Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-28-2021, 08:01 PM   #8061
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Who are the centers that are definitely better than Eichel who are under 27? I would have the following on my list

McDavid
Matthews
MacKinnon
Draisaitl

Then you have about 6 that one can make an argument are around the same (maybe better, maybe worse) as Eichel

Point
Scheifele
Barkov
Aho
Pettersson
Barzal

What is the value of a young center that is anywhere between the 5th to 10th best at his position for his age group and makes 10 million a year? Is he a guy you give up most of your remaining prospect base for? Is he a guy you give up some of your limited depth for?
Do you guys really think Eichel wouldn't have 100+ points playing with McDavid and 30 mins a night (and spare me the lies that they don't play together)

Drai is a really good player but I think sometimes he is over rated. What 70% of his points had McDavid on the ice last year? Imagine the room you get...Ty Rattie looked like the second coming for a while there.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:10 PM   #8062
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Considering he played with Ovechkin, his assist totals are what I’d expect. Except when he doesn’t play with Ovechkin, in which case his assist totals aren’t great.

He replaced Backstrom but now he’s been replaced by Backstrom.

You may like him better, but it’s not a huge gap and saying stuff like “31 GMs would take him over Monahan” is just hyperbole. If his 7.8M for 52 points last year is good value, then Monahan’s $6.375 for 48 is even better. One has 8 seasons, 395 points. The other has 8 seasons, but is younger, plays with a lesser talent and has 426 points.
Zero hyperbole in that statement, I'll stand by it.

52 points in 63 games for Kuznetsov, BTW. 0.83 PPG

Monahan scored 48 in 70 games, or a 0.68 PPG
Old 02-28-2021, 08:32 PM   #8063
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Zero hyperbole in that statement, I'll stand by it.

52 points in 63 games for Kuznetsov, BTW. 0.83 PPG

Monahan scored 48 in 70 games, or a 0.68 PPG
No one cares if anyone “stands by” their statement.

But PPG? That was Monahan’s worst year since his rookie year. Do the year before. Or 16-17. Or 14-15.

These guys have comparable stats and one of them, again, plays with a guy who scores 45-50 on the regular.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 08:35 PM   #8064
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
All those guys are rentals, and underperforming ones at that.
For sure, I'm just saying that in this terrible trade market it makes sense for BUF to focus on getting the best returns for their expiring assets.

Hall should still fetch a 1st+
Staal a 2nd+
Montour probably a 2nd+

Funny fact: BUF's ESG leaders are Lazar (4) and Rieder (3); 3rd and 4th in total goals behind Reinhart and Olofsson who have a bunch on the PP
The Following User Says Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #8065
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
For sure, I'm just saying that in this terrible trade market it makes sense for BUF to focus on getting the best returns for their expiring assets.

Hall should still fetch a 1st+
Staal a 2nd+
Montour probably a 2nd+

Funny fact: BUF's ESG leaders are Lazar (4) and Rieder (3); 3rd and 4th in total goals behind Reinhart and Olofsson who have a bunch on the PP
Does Reider have any SHGs? I miss him there.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:52 PM   #8066
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does Reider have any SHGs? I miss him there.
Looks like he's tied for 1st (and last) with 0 SHG.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:17 PM   #8067
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Detroit's Anthony Mantha RW has 9 points and is a -10 this season. He is pointless and -7 in his last 9 games. Like Sam Bennett, Mantha has been benched this season and didn't much like it. I believe he is a better player than Sam Bennett and I think he would fit in nicely on the top 6 for Calgary. C'mon Tre, make Yzerman an offer.

*edit - Mantha makes $5.75M for the next 4 years. There goes that idea.

Last edited by SportsJunky; 02-28-2021 at 09:22 PM.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:23 PM   #8068
howard_the_duck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
No one cares if anyone “stands by” their statement.
Cool, good talk.

Quote:

But PPG? That was Monahan’s worst year since his rookie year. Do the year before. Or 16-17. Or 14-15.
How about career PPG? Kuznetsov's got him there, too. Playoffs it's even more lopsided, especially production at Even Strength.

Quote:
These guys have comparable stats and one of them, again, plays with a guy who scores 45-50 on the regular.
It goes both ways if you're making a fair comparison. You discredit Kuznetsov for having an elite triggerman, but no mention that Monahan has benefited tremendously from having an elite playmaker.

Monahan's jump in production is directly linked to playing with Johnny. His PPG nearly doubled from his rookie season to their first season together.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:28 PM   #8069
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mantha has his warts, but if you're going to wait for the perfect player to become available, you're going to be waiting a long time.

A prime aged big bodied top 6 winger who can score goals fills a need for sure.

Not a bad contract either for what he usually brings.
The Following User Says Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 09:38 PM   #8070
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

This NHL top 20 centre list from November has Eichel #6 and Monahan absent.

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-current...rs/c-319621210

This TSN top 50 player list from 2021 has Eichel at #8 and Monahan absent.

https://www.tsn.ca/still-no-1-connor...year-1.1576126

Suffice to say people outside this forum don’t see them at anywhere near the same level.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 09:44 PM   #8071
CGY12
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post

Suffice to say people outside this forum don’t see them at anywhere near the same level.
The people who think its close are delusional homers. I'm not bothering at this point.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CGY12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #8072
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who said Monahan is close to Eichel?
Old 02-28-2021, 09:49 PM   #8073
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post

I have seen ONE poster in this thread suggest that Eichel and Monahan are on the same level. Suffice to say that you are misrepresenting "this forum."

Besides that, some of those player rankings in the TSN list are ludicrous.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Old 02-28-2021, 10:33 PM   #8074
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

THN has Eichel ranked as the league's 13th best player, 8th best C. They make a point of mentioning that everyone has been wondering what he can do with elite linemates, and he finally may have one in Hall. I don't think the two of them have the chemistry though.

9 of Eichel's goals last year were game winners, good for third best in the league. This is an elite player needing a change.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 10:59 PM   #8075
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Except score, play any level of defense, make others around him better, and win? If fans are pissed at Monahan wait until they get a load of this guy! Then again, there is a contingent on this site that prefers to cheer for individual success over team success, so maybe Eichel is the perfect fit for those fans? I want a team that plays for each other and wins, not individuals who play flashy and get their heads caved in.
No disrespect intended, but Eichel had over a ppg the two years before this one, and just under a ppg the year before that, despite not having top-tier players to play with-so he can score. 9 GWG last year, too. He was 8th in Hart Trophy voting as well-ahead of Matthews, Kucherov, Ovi, and Kane.

Of course he makes players around him better, just ask guys like Reinhart, and Olofsson. He's a play-driver, and his 42 assists last year led the team (his 12 assists lead the team currently).

His defence doesn't match up with a guy like Couturier or Barkov, but I'm sure he matches up with Matthews, or MacDavid in this category-and we don't ever feel the need to talk about their defence. Eichel gets the puck, it goes the other way immediately.

Fans here will not be upset having Eichel over Monahan,in any way, shape, or form- that's pure hyperbole. Eichel is a better player in every way than Mony, and the fact that he's fast and drives play changes the dynamic of our offence. Like I said earlier, put Johnny on his wing, and he'll get 100pts easy. If he took Draisaitl's spot on the Oilers, he would have production comparable to Drai's.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:01 PM   #8076
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard_the_duck View Post
Cool, good talk.

How about career PPG? Kuznetsov's got him there, too. Playoffs it's even more lopsided, especially production at Even Strength.

It goes both ways if you're making a fair comparison. You discredit Kuznetsov for having an elite triggerman, but no mention that Monahan has benefited tremendously from having an elite playmaker.

Monahan's jump in production is directly linked to playing with Johnny. His PPG nearly doubled from his rookie season to their first season together.
People laughing at a Monahan-Eichel comparison need to see your Gaudreau-Ovechkin comparison. Guadreau is a very good playmaker. Ovechkin is the best goal scorer ever.

Career PPG is between Monahan and Kuznetsov is .03 difference - congrats. Kuznetsov is also one of the worst defenders in the league. Two years ago he literally had the worst advanced stats defensively. Luckily, he and Ovechkin scored a ton.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2021, 11:03 PM   #8077
Saqe
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by new era View Post
big right shooting rw with puck retrieval skills and some ability to finish? Hells yes! Too bad we don't have any cap space. Maybe a trade? Ryan for connolly?

That does make some sense. Florida won't be able to move him if they don't take salary back. Maybe if they retain to match the cap hits with Ryan? So Connolly at 3.125 for two more years after this. Still a bit much but he does tick some boxes for the Flames and it's not like he's over the hill.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1366074387129118724
Old 02-28-2021, 11:07 PM   #8078
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
People laughing at a Monahan-Eichel comparison need to see your Gaudreau-Ovechkin comparison. Guadreau is a very good playmaker. Ovechkin is the best goal scorer ever.

Career PPG is between Monahan and Kuznetsov is .03 difference - congrats. Kuznetsov is also one of the worst defenders in the league. Two years ago he literally had the worst advanced stats defensively. Luckily, he and Ovechkin scored a ton.
Doesn't Kuz have some attitude and conditioning issues? I seem to remember him getting a team suspension a few years back? I could be wrong....
Old 02-28-2021, 11:09 PM   #8079
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
THN has Eichel ranked as the league's 13th best player, 8th best C. They make a point of mentioning that everyone has been wondering what he can do with elite linemates, and he finally may have one in Hall. I don't think the two of them have the chemistry though.

9 of Eichel's goals last year were game winners, good for third best in the league. This is an elite player needing a change.
I haven’t seen enough of his play to say what kind of linemates he needs.

Game winning goals isn’t a stat that means a whole lot though. Lots of “insurance” type goals can turn into the game winner. I actually would put more stock in numbers for scoring first in a game, because the stats on winning games where that happens are so good.
Old 02-28-2021, 11:12 PM   #8080
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Doesn't Kuz have some attitude and conditioning issues? I seem to remember him getting a team suspension a few years back? I could be wrong....
I don’t know about conditioning. He argues with teammates a lot. He’s obviously a good C. But he’s in a big romp of centres ranked between 20-30 that includes Monahan and a bunch of other guys. The claim that any GM would want him over Monahan is too broad because money, fit, role, character, age, all come into it.

I wouldn’t see him work well with Gaudreau, for example.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread