Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-31-2013, 02:13 PM   #1
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
Default Building a House - Utility Box

Have a friend who is building a house in a new neighbourhood in town. They selected their lot and the house is being constructed. Believe it is currently at drywall and insulation phase.

When they recently went to check on progress they saw that a utility box had popped up on their lot.

There was no knowledge or indication of this utility box at any prior time during the purchase/build process.

The builder said there is nothing they can do as it is a developer issue and they need to take it up with them.

Anyone know if this is common? I would be annoyed as well if a utility box suddenly showed up on my lot late in the process. Any recourse besides being a squeaky wheel and seeing where it goes?
Old 07-31-2013, 02:28 PM   #2
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

No personal experience but when a friend was buying the lots, the utility box did show up on some of the lots on the drawings. Those usually had a slight discount compared to lots on either side.

Whomever they purchased the lot from is who you would need to contact, however I thought most purchased the house/lot from the builder who purchased the lots from the developer. I might be wrong though.

That would suck to buy a lot only later to have a utility box placed on it.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:47 PM   #3
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for the reply. Yeh, the lot and house were purchased from the builder. And since the utility box just showed up recently and the house is already at drywall stage, there was no discount on the lot. The box was not on any drawings. I agree, it sucks for them as it is their first home purchase.
Old 07-31-2013, 03:50 PM   #4
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's a BS move on the builder's part if they didn't show your friend the utility box location when they went to pick out the lot. My understanding is, the developer would have indicated which lots have the boxes to the builder. When I built my house, it was already shown on the lot map, and the prices reflected it (a few grand off for lots that have the box).
Old 07-31-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
CarlLester
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Thanks for your reply as well. I could not agree more. Apparently in this case, my friends were able to see the drawings and the box was not on there. So it appears that the builder isn't lying. It's just lame that they would not have picked the lot had they known. And even now, the few grand off the lot should still apply after the fact you would think.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:18 PM   #6
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

My guess is that Enmax or someone at the city determined that the utility box was required there upon subdivision or something like that. That's completely outside the control of the builder/developer, and fighting it is prohibitive due to time.

It could be worse. You could have lost a 3m x 3m corner off of your lot because someone at the city decided that they wanted it for waste and recycling trucks.
Old 09-25-2013, 12:40 PM   #7
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

just tell your friend to go at night and move it........

anywyas, when we built, the Cardel guy was able to show us a map of the street we boguht on and tell us where the utility boxes were - I really wanted a wider garage, but we would ahve had to buy a lot with a utility box on it and the wife said no.
Old 09-25-2013, 01:14 PM   #8
dsavillian
First Line Centre

Exp:

Seems strange that the builder wouldn't know that a lot wasn't "clean"

Do the original lot plans show a utility box?