Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

Notices

Old 04-08-2021, 01:40 PM   #6061
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
I swear this is not about me or anyone I know but I've always wondered how the "can't be 100m from a school" sex offender thing works.

So say the guy already lives near a school or playground and he's then convicted and put on the list, does he have to put his house on the market and move? Or if his job is next door to somewhere where kids congregate, does he have to quit his job? Can they go to the mall or cinema or fast food restaurant?

Similarly, when a daycare opens up, is there a security check provided by police warning of any sex offenders in the area? If there is... who is the onus on? The daycare can't open up, or the paedo has to move? Both options seem kinda ridiculous.
If they already own the home, I believe they get grandchildrened in.
Old 04-08-2021, 03:50 PM   #6062
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

When someone on CP says the exact same thing you did a page earlier but gets a pile of likes that you didn't.

Not that likes matter, but damn, am I really on that many people's ignore list?
btimbit is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2021, 10:20 PM   #6063
#-3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post
When someone on CP says the exact same thing you did a page earlier but gets a pile of likes that you didn't.

I always figured I am just a very ineloquent writer and often fail to effectively communicate what I think I am saying. Maybe there post just came out better than yours?
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2021, 10:46 PM   #6064
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by btimbit View Post

Well it's not the best year to have Rasmus as your Avatar, that's probably cost you a few likes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 10:15 AM   #6065
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

The phrase "I honestly think..." is so weird, if you think about it (honestly). I do it all the time. I honestly think this, I honestly think that. Even for uncontroversial opinions! "I honestly think the Flames could do better in this area." Yeah? What's the alternative? That you're being dishonest?

And then there's the "I think blah blah blah" and someone responds "You don't HONESTLY think blah blah blah, do you?"

It seems like a weird phrase and exchange, but it's so common.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 10:27 AM   #6066
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
The phrase "I honestly think..." is so weird, if you think about it (honestly). I do it all the time. I honestly think this, I honestly think that. Even for uncontroversial opinions! "I honestly think the Flames could do better in this area." Yeah? What's the alternative? That you're being dishonest?

And then there's the "I think blah blah blah" and someone responds "You don't HONESTLY think blah blah blah, do you?"

It seems like a weird phrase and exchange, but it's so common.
It's just a saying. Atheists don't go around saying sciencedammit.
CroFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #6067
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

People who think “sitting at computer jobs” are easy blow my mind. I spent most of my life grinding doing physical labour, and am in the process of obtaining knowledge to go back to that exact type of work. Never been more overworked and exhausted from a job in my life until my responsibility was writing reports and client emails. But, whatever makes you feel better.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 01:20 PM   #6068
krynski
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
I wonder if there is anyone who actually thinks Alberta being rat free actually means no rats in the province. maybe some city folk?
https://www.alberta.ca/albertas-rat-...-overview.aspx

Also interesting, there is some data in this article:
https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/rats-albe...y%20be%20rats.

In general I would say it's really quite "rat-free", as much as it could be. Sometimes they come in on freight shipments or scurry across the border, but the province really is mostly rat-free.

I also heard of someone I knew who illegaly had a pet rat which is now deceased, but if I heard of someone, I'm sure there are a number of other people that do.

Edit: I suppose I also have interacted with actual Lab Rats when I was in University, so there are also rats there.

Another article:
https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/597846/how-did-alberta-canada-become-rat-free.

Last edited by krynski; 04-09-2021 at 01:25 PM.
krynski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:48 PM   #6069
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

What is “strata land”? How does that even work?

https://www.realtor.ca/real-estate/2...-tofino-tofino
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:58 PM   #6070
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post

Bareland Condo, but with no building yet?

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 02:59 PM   #6071
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Common area on a condo/home owners group development?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:05 PM   #6072
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

With just briefly looking, I assume the house is yours but you pay strata fees for the marina.

We have attached/detached homes here in a strata. Pays for lawn maintenance and snow clearing. But in Tofino I'm assuming the marina slip.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 03:52 PM   #6073
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
People who think “sitting at computer jobs” are easy blow my mind. I spent most of my life grinding doing physical labour, and am in the process of obtaining knowledge to go back to that exact type of work. Never been more overworked and exhausted from a job in my life until my responsibility was writing reports and client emails. But, whatever makes you feel better.
I've been in IT since graduating SAIT 15 years ago, first job was internet tech support for Shaw and it was easily the "hardest" job I've had in that dealing with customers, being tied to a monitored phone, and dealing with shifting hours sucked ass. I'm now an Infrastructure Coordinator, which basically means I manage the entire network at my company. Lot more responsibility, but way less stress most of the time. The exception being having to move both of our datacenters to new buildings in the span of a month, that was probably the hardest I've ever worked.

In my experience the further you advance in IT the more you're paid for your knowledge and the actual work is quite easy (if you know what you're doing). But then there's that 10%-20% of the time that #### blows up or a major project is due and you have to bust your ass which makes up for all the days where things are quiet and you browse reddit all day
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:32 PM   #6074
RichieRich
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I've been in IT since graduating SAIT 15 years ago, first job was internet tech support for Shaw and it was easily the "hardest" job I've had in that dealing with customers, being tied to a monitored phone, and dealing with shifting hours sucked ass. I'm now an Infrastructure Coordinator, which basically means I manage the entire network at my company. Lot more responsibility, but way less stress most of the time. The exception being having to move both of our datacenters to new buildings in the span of a month, that was probably the hardest I've ever worked.

In my experience the further you advance in IT the more you're paid for your knowledge and the actual work is quite easy (if you know what you're doing). But then there's that 10%-20% of the time that #### blows up or a major project is due and you have to bust your ass which makes up for all the days where things are quiet and you browse reddit all day
Hard mental concentration, strategizing, chairing/running meetings (and sometimes also having to do the minutes), creating/reviewing key documents, presenting... phew.. all can be physically and mentally draining. Not sure how to be honest. I've done some pretty hard physical labor jobs (laborer, tree planter to name some) and it was a different kinds of hard (and exhausting). Don't get me wrong, physical-oriented career work is also exhausting. One of my friends did that for a couple decades before selling his company (handed down from his dad) and moving to a desk-oriented job (after some additional schooling) because of the physical toll.
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 07:57 PM   #6075
RichieRich
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Great car for your kid... or if you like stickers...

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/...3895?undefined
RichieRich is offline   Reply With Quote