Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-11-2019, 12:28 PM   #21
DFO
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I may be in the minority but I'm cheering on Hamilton and Mercedes. I'd also like to see Stroll do well this year with a better car.

The only team I dislike is RedBull - didn't like the way they dealt with Ricciardo & Verstappen last year.
DFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:43 PM   #22
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hate to say it but racing costs money and none of these guys got there based solely on their ability to drive. It's the same in every series. Talent amongst the players rises to the top but a lot of talent is left in the lower divisions and the friday night short tracks.

TheIronMaiden - you can cheer for anyone you want, as long as the car is red!

speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to speede5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #23
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post

No Good teams are Racing Point...for whatever reason I can't stand Stroll and his dad. Sure, he's Canadian, but he's had his entire career bought and paid for...he's not F1 quality IMO.
Pretty much every documentary I've seen points to this being the entire premise of almost every career. It's a rich, privileged sport with rich privileged kids having their careers paved by money and connections.

I guess Lance has become an easily hated face for it because his story is right there on the day to day with his dad publicly going through the process of moving his son around.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 03:46 PM   #24
jayswin

Exp:

Plus, I don't know if it's entirely fair to write off Lance as not F1 quality when he's only 19 and was racing for a team that is literally imploded in the last few years and struggles mightily to put cars worthy of formula 1 on the road.

I think this season will be a much better indicator of how is career will go than last. The kid's got talent.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:49 PM   #25
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by speede5 View Post
Hate to say it but racing costs money and none of these guys got there based solely on their ability to drive. It's the same in every series.
Maybe half, probably less, of the grid is pay drivers. And even within the ranks of pay drivers, there is variation. There is a big difference between daddy paying your bills and having a relationship with a sponsor.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #26
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Maybe half, probably less, of the grid is pay drivers. And even within the ranks of pay drivers, there is variation. There is a big difference between daddy paying your bills and having a relationship with a sponsor.
No there isn’t.

Either you’re one of the 20 best drivers in the world or you’re not.

Whether you’re the 25th best driver or 50th is irrelevant. You’re taking a spot from someone more skilled because the team needs your money. Where it comes from doesn’t matter.

I’d put Lance’s resume up against any other current pay driver on the grid.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 05:52 PM   #27
jayswin

Exp:

I actually like Verstappen for the same reason most hate him. Maybe it's because you guys have been following longer and understand the nuances more. But as a newbie last season I almost gave up on the sport due to the glorified parade races with little movement or excitement.

Really glad I stuck with it, but a big part of that was having an emotional, talented young driver in Verstappen who didn't play nice due to his passion and drive to win. Sure as a purist it probably comes off arrogant and unsportsmanlike, but to a casual fan it was something actually happening from time to time. Made it more exciting.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:54 PM   #28
jayswin

Exp:

What's a pay driver?
Old 03-11-2019, 05:58 PM   #29
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Now whether you hate Lance because he’s spoiled (debatable), a whiner (aren’t all F1 drivers?), has an ugly face and whiny voice etc is another story. When Fernando, Kimi, Ricciardo, Max etc yell at their teams over the radio, or literally quit races due to frustration (ahem looking at you Fernando), no one bats an eyelash. I get they’ve got a pedigree but it doesn’t excuse that type of behaviour.

All we know right now is that he’s good enough that he can compete in F1 without embarrassing himself. That’s good enough for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 06:00 PM   #30
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
What's a pay driver?
Basically what Lance is. So a guy that has to pay for his seat. Usually one who wouldn’t have a seat at all if not for being subsidized.

Often times it is justified because car development outweighs driver skill. So Lance giving Williams $40m is way more advantageous to the team in terms of improving lap times than a better driver would if they didn’t have that extra cash to spend on the wind tunnel or whatever.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #31
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayswin View Post
I actually like Verstappen for the same reason most hate him. Maybe it's because you guys have been following longer and understand the nuances more. But as a newbie last season I almost gave up on the sport due to the glorified parade races with little movement or excitement.

Really glad I stuck with it, but a big part of that was having an emotional, talented young driver in Verstappen who didn't play nice due to his passion and drive to win. Sure as a purist it probably comes off arrogant and unsportsmanlike, but to a casual fan it was something actually happening from time to time. Made it more exciting.
Verstappen is interesting. I don’t hate him all the time. I respect his skill. Same as I respect Hamilton.

But sometimes Max just does such idiotic things on track it infuriates me.

It’s what makes F1 so interesting to me. I rag on Max and Hamilton quite often but the truth of it is I like everybody on the grid. And it’s fun to be able to watch a sport where I cheer for everyone. I just want good racing. Although I do have favorites.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:05 PM   #32
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Now whether you hate Lance because he’s spoiled (debatable), a whiner (aren’t all F1 drivers?), has an ugly face and whiny voice etc is another story. When Fernando, Kimi, Ricciardo, Max etc yell at their teams over the radio, or literally quit races due to frustration (ahem looking at you Fernando), no one bats an eyelash. I get they’ve got a pedigree but it doesn’t excuse that type of behaviour.

All we know right now is that he’s good enough that he can compete in F1 without embarrassing himself. That’s good enough for me.
Well said, and again I think he's going to take a huge step forward this season.
Old 03-11-2019, 09:43 PM   #33
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
No there isn’t.

Either you’re one of the 20 best drivers in the world or you’re not.

You are allowed to be wrong.

The 20 best drivers haven't been on the grid in twenty five years. To think there isn't a pecking order between the pay drivers is woefully ignorant.
Old 03-12-2019, 09:44 AM   #34
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even drivers who are hired at the top level based on their talent and results at the lower levels more often than not have had huge amounts of money spent on their careers.

Stating this as fact is not complaining about it either. I race locally and I know what it takes. I've been involved with the Pinty's series as well. Talent and hard work pay off but to really make it you have to race more than weekends 8 nights a year.

F1 drivers are athletes who work hard training etc. There is skill that has been developed and you have to be able to hold your own to be on the grid. You can't take that away from them. The money factor is no different than the kid who has to play house league while another gets to play on club teams year round. Money is a factor in most sports. To be upset about it just makes you the victim, to understand it gives you realistic expectations and the tools to find a way to make it work for you.

I would say 40% or more of the work I do on my race team is sponsor related. It would be more if I didn't have to do all the maintenance myself! Once you have the money behind you then you get to learn how to set-up and race.
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 11:05 AM   #35
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

@jayswin, what makes you think Stroll is going to take a step forward this year?? I assume its not racing that POS Williams. Just curious what you see in him?? I just dont see anything that makes me think he can take the next step to be competitive in the mid field. And I'm not questioning his talent per se, but relative to other F1/F2/FE drivers hes average at best. I'd be shocked if he outqualifies Perez once this year.

Should've been more clear in my original post...of course its a rich guys sport (more than most), and my dislike of Stroll may be irrational, but I just dont like him. Plus you can't like everyone...lol.

Here are the 2018 salaries (quick google)...https://www.thisisf1.com/2018/01/22/...aid-f1-driver/ The difference between Vettel ($60MM) and Leclerc ($150K) is gigantic. Couple that with a rather distorted legacy payment scheme and F1 may need a real salary cap and more equitable money distribution.

Anyone have thoughts on the new point for fastest lap??

And someone was looking for news/info on racing...I really like the following apps: F1reader / motorsport news digest / motorsport f1 fans. Instagram: hotlapmode / georgio_piola / skysportsf1
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 07:28 PM   #36
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Sad news.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1105995646165606400
Old 03-13-2019, 08:25 PM   #37
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's terrible news.

One of the highlights of going to Austin was getting to shake his hand.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:37 PM   #38
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAMESRULE View Post
Anyone have thoughts on the new point for fastest lap??
I’m fine with it. It’s a bit tacky but I can’t see any major downsides. A few guys in no man’s land will pit for fresh tires and go for the point. That provides some extra entertainment. I could see Max taking it regularly. Some extra risk if a driver pushes too hard and goes off or crashes, costing his team points.

Red Bull, Ferrari and Merc were responsible for 20 of the 21 fastest laps in 2018. Haas in Singapore being the only other winner. I should hope there’s a bit more variety this year. But hard to judge previous years when there was no incentive.

Edit: I believe it only applies to drivers who finish in the top 10. Should prevent any back markers from ignoring blue flags while on a fast lap and causing havoc. Keep the extra point relevant to the top teams.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-13-2019 at 10:25 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #39
FLAMESRULE
First Line Centre

Exp:

Correct...but you actually have to finish in the top 10. So my understanding is that even if you're P7 and get fastest lap but drop to P11 final classification then no one gets the point.

Part of me thinks it should be available to everyone. The back markers need the points WAY more to help get that little bit extra funding. But like you said the big 3 will most certainly get nearly every one anyways.
FLAMESRULE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FLAMESRULE For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 11:11 AM   #40
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Is there any point in following what is happening on the practice days, or should I only check in for the qualifying?
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote