Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-16-2021, 04:54 PM   #2601
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I had a chance to watch Midway last weekend. I originally avoided it because the critics pretty much hated it. I did not hate it. I enjoyed the movie and I would recommend it to anyone who likes WWII era movies.

You're talking about the one released a couple of years back. Personally I watched it, if you want to watch a movie on Midway skip the new one and watch the one made in the 70's. Its excellent from a historical perspective, really well acted, more accurate and more focused on the battles then the new one. And honestly the effects combine practical and archival footage, so it had a more gritty realism to it.

Plus it had Tom Selleck and Eric Estrada in minor blink and you miss them roles.

the old one is usually readily available on streaming and pops up on TV once in a while.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 05:04 PM   #2602
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
Is there a love story sub plot?
No. A couple of them had wives or girlfriends to get back to but nothing was dedicated to the soldiers developing relationships with these ladies.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 05:07 PM   #2603
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
You're talking about the one released a couple of years back. Personally I watched it, if you want to watch a movie on Midway skip the new one and watch the one made in the 70's. Its excellent from a historical perspective, really well acted, more accurate and more focused on the battles then the new one. And honestly the effects combine practical and archival footage, so it had a more gritty realism to it.

Plus it had Tom Selleck and Eric Estrada in minor blink and you miss them roles.

the old one is usually readily available on streaming and pops up on TV once in a while.
I have a hard time watching older films. Technology and how they shoot films is so much better these days, even how they tell the stories and develop the characters has improved.

I'm not saying I won't watch it, but with so much time to watch movies and a list a mile long and growing, I may get to it, I may not.

I have heard good things about the original Midway though.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buff For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:18 PM   #2604
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Ugh,

Midway was atrocious. Dialogue was laughably bad "This is for Pearl!!!"

The whole undertaking was massive. Sure, its tough to explain the significance of Midway without discussing the war in the pacific leading up to it, but damn they started at Pearl Harbor and proceeded to provide exposition for every major engagement after. It's like if Saving Private Ryan had an additional hour at the beginning moving from the invasion of Poland.

The Chinese scenes, while a small amount of the movie, were clearly pandering to the Chinese market - made even more apparent when you realize who funded this abomination.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2021, 09:53 PM   #2605
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
I have a hard time watching older films. Technology and how they shoot films is so much better these days, even how they tell the stories and develop the characters has improved.

I'm not saying I won't watch it, but with so much time to watch movies and a list a mile long and growing, I may get to it, I may not.

I have heard good things about the original Midway though.
Frankly the original midway does stand the test of time to me, mainly because of the usage of actual footage, and in other cases the practical effects. In Midway the original, a lot of the story and character development to me was far superior to the new movie. You also get a larger feeling of scale in the original, right down to them giving time to relatively minor sounding events, like the broken radios on the Japanese scout planes. The original movie is really historically accurate.

Add on the effects in the original didn't over power the film, whereas in the new one they did.

I really strongly recommend that movie and Tora Tora Tora.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 05:44 PM   #2606
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

Watched The Hunt last night, not sure why we picked that one. Anyway, I made it through the whole thing. It wasn't terrible. It was bad but it wasn't terrible. Whiskey definitely helped.
2/5 for entertainment value.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:03 PM   #2607
Zevo
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yup, add me to the ‘new Midway is horrible’ group. Didn’t even get halfway through. CGI is terrible, dialogue is terrible.
Zevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 07:46 PM   #2608
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I thought Monster Hunter was great, no needless back story and other fluff.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2021, 08:07 PM   #2609
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Judas and the Black Messiah is fantastic. First pandemic big release I’ve seen that genuinely get like a true big budget film not Netflix crap. Amazing acting jobs by Lakeith and Daniel Kaluuya, I thinks there are Oscar nominations in their immediate futures.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ResAlien For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 08:20 PM   #2610
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Just finished watching Greenland on Prime, and for a disaster movie with Gerard Butler it is way better than it has any right to be. He's actually quite good in this as a regular dad just trying to keep his family alive, and Morena Baccarin is very good as well. The whole comet-hits-Earth premise is also portrayed in a much more realistic fashion than Deep Impact or Armageddon, even if that's not a very high bar. It's nice to finally see Butler in something decent and not the usual schlock he's in
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2021, 11:55 PM   #2611
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Just finished watching Greenland on Prime, and for a disaster movie with Gerard Butler it is way better than it has any right to be. He's actually quite good in this as a regular dad just trying to keep his family alive, and Morena Baccarin is very good as well. The whole comet-hits-Earth premise is also portrayed in a much more realistic fashion than Deep Impact or Armageddon, even if that's not a very high bar. It's nice to finally see Butler in something decent and not the usual schlock he's in
I just finished this a couple days ago too. I didn't know Gerald Butler was so poorly viewed before watching this. I think this is the first movie I've ever seen him in and he played the dad role perfectly I thought. I enjoyed it.

