Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-15-2019, 05:31 PM   #921
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm looking at the MSI Raider gaming laptops. I see the GE73 has been supplanted with the GE75. The only real difference I can see is that the GE75 is using the new GEForce RTX chipset. Is it worth the extra $200?
Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:51 AM   #922
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

More of a printer question for ya'll but figured this was still the place to ask:

In our office, we have a bunch of Brother printers. Sometimes when we replace the toner, the printer starts printing out pages with a ton of black smudges all over it. Pull out the drum and it's covered in toner. Worked fine before, only thing that changed was the toner. Try zipping that green slide back and forth but that doesn't do anything to the infuser as far as I can tell. Tried blowing it all out with compressed air. Improves it a bit but still crappy. Only thing that resolves the issue is a new drum but those get pricey.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #923
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heads up another huge speculative execution vulnerability with all Intel processors. Intel recommends disabling of Hyper threading to prevent an attack. Microcode patch has been released but this will take time to integrate and the impact on performance will be in the ~3% hit on consumer applications and 9-10% range on datacenter, compounding the 10-15% performance impact from the previous Meltdown microcode patch. AMD processors are not impacted. We'll have to wait for final benchmarks for impacts in performance.

Quote:
Intel Recommends Disabling Hyper Threading
The company admitted in its white paper that the software mitigations will have a significant effect on how HT works. The threads will need a higher level of isolation between each other, and they will not be able to run processes from different security domains anymore. Threads from different security domains will simply become idle (thus turning into wasted processing power).

Intel has also been publicly reluctant to agree with the disabling of HT when others have called for it with the discovery of some previous CPU flaws, but in its paper, the company stated that disabling HT altogether may be warranted as protection against MDS attacks.
Quote:
Security researchers have found a new class of vulnerabilities in Intel chips which, if exploited, can be used to steal sensitive information directly from the processor.,

The bugs are reminiscent of Meltdown and Spectre, which exploited a weakness in speculative execution, an important part of how modern processors work. Speculative execution helps processors predict to a certain degree what an application or operating system might need next and in the near-future, making the app run faster and more efficient. The processor will execute its predictions if they’re needed, or discard them if they’re not.

Both Meltdown and Spectre leaked sensitive data stored briefly in the processor, including secrets — such as passwords, secret keys and account tokens, and private messages.

Now some of the same researchers are back with an entirely new round of data-leaking bugs.

“ZombieLoad,” as it’s called, is a side-channel attack targeting Intel chips, allowing hackers to effectively exploit design flaws rather than injecting malicious code. Intel said ZombieLoad is made up of four bugs, which the researchers reported to the chip maker just a month ago.

Almost every computer with an Intel chips dating back to 2011 are affected by the vulnerabilities. AMD and ARM chips are not said to be vulnerable like earlier side-channel attacks.

ZombieLoad takes its name from a “zombie load,” an amount of data that the processor can’t understand or properly process, forcing the processor to ask for help from the processor’s microcode to prevent a crash. Apps are usually only able to see their own data, but this bug allows that data to bleed across those boundary walls. ZombieLoad will leak any data currently loaded by the processor’s core, the researchers said. Intel said patches to the microcode will help clear the processor’s buffers, preventing data from being read.

Intel has released microcode to patch vulnerable processors, including Intel Xeon, Intel Broadwell, Sandy Bridge, Skylake and Haswell chips. Intel Kaby Lake, Coffee Lake, Whiskey Lake and Cascade Lake chips are also affected, as well as all Atom and Knights processors.

But other tech giants, like consumer PC and device manufacturers, are also issuing patches as a first line of defense against possible attacks.

Computer makers Apple and Microsoft and browser makers Google have released patches, with other companies expected to follow.

In a call with TechCrunch, Intel said the microcode updates, like previous patches, would have an impact on processor performance. An Intel spokesperson told TechCrunch that most patched consumer devices could take a 3 percent performance hit at worst, and as much as 9 percent in a datacenter environment. But, the spokesperson said, it was unlikely to be noticeable in most scenarios.
Apple devices using Intel processors are reportedly faring far far worse
Quote:
The full mitigation, which includes disabling hyper-threading, prevents information leakage across threads and when transitioning between kernel and user space, which is associated with the MDS vulnerabilities for both local and remote (web) attacks.

Testing conducted by Apple in May 2019 showed as much as a 40 percent reduction in performance with tests that include multithreaded workloads and public benchmarks. Performance tests are conducted using specific Mac computers. Actual results will vary based on model, configuration, usage, and other factors.
https://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...e_05132019.pdf
https://techcrunch.com/2019/05/14/zo...el-processors/
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/in...ack,39333.html
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210108

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-16-2019 at 07:26 AM.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2019, 08:38 AM   #924
miraisoup
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I am really at a loss. I built a computer years ago and within the last year it started locking up randomly while watching youtube or just general usage. I had just assumed it's time was up and I bought a pre built from best buy and now that is doing the same damn thing. I have tried everything under the sun to fix this issue even down to a different HDMI cable. I'm really lost. Any ideas as to what you may think it is would be greatly appreciated. Everything is new minus the monitor and the power bar but with those im grasping at straws because they are literally the only things left that are from my old machine. Should also add I have used my accounts on a laptop I have and I have no issues.

I have now gone wireless without an ethernet cable, cause why not try it lol.

Last edited by miraisoup; 05-25-2019 at 09:12 AM.
miraisoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2019, 04:22 AM   #925
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

How many are contemplating switching due to Zombieload as AMD SMT is implemented more securely.

Also while Navi is nice, it isn't likely to lower pricing according to most rumors.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1131998879820468224
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cliche For This Useful Post:
Old 05-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #926
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Def going amd next build. But that won't be for 2 years minimum.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 09:01 AM   #927
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post
How many are contemplating switching due to Zombieload as AMD SMT is implemented more securely.

Also while Navi is nice, it isn't likely to lower pricing according to most rumors.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1131998879820468224
It's not just the security for Intel chips, it's that you get effectively the same performance for half the price at a lower TDP. That is on their top tier chip, not counting the mid range where Intel fares even worse.

AMD will lead in both single thread IPC (with the 15% IPC increase w/ Ryzen 3000 series), multi thread performance, price, security, and power efficiency for desktop and server processors for the near term future. Intel needs both the node change + core redesign for SMT security to even be competitive and their current road-map they are at least a couple of years out before both of those happen.
https://wccftech.com/amd-ryzen-3000-...ghz-announced/

Last edited by FlameOn; 05-27-2019 at 09:47 AM.
Old 05-27-2019, 04:49 PM   #928
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Def going amd next build. But that won't be for 2 years minimum.
Same here, planning for next year but definitely plan ng on an AMD processor
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:37 PM   #929
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

It's great to see AMD finally upping the stakes on Intel again. I remember building my first rig with an Athlon 64 1Ghz, which absolutly trounced anything Intel had at the time. Then came the Core series and that was it for AMD when it came to the performance crown. Wonder what Intel will do now that they finally have some competition again
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:07 PM   #930
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
It's great to see AMD finally upping the stakes on Intel again. I remember building my first rig with an Athlon 64 1Ghz, which absolutly trounced anything Intel had at the time. Then came the Core series and that was it for AMD when it came to the performance crown. Wonder what Intel will do now that they finally have some competition again
Probably go back to their old playbook of anticompetitive tactics to keep AMD's market share down, then live with the slap on the wrist ($1.4 billion last time) they get for it.

I would put that it green text but I'm only half kidding....they may actually do that.
Old 05-31-2019, 09:46 AM   #931
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Probably go back to their old playbook of anticompetitive tactics to keep AMD's market share down, then live with the slap on the wrist ($1.4 billion last time) they get for it.

I would put that it green text but I'm only half kidding....they may actually do that.
That's going to be a way tougher sell for Intel to pull with vendors this time around. Everyone has been significantly burned by Intel with Spectre, Meltdown and Zombieload. There have been Intel parts shortage that have caused industry-wide hits to vendors bottom lines (several on-going class action lawsuits) and Intel doesn't have solid answers in the product roadmaps to match AMD until the 2021/2022 time-frame.

With Snapdragon 8CX destroying Intel on the low end mobility even emulated, AMD attacking on the mid-high range with better Power/Performance/Price, motherboard vendors making bigger bets on AMD at Computex, HPE/Dell/Cray announcing Epyc server products... I have doubts those practices will have as big an effect this time around.

Not that Intel won't try like with the Tom's Hardware completely bias reporting from Computex (put out zero coverage of the ARM/AMD product launch but a glowing long Intel press piece on Ice Lake), but a lot of people will see through it this time around.

I included a highlight on products from both companies in the mid/high tier. Knowing power consumption is lower (TDP AMD measures is at full load vs TDP at intel is measured at base load AND 165W vs 105W on the top end for example), AMD IPC up to 15% better on benchmarks, AMD boards are socket compatible between generations, AMD support for PCIE 4.0, AMD pricing CPUs significantly lower than Intel, it'll be much harder for Intel to make a compelling argument for their consumer products. This is before realizing Intel needs a full core re-design to secure their multi-threading SMT architecture which will take more than a year... Intel seems only competitive in the ultra lower power space which Qualcomm will be competing with very soon.

Last edited by FlameOn; 06-01-2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:32 PM   #932
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Looking forward to benchmarks, gaming is still a top use case for my PC so individual thread performance still matters to me.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:42 PM   #933
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

I'm hoping MSI updates the BIOS for my x370 board. AMD says performance should be the same as the new chipsets so it'll be a no-brainer to upgrade.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 05:55 PM   #934
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Looking forward to benchmarks, gaming is still a top use case for my PC so individual thread performance still matters to me.
Same. Well if WoW counts as gaming.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:20 AM   #935
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

AMD is likely going to release the the world's first 16 core, 32 thread desktop (not HEDT) CPU with the Ryzen 9 3950x if the current leaked slide deck is real. I really wonder what the Threadripper platform CPUs are going to be like if they are already releasing a 16 core product on the mainstream desktop platform. Pricing hasn't been announced. No confirmed pricing yet, but rumor is it will be $700 USD so compared to Intel's offering.

Ryzen 9 3950X vs intel core i9-9960X
16c/32t vs 16c/32t
3.5 base/4.7 turbo vs 3.1 base/4.4 turbo
105 W TDP vs 165 W TDP
72 MB Cache vs 22 MB Cache
$700(?) vs. $1699

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-ryze...ore-gaming-cpu

Last edited by FlameOn; 06-09-2019 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 09:54 AM   #936
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Benchmarks for the Ryzen 5 3600 ($200USD) vs. Intel i7-8700k($350USD) leak. Single thread performance is on par between the two with better multi-thread. I'd expect the AMD 3600X to outperform the Intel 8700K given the 5% clock speed increase between the 3600 vs 3600X.

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu...eline=13473948
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 12:36 PM   #937
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Reviews are out:

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14605...aising-the-bar

The part I'm interested in:

Quote:
Gaming Performance

When it comes to gaming performance, the 9700K and 9900K remain the best performing CPUs on the market. Even without an IPC advantage anymore, Intel's high clockspeeds and supporting elements such as the core ringbus still give them the best performance in the kind of lightly-threaded and tightly-threaded scenarios that games often follow.

That being said, the new 3700X and 3900X are posting enormous improvements over the 2700X. And we can confirm AMD’s claims of up to 30-35% better performance in some games over the 2700X. So AMD has not been standing still.

Ultimately, while AMD still lags behind Intel in gaming performance, the gap has narrowed immensely, to the point that Ryzen CPUs are no longer something to be dismissed if you want to have a high-end gaming machine. Intel's performance advantage is rather limited here – and for the power-conscientious, AMD is delivering better efficiency at this point – so while they may not always win out as the very best choice for absolute peak gaming performance, the 3rd gen Ryzens are still very much a very viable option worth considering.
Kinda what I was expecting. I'm not going to upgrade now just to get one but they'll be up for consideration next time I do upgrade.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2019, 03:49 PM   #938
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Reviews are out:

Kinda what I was expecting. I'm not going to upgrade now just to get one but they'll be up for consideration next time I do upgrade.
Basically the only reason you'd go Intel is if you want a ~5% increase in single thread gaming performance on some games at 1080P and that is only because they have a clock advantage or optimization advantage... you'd have ignore that Intel is $50-75 more expensive with almost the same gaming performance but is far worse for both multi-threaded performance (3900X 45% better than the 9900k in multithreaded benchmarks), power efficiency, and both multi-thread and single threaded IPC performance. If you start enabling ODS, gaming group chats applications, or live streaming at all your gaming performance advantage on Intel will just crater compared to an AMD system.

Intel's performance is relying entirely very highly binned and highly clocked parts to get their i9 chips to perform slightly better and they are already maxing out their performance in gaming using their single core turbo. Since AMD performs better in single thread IPC and is on a smaller process than the i9 series processors, it will probably perform better in gaming after overclocking and get to a higher speed than i9. We'll see as the reviews trickle in but some initial results have the AMD chips clocking at 5.1Ghz overclock from a base clock of 3.9Ghz... That's a huge improvement!

Another review from Extremetech
Quote:
In the spring of 2005, AMD launched its dual-core Opteron and Athlon 64 X2 processor lines and kicked off what would later be known as its own golden age — an era when it strongly challenged Intel across desktops, servers, and workstations. In the 14 years between then and now, Advanced Micro Devices has never even come close to an equivalent moment.

Not until now.

When Intel launched the Core i9-9900K, we noted that both it and the 2700X were excellent products, but that AMD had a death grip on the performance-per-dollar category. That’s no longer the case. Dollar-for-dollar, the Core i9-9900K is annihilated in multi-threaded applications by the Ryzen 9 3900X and slightly exceeded in overall non-gaming performance by the $329 Ryzen 7 3700X.

Intel has no easy short-term answer here. There are rumors of a 10-core desktop on the horizon, but 14nm TDPs at high clock and core count are not friendly to anyone. AMD already has a 16-core desktop chip coming in September, and while it may not scale as well as its Threadripper equivalent due to limited memory bandwidth, it’ll scale well enough. Like the concept of a fleet in being, the existence of that 16-core CPU is tangible proof that AMD has gas in the tank and products it can introduce to drive performance higher.

Zen 2 is a tremendous victory for AMD. It may not be an absolute victory — Intel maintains a narrow lead in 1080p gaming, and the 9700K makes an argument for itself on those grounds, if you’re obsessed with squeezing out every last frame of performance — but if you were to look back at test results in 2005, you’d find that AMD didn’t win literally every single one of them back then, either.

We’d like to see if AMD can bring idle power on the Ryzen 7 family down at all, and the CPU’s relatively high single-thread power consumption is a little puzzling, but the Ryzen 7 3700X and 3900X’s execution efficiency is, in a word, excellent. AMD has more than delivered on the improvements that it promised.
https://www.extremetech.com/computin...ed-storm-ryzen

Linus Tech Tips is pointing out the AMD performance being slightly behind Intel in gaming could just come down to CPU scheduler issues since when he locked games to one core AMD actually performed consistently better. Once those issues are fixed the Ryzen 3000s will very likely outperformed Intel consistently, even in 1080p gaming.

Intel will have to cut prices deeply if they want to stay competitive while they figure out their node transition mess... which is unlikely to happen for another year or two by their own roadmaps. Oh wait they won't be able to do that because of their node transition problems and yield issues. They already have supply problems. All of this is not even accounting for Intel's massive security problems with speculative execution.

Hardware Unboxed reviews of the 3700X and 3900X

We've only been talking about high end parts for now. Early reviews are coming in of the mid range 3600 parts as well and there is absolutely zero reason to buy Intel at all in that price point, even for gaming.... AMD is 15% faster at only 66% of the price when compared to the i5-9600k.

Last edited by FlameOn; 07-09-2019 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-07-2019, 09:47 PM   #939
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a separate note AMD also released their Navi video cards today. The Radeon 5700XT and 5700 reviews are starting to trickle in and it seems we have a new mid range card price performance king. Gamers looking to buy the 2060 should probably steer towards the 5700 instead. Bleeding edge gamers should stick with Nvidia though.

Quote:
So how does AMD’s first example of RDNA stack up? For AMD and for consumers it’s much needed progress. To be sure, the Radeon RX 5700 series cards are not going to be Turing killers. But they are competitive in price, performance, and power consumption – the all-important trifecta that AMD has trailed NVIDIA at for too many years now.

By the numbers then, the Radeon RX 5700 XT holds an 11% performance advantage over its nearest competition, NVIDIA’s new GeForce RTX 2060 Super. Similarly, the RX 5700 (vanilla) takes a 12% advantage over the RTX 2060 (vanilla). So NVIDIA was right to shift their product stack last week in preparation for today’s AMD launch, as AMD is now delivering the performance of what was last week a $500 video card for as little as $350. That’s a major improvement in performance-per-dollar, to say the least.

Performance Summary
Spoiler!

And, thankfully, none of this breaks the bank on power consumption either. The RX 5700 fares slightly better than its opponent, while the highly-clocked RX 5700 XT is more power-hungry in securing its performance advantage over the RTX 2060 Super. Which, with the RX 5700 within spitting distance of the RTX 2070 Super in terms of gaming performance, it gives you a good idea of what the power cost was for that last 11%. For the moment then, while AMD hasn’t significantly shifted the power/performance curve versus Turing, they also have avoided the same kind of painful performance chase that delivered toasty cards like the RX Vega 64 and RX 590.

Ultimately, I don’t think there’s a bad buy here between the RX 5700 XT and the RTX 2060 Super it competes with; both are solid cards with some unique pros and cons, and either one should make most gamers happy. As for the vanilla showdown between the RX 5700 and RTX 2060, AMD’s hand is much stronger here (or rather, NVIDIA’s is weaker), which makes for an easy decision. The RX 5700 is faster, slightly less power hungry, and it features a full 8GB of VRAM. The RTX 2060 was always a risky buy with its mere 6GB of VRAM, and now with the RX 5700 there’s really no reason good enough to consider it, even with ray tracing.
Quote:
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14618...5700-review/16

3900X averaged benchmarks vs. Intels HEDT platform i9-9920X
Spoiler!

Last edited by FlameOn; 07-10-2019 at 09:31 AM.
Old 07-08-2019, 07:49 PM   #940
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Reviews are out:

Anandtech has found the MSI pre-release motherboard firmware they were using for their original review was slowing down the turbo clocks significantly during testing. They are re-running their entire test suite. Prelim results in shows about 300Mhz improvement in stock turbo clocks over the previous firmware as well as significant improvements in base to boost clock latency.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1148170909322293248
https://twitter.com/user/status/1148510894256787456

Last edited by FlameOn; 07-10-2019 at 08:22 AM.