Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-22-2019, 11:35 PM   #6061
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Sigh... I wish I still had the Datsun.

Anyway, it's fewer instances of stop and go for everyone and everyone gets to where they're going in the same amount of time, but if you just have to be two feet from the car in front of you, that's your hangup as far as I'm concerned.

But do you have any idea of the affect this is causing behind you when you leave such a massive gap? This behaviour is precisely why a whole swath of people canít get into a turn lane; because people think itís fine to leave huge gaps in front of them, completely oblivious to people behind them that, if everybody just even inched forward a little more, they would give enough room for Pepe to make it around them. Surely you have been in a situation where you missed an entire advanced green on a left-turn because the people in front wouldnít close up the gaps and there was not enough room to get into that completely empty turn lane. Itís frustrating, right? Now because you left 3 or 4 car lengths in front of you, the cars behind you are stuck and likely preventing people from getting around them.
Wormius is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 12:22 AM   #6062
8 Ball
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
But do you have any idea of the affect this is causing behind you when you leave such a massive gap? This behaviour is precisely why a whole swath of people canít get into a turn lane; because people think itís fine to leave huge gaps in front of them, completely oblivious to people behind them that, if everybody just even inched forward a little more, they would give enough room for Pepe to make it around them. Surely you have been in a situation where you missed an entire advanced green on a left-turn because the people in front wouldnít close up the gaps and there was not enough room to get into that completely empty turn lane. Itís frustrating, right? Now because you left 3 or 4 car lengths in front of you, the cars behind you are stuck and likely preventing people from getting around them.
Some people are just oblivious to whatís going on around them. I see it every day when I an turning right from 32 street onto 50 Ave SE in the industrial park. There will be one car/truck in the right hand lane with no one around them, and instead of taking the left hand lane and allowing us to turn right, they just keep on in the right lane. Struggling
8 Ball is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 8 Ball For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 07:23 AM   #6063
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8 Ball View Post
Some people are just oblivious to whatís going on around them.
Even when people arenít on their phones theyíre usually on autopilot and putting very little though into their driving.

Iíve admitted before that I can get aggressive when Iím in a hurry and caught behind strugglers. I need to change that but Iím still better than a lot of drivers because Iím vigilant behind the wheel. I get up to speed quickly, especially when merging, and close up the gap. I make room when Iím stopped by a turning lane so people donít miss an advance green. I have no problem changing lanes to let someone make a turn. I pull as close to the curb, as early as I can, when making a right turn so people behind me who are going straight donít have to slow down. I always signal far enough in advance that youíre never surprised by where Iím going... if youíre paying attention.

Iím in a tiny minority of drivers who do all of those things. I actually enjoy my daily drive for the most part because i love driving for a living. I could get off the road and sit in an office but I would miss it, except for dealing with strugglers. They need to die.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 08:40 AM   #6064
Canadianman
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Nothing makes me feel well-adjusted like coming to this thread to read the latest whinings.
Canadianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 09:00 AM   #6065
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
But if the only thing that matters is when YOU get through the intersection, off the plane etc. then it doesn't really matter.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 10:30 AM   #6066
Jimmy Stang
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
Even when people aren’t on their phones they’re usually on autopilot and putting very little though into their driving.

I’ve admitted before that I can get aggressive when I’m in a hurry and caught behind strugglers. I need to change that but I’m still better than a lot of drivers because I’m vigilant behind the wheel. I get up to speed quickly, especially when merging, and close up the gap. I make room when I’m stopped by a turning lane so people don’t miss an advance green. I have no problem changing lanes to let someone make a turn. I pull as close to the curb, as early as I can, when making a right turn so people behind me who are going straight don’t have to slow down. I always signal far enough in advance that you’re never surprised by where I’m going... if you’re paying attention.

I’m in a tiny minority of drivers who do all of those things. I actually enjoy my daily drive for the most part because i love driving for a living. I could get off the road and sit in an office but I would miss it, except for dealing with strugglers. They need to die.
Well done, sir. I also try and do all of those little things like you mentioned. I love it when I encounter someone like yourself who "gets it", and I'll even give a little wave to acknowledge your non-strugglerness as I get around you into that turning lane that you made possible by simply being aware of what's going on around you.

I often shake my head at the excessive space (I'm talking multiple car lengths here) left between vehicles stopped at intersections. If everyone just left a reasonable amount of space instead of miles, and put their foot on the gas when the light turned green (instead of letting their 2 car lengths become 5 car lengths before actually moving), I bet that we could reduce the amount of time spent at traffic lights by half in this city. More cars could reach the turning lanes, more cars could get through the lights, etc.

And I don't say this because I'm impatient or because my time is more important than anyone else. I just see myself as a cog in a larger machine as opposed to being in a bubble, and if I can do little things to make it easier for everyone, I will.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 10:47 AM   #6067
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

On a high speed road like JLB, I'll leave a car and a half or so when I first stop, so if I get rear ended I'm less likely to go into the car in front. Once a few cars are behind me I'll pull up to less than half a car length. I hate getting stuck unable to enter a turn lane, so I'm always trying to make room if I can for others.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:36 AM   #6068
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
On a high speed road like JLB, I'll leave a car and a half or so when I first stop, so if I get rear ended I'm less likely to go into the car in front. Once a few cars are behind me I'll pull up to less than half a car length. I hate getting stuck unable to enter a turn lane, so I'm always trying to make room if I can for others.
But what about that summer black ice? There must be some of that.

Yesterday on Macleod at every light all the way south at least one person in 1/3 lanes stopped short. So short you could parallel park a semi trailer in that gap, and they're the second car, with 15 stopped behind them.

Sometimes I get the urge to make a full lane change into that gap while we're all stopped. The reactions would be hilarious.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:47 AM   #6069
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
It's less about being impatient and more about the discomfort of someone not following a cultural script. It's unsettling. I mean, I guess that's great you're having fun doing sociological experiments on the people in line just trying to get through airport security, but you could also not be a tit and it would give everyone a better experience.
Quote:
..thatís how people get stabbed.
Thank you. Sociological experiment complete...even on a message board a diversion from social norm which has zero impact (time wise) on the people being experimented on causes discontent. Fascinating. I can now move with the line in an expedient fashion to avoid being a tit who is stabbed.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 01:07 PM   #6070
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there’s a difference between a 20 person line through airport security where everyone can see the finish line and occasionally leaving some space between you and the person in front of you. If the line wraps around the corner and you’re just trying to annoy people, knowing full well that if everyone did what you’re doing the line would stretch out the door and into the parking lot, well then you’re being a bit of a tit.

In the first scenario if you’re getting uptight about the spaces in front of you then it might be time to chill. But if you’re the one hanging back, you sure better have your #### together when it’s your turn.
Old 05-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #6071
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leeman4Gilmour View Post
Thank you. Sociological experiment complete...even on a message board a diversion from social norm which has zero impact (time wise) on the people being experimented on causes discontent. Fascinating. I can now move with the line in an expedient fashion to avoid being a tit who is stabbed.
Lookout gang, the puppetmaster is manipulating social discourse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 03:46 PM   #6072
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

A major gear grinder of mine is when people send read receipts on their emails. Especially sales people.

But, do others feel the same or am I on an island here?
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 03:51 PM   #6073
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
A major gear grinder of mine is when people send read receipts on their emails. Especially sales people.

If limited to select important emails then I think it’s okay. I use it when emailing with regulators as a documentation tool.

If it’s every email then No
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2019, 04:09 PM   #6074
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I am 100% with you. Yes if there is perhaps a legal reason, or something where you need to retain evidence of some sort. But in the ordinary course of business? Awful. You can set up your inbox to alert you this, and you can block it from sending. Which is satisfying as hell.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:18 PM   #6075
chedder
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:

Even worse on texts. On a specific group chat with friends on iphones, I always get a "send read receipt" (i have a samsung). They all deny that they have read receipts turned on and blame my phone for it. And, no, I don't have them turned on.
chedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2019, 11:23 PM   #6076
81MC
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Someone said no more than a car length <50km/h. I tried to ignore it, but that is really, really bad advice. Thatís how you run over a motorcyclist whose stalled, rear end someone who had to stop short because of an obstruction, get caught behind some last minute signaller cause you donít have enough space to safely go around, and create the literal stop-and-go traffic.
Donít leave multiple car lengths before you start moving, but Iíd you are only leaving one car length at slow speeds, youíre being a hazard.
The Following User Says Thank You to 81MC For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2019, 02:17 AM   #6077
Barnet Flame
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default You Know What Really Grinds My Gears? Now with more gears...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
The mc81 is interesting because I didn't even think of it

8=H 1=A

Cool
Iím an idiot

Last edited by Barnet Flame; 05-24-2019 at 02:25 AM.
Barnet Flame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 07:39 AM   #6078
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
Someone said no more than a car length <50km/h. I tried to ignore it, but that is really, really bad advice. Thatís how you run over a motorcyclist whose stalled, rear end someone who had to stop short because of an obstruction, get caught behind some last minute signaller cause you donít have enough space to safely go around, and create the literal stop-and-go traffic.
Donít leave multiple car lengths before you start moving, but Iíd you are only leaving one car length at slow speeds, youíre being a hazard.
Maybe itís like... a BIG car length.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2019, 08:05 AM   #6079
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81MC View Post
I was taught at least two seconds. You need enough space that you can count two seconds as an object passes the back of the car in front of you and reaches the front of your car.
Old 05-24-2019, 08:09 AM   #6080
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I was taught 4 seconds with work and my feeling of safety while driving is almost totally night and day
stone hands is online now   Reply With Quote