The only part that bugged me was once he's in the evacuation centre and has to go back to the car with the mob outside. He's like "It's alright I've got a wristband!" It's like he's at a festival and just needs to step outside quick for a smoke break or something.
savemedrzaius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 12:28 PM   #2612
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Framing Britney Spears was great. oh baby baby
Old 02-22-2021, 10:55 AM   #2613
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Watched Nomadland on the weekend. Frances McDormand, as usual, is excellent, and I think this is a pretty timely piece that follows people who have given up on the American dream to live a nomadic life. Worth the watch and at least a 7 or 8 out of 10.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cheese For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2021, 09:11 AM   #2614
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wastedyouth View Post
That's not hard. The book sucks. Never understood why it was so popular.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 02-24-2021, 12:53 PM   #2615
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched Midway because of this thread. I totally expected Pearl Harbor so it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't good. Ed Skrein is an atrocious actor, just comically bad. The CGI seemed pretty off brand too. The subtitles on Prime were also brutally delayed, so that was a little annoying.

Other than that, it was fine. I'd like more modern Pacific Theatre movies, but I feel like WW2 movies will be extinct soon. It's also a little more touchy to do a Pacific movie in the modern era because racism was pretty central on both sides.

edit: oh man, I just realized Ed Skrein played the Daario they replaced in Game of Thrones. Basically the moment he had to start reading lines they got someone else.

Last edited by nik-; 02-24-2021 at 01:00 PM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 12:16 AM   #2616
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a request for some of you reviewers.

When recommending please state where one can see it, not everyone has every platform.

Thanks
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-27-2021, 12:20 AM   #2617
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Velvet Buzzsaw was weird and a bit overlong with some great characters.

If would've worked better as a dark comedy all the way through rather than turning into a horror film.

Had one of my favorite deaths in a while though.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 10:20 AM   #2618
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Velvet Buzzsaw was weird and a bit overlong with some great characters.

If would've worked better as a dark comedy all the way through rather than turning into a horror film.

Had one of my favorite deaths in a while though.
IMO it's one of the better Netflix movies. The casting is fantastic.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2021, 02:53 PM   #2619
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
I have a request for some of you reviewers.

When recommending please state where one can see it, not everyone has every platform.

Thanks
I look forward to recommending a bunch of movies that are not on any streaming platform at all, which is the bulk of the movies that I truly love (the ones that were a bad idea to film in the first place). There are actually a few amazing movies caught in limbo, because of lawyering, that I might recommend just to frustrate people.
Old 02-27-2021, 04:04 PM   #2620
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I watched Midway because of this thread. I totally expected Pearl Harbor so it wasn't that bad, but it wasn't good. Ed Skrein is an atrocious actor, just comically bad. The CGI seemed pretty off brand too. The subtitles on Prime were also brutally delayed, so that was a little annoying.

Other than that, it was fine. I'd like more modern Pacific Theatre movies, but I feel like WW2 movies will be extinct soon. It's also a little more touchy to do a Pacific movie in the modern era because racism was pretty central on both sides.

edit: oh man, I just realized Ed Skrein played the Daario they replaced in Game of Thrones. Basically the moment he had to start reading lines they got someone else.
I do find instances like this funny.

Because Ed Skrein left because he wasnt convinced GoT was going to be any good or something like that and got an offer to do some other TV show and took it.

I look at The Walking Dead and SMG (its a long name) left and went to Star Trek Discovery and then Maggie at least left her options open to come back since she did leave and then her new show got promptly cancelled.

Acting is a tough gig and some people prefer a steady paycheque.

Granted....then they probably shouldnt be actors, but I digress.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote