the real issue. And yet conservatives have no problem crying foul over something extremely minor while looking the other way on real problems. I don't assume the double standard is race, but many times the shoe fits with the people in red 'murica.

What exactly is my irrational motivation here? I don't particularly care for AOC, and in general am critical of police overreach. I just find the whole thing stupid.
This individual is not affluent and more of a member of that shrinking middle class. It is likely the individual does not have a high paying job, is limited on benefits, and has to make due with those benefits provided by employer.
dobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dobbles For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #1725
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

In case you're wondering how poorly it's going for Pedo Gaetz...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1381047427499712515
Old 04-11-2021, 09:06 AM   #1726
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
In case you're wondering how poorly it's going for Pedo Gaetz...

https://twitter.com/user/status/1381047427499712515
Stupid question, why does this make it look like things are going terrible for him? I am sure the poll is bias as heck but a positive poll is a positive poll? The sandal aside, if I was in politics and someone released a poll showing positive poll numbers for me, I would tweet it.
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 09:10 AM   #1727
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you have to start your post with "I swear I didn't commission this poll", and it's by a pollster no one knows, and the pollster published the poll date is April 9th 2020....yeah, not going so well.
Old 04-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #1728
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If you have to start your post with "I swear I didn't commission this poll", and it's by a pollster no one knows, and the pollster published the poll date is April 9th 2020....yeah, not going so well.
They have since updated the date to read 'April 9, 2021'. Whether it was a typo or not is beside the point when you consider the organization that did the polling.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 11:54 AM   #1729
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's also a poll of 400 registered republicans only, hardly a snapshot of the public in general, in fact if I was Gaetz what I would take away from this is 30% of my most hardcore supporters think I should resign and I'm a pedo
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:38 PM   #1730
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

CNN reporting that Trump is suggesting the vaccine be called the Trump-cine.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 04:40 PM   #1731
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
CNN reporting that Trump is suggesting the vaccine be called the Trump-cine.
They should to that.

If reducing loss of life is the goal here anything to associate the vaccine with Trump is positive.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #1732
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I always thought they should call it the Freedom Vaccine for the US. Then they could promote it as getting freedom shots, and give out freedom fries.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2021, 06:53 PM   #1733
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Old 04-13-2021, 10:20 AM   #1734
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1381421688148127744
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #1735
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Her hypocrisy aside, you're a Bernie fan, what do you think he would of done with the record number of migrants at the Border with the current infrastructure? We know some are being kept at hotels for example.

Last edited by Mull; 04-13-2021 at 10:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:35 AM   #1736
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Her hypocrisy aside, you're a Bernie fan, what do you think he would of done with the record number of migrants at the Border with the current infrastructure? We know some are being kept at hotels for example.
You really think that's a solid rebuttal?
Old 04-13-2021, 11:07 AM   #1737
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This, however, is good news.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...2e8_story.html

Quote:
President Biden will withdraw all American troops from Afghanistan over the coming months, people familiar with the plans said, completing the military exit by the 20th#anniversary of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks that first drew the United States into its longest war.
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 11:23 AM   #1738
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You really think that's a solid rebuttal?
Rebuttal? Not everything is an argument. Flame Harris / Biden all you want, I am not representing their 'team' here.

I was wondering that since you were being critical of their solution, if you had one of your own.

If you have no solution, that is ok, it is a complex problem that isn't easy to solve, and there is nothing wrong with stating that.

Last edited by Mull; 04-13-2021 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 11:34 AM   #1739
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Rebuttal? Not everything is an argument. Flame Harris / Biden all you want, I am not representing their 'team' here.

I was wondering that since you were being critical of their solution, if you had one of your own.

If you have no solution, that is ok, it is a complex problem that isn't easy to solve, and there is nothing wrong with stating that.
Not every criticism of the sitting government has to be seen as partisan. It's okay to be critical of how they've handled this based on how they campaigned on it. Kamala's campaign speeches on this issue look pretty disingenuous now. AOC has also looked pretty bad in recent weeks when she's been asked about this topic. Media outlets and Biden supporters who were so passionate about all of this when Trump was in charge have all gone strangely silent about it, too. The optics look horrible.

If Bernie had somehow won and been ineffective at implementing his big campaign promises while looking hypocritical and disingenuous the entire time, you can bet I'd have been critical of him, too.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2021, 11:42 AM   #1740
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
well probably not if you're an Afghani
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to afc wimbledon For This Useful Post: