Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-23-2021, 10:04 PM   #1
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:
Default 80s/90s Calgary Public Library Computer Catalogue Terminals

This is something that has been bothering me for years, but does anybody else remember the Calgary Public Library Computer Catalogue system back from the late 80s and early 90s?

I have vivid childhood memories of the ways we had to search for books on these terminals and I have incredibly fond memories of typing on the keyboards.

I can't for the life of me figure out what they were however. All I remember was that they were green screen computer terminals and the keyboard keycaps may have been black or some dark color. I have been searching for that same typing feeling for a very long time.

Does anybody else remember or know anything about the oldschool library catalogue system from 30+ years ago? Any idea what the terminals were?
Hack&Lube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:15 PM   #2
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I dont remember the terminals, but common terminals in that era would be the vt100s which I think were DECs. I also remember Wyse having a common terminal at that time. The vts were green displays, the Wyses might have been white on black.
psyang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2021, 10:25 PM   #3
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post
I dont remember the terminals, but common terminals in that era would be the vt100s which I think were DECs. I also remember Wyse having a common terminal at that time. The vts were green displays, the Wyses might have been white on black.
I found this article indicating CPL had migrated to Dynix in 1995. Researching Dynix seems to show it does work with Digital VT100s and Wyse terminals but that seems incredibly late to be still using terminals?

https://search.proquest.com/docview/...countid=140093

What I am remembering must be pre-1995 but the article infuriatingly doesn't explain what "the old system" was.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:17 AM   #4
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm curious now, too...I've got a buddy who's worked at one CPL or another for almost his entire life. I'll ask him, and update with his answer when he gets back to me.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 06:25 AM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

When I went to the UofC in 1997 they still had terminals like that which we used to pick courses and check email. I think they were around until 1999 or so.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 07:05 AM   #6
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I found this article indicating CPL had migrated to Dynix in 1995. Researching Dynix seems to show it does work with Digital VT100s and Wyse terminals but that seems incredibly late to be still using terminals?

https://search.proquest.com/docview/...countid=140093

What I am remembering must be pre-1995 but the article infuriatingly doesn't explain what "the old system" was.
That article says that Dynix is replacing an "aging, and overworked 15 year-old mainframe". If it's a mainframe, it will have been accessed via terminals.

Doing more searches on the Herald archives (I love doing this), I found a job posting from Sept 26, 1992 for a Senior Compute Operator at the Calgary Library. It mentions GEAC mini-computer knowledge as an asset.

On wikipedia, it mentions Geac introduced library management software in 1977, which is around the right timeframe for the "15 year old mainframe" comment from above.

It would have been running on a Geac 8000 which supported terminals that were "custom-designed Informer units".

From this page, it shows in May 1983 that Geac library terminals were produced (8360/8370), and later in December 1984, a terminal emulator was available for IBM PCs.

Edit: Just found this imgur gallery showing some pictures of an old geac library terminal. Does it look familiar?

Last edited by psyang; 02-24-2021 at 07:10 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to psyang For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 07:26 AM   #7
psyang
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looks like there's one more on ebay available. Apparently a bunch were put on ebay back in December.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:39 PM   #8
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyang View Post

Thanks for finding this information. That doesn't ring any bells. It definitely looks more colorful/70s than I remember. I seem to remember a dark keyboard kind of DEC VT100 or Radioshack TRS-80 type keycaps.

My imagination may be playing tricks on me however, it might have just been a standard grey/black/beige Wyse or IBM Model M style keyboard?
Old 02-24-2021, 03:01 PM   #9
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
When I went to the UofC in 1997 they still had terminals like that which we used to pick courses and check email. I think they were around until 1999 or so.
Whoa, you're that old? Why did I think you were way younger? I was there 96 - 00.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:04 PM   #10
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Whoa, you're that old? Why did I think you were way younger? I was there 96 - 00.
I'm so ####ing old. 1997-2002.
Old 02-24-2021, 03:09 PM   #11
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

lol I thought you were 30ish. Guess you just type like a younger man.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 03:12 PM   #12
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'll try to work more old English into my posts to show my age better.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 03:34 PM   #13
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here's my friend's reply to your question:

Quote:
Believe it or not, I do remember a bit of the history of Calgary Public Library’s computer systems. I’ve worked at the library since 1982, so I’ve lived through most of them.

CPL’s first system was Plessy, which began in 1978 and crashed and burned within a couple years. Much more successful was Geac, which the library had from 1983-1995. This actual sounds like the system your friend is remembering. The public terminals were actually “dumb” terminals provided by Geac that just connected to the main database downtown, but the computer screen was black with green lettering – in a few rare, delightful cases, orange.

After Geac came Dynix, which the library used from 1995-2004. The computer screens there were more standard, with an off-white screen and black lettering; again using dumb terminals.

In 2004, Dynix (now SirsiDynix) evolved into Horizon, which used a program on actual PCs to connect to the library’s catalogue and resources – this is when CPL began offering public internet access.

About 5 years ago, CPL developed its own interface with Horizon and uses both it and the SirsiDynix Horizon systems for different uses. Around the same time, CPL, like almost every public library system internationally, partnered with Bibliocommons to give a shared access platform to patrons.

So – I think your friend, from his description, is remembering Geac. ��

Boy, those were the days!!

Last edited by WhiteTiger; 02-24-2021 at 03:36 PM.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to WhiteTiger For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 03:46 PM   #14
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
Here's my friend's reply to your question:
Oh wow! That's awesome. There's all this obscure history that's part of the collective consciousness of growing up in a city that is often forgotten and wouldn't be documented anywhere except for in your friend's memory!

I loved going to the Nose Hill / Northland Library as a kid after swimming Sir Winston Churchill pool next door and then searching for books in the catalogue computer terminal.

Geac definitely sounds like the right one. Any chance he can remember what the terminal keyboards looked like or were called or if it was actually the one that Psyang posted above? I'm actually looking for one to possibly retrofit and use for modern day typing but that yellow/white one doesn't seem to jive with what I remember at the Nose Hill Branch.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 02-24-2021 at 03:48 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 03:47 PM   #15
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm getting old, when we were kids the library had cabinets full of of paper cards that you looked up the location of books with.

Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2021, 03:53 PM   #16
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

The microfiche machines were bad-ass.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:04 PM   #17
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is it all the typos?
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:37 PM   #18
Trolleydodger
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
I'm so ####ing old. 1997-2002.

You're kids.

I predate the Mac Hall expansion.
Trolleydodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 11:25 AM   #19
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wished I had seen this thread earlier than today. I'm in IT for libraries and I can probably answer quite a few questions, but not necessarily to full accuracy for what a particular library or region is doing.

Dynix seemed to be the defacto standard for a long time in Alberta. I'm not entirely sure if everybody used it, but most libraries did. Dynix was the name of the program made by Dynix.

Sirsi and Dynix merged into SirsiDynix and they made new and improved products. Horizon and Symphony being two of the most commonly used ILS (Integrated Library System) software used in the province today the other is Polaris. The two large libraries, CPL and EPL (Edmonton), do a lot of their own in-house development to customize the way their staff and patrons interface with the ILS.

BiblioCommons is the online portal where you, that patrons, can manage your account and items checked out or holds you have placed. BiblioCommons has a huge market share for libraries.

As for the hardware that you used in the library back in the late 80s and early 90s? Probably WYSE terminals. In the late 90s windows computers were used, at least by library staff, and Dynix was a terminal window that connected to the server.

I was part of a team that integrated from Dynix to SirsiDynix's Symphony over a decade ago. What a HUGE job that was! Even though I wasn't an end user of Dynix I miss it because it is your typical early 90s style program that I grew up using.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynix_(software)
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post: