Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2018, 11:06 PM   #561
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotic View Post
Shaw has some Cyber Monday deals going on till the end of the month.
$60 for 150
$78 for 300
for 2 year contracts for new customers. However, I'm currently under 150 no contract, and was able to get the rates when i threatened to leave.
Thanks for this.

Is it 2 full years at that price or two separate promos, one only being one year? That's how mine was structured.

It makes me want to call in but for $14 savings a month and the hassle it doesn't seem worth it. Plus based on my last experience I actually have to be willing to leave.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 09:00 AM   #562
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

2 full years at that price. And then in 2 years just make the same call and ask for a new deal. Timing will be good as it will be Cyber Monday 2020.

I dreaded the call because it’s dificult dealing with customer service but I was shocked at how friendly they were and easy to do. First guy said that with existing customers could only get $82 a month. I said then cancel my contract at the end of the billing month. He then put me on hold for another department customer retention’s I believe. And the new guy gave the promo price that’s only for new customers.
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Robotic For This Useful Post:
Old 11-28-2018, 08:06 PM   #563
Robotic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I picked up my new modem from the Shaw store in Chinook today and the guy said that there’s something really exciting happening in 2 days. But wouldn’t say what it is. Only that it’s going to be exciting. Any idea what’s happening?
Robotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:29 AM   #564
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Saw they had a promo for free nextflix if you sign up for a 2 year value plan. Apparently the 2 year value plan I got doesn't apply since I went through the loyalty department and have a discount on there.

Boo.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 08:40 AM   #565
Shazam
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I picked up my new modem from the Shaw store in Chinook today and the guy said that there’s something really exciting happening in 2 days. But wouldn’t say what it is. Only that it’s going to be exciting. Any idea what’s happening?
600Mbps coming.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:17 AM   #566
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:

https://newsroom.shaw.ca/materialDet...lID=6442452175
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 09:26 AM   #567
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Free upgrade to 600 is pretty awesome
Old 11-29-2018, 10:35 AM   #568
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Currently on hold with Shaw, waiting for retentions. No luck over chat to get that $60 price for 2 years. I wonder if they keep track of how many times I have called in and threatened to cancel, or if this song and dance is just the norm these days.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 10:40 AM   #569
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Currently on hold with Shaw, waiting for retentions. No luck over chat to get that $60 price for 2 years. I wonder if they keep track of how many times I have called in and threatened to cancel, or if this song and dance is just the norm these days.
I got internet 150 and medium tv for $102 over 2 years.

Just tell them telus has a promo right now with $200 credit, pick 6 tv and internet 150 for $90/6 months and $120 after that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 10:56 AM   #570
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

And in the most ironic twist, Shaw's internet dropped for a couple of minutes and I lost my call (using my VOIP phone that connects to my office) just as I was making progress. Back on hold I go...

But now I see Hockeyguy15's Telus promo, so maybe a blessing in disguise?
Old 11-29-2018, 11:11 AM   #571
Royle9
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Can confirm they keep track of this.
Last time I called I got immediately transferred to a supervisor, apparently my calls to complain about dropped internet constantly for hours on end numerous times a month where all flagged on some sort of "black list" shame on me for getting upset when they tell me "its on my end and I should try restarting the modem..."

Further to that I was told they can see I recently complained about pricing and as a result got a reduction from retention's ___ months ago.

Who gives a #### though, if they want to continue earning your dough they'll reduce the price.
Royle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Royle9 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 12:06 PM   #572
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

They keep track of all calls, regardless of the nature of the call. When you get transferred to retentions the first customer service agent chats with retentions to explain the situation and figure out if you're serious about cancelling/how to keep you as a customer
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary14 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #573
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I'd chalk that up as a success. Background:

- Shaw customer since 2002
- Over the years hinted/suggested/threatened to switch only a handful of times
- I have internet 150, small TV, and home phone (wife and alarm are old school and require it, but it works out to $10/month)
- My bill is currently about $155 after GST ($147 pre-GST). I occasionally can get it down to about $135 through a combination of inquiring, talking about leaving, cutting services), but it creeps back up.
- No contract. Not opposed to one, but only if the price was right as I would lose any leverage.

First lady I spoke with seemed good and was looking into prices and what she could do, and I felt that I'd get somewhere. Then (as mentioned above) internet went down. Called back, waited, and eventuality got a super nice guy named Tom. He asked some questions about out services while assuring me that he wasn't a a sales guy - just wanted to make sure we had what we needed. I told him that 150 is plenty fast, and even more so when it gets automatically upgraded to 300. He laughed and asked "you know about that already?" as he didn't think that the press release went out yet. Thanks CP.

So he did some crunching and I was expecting that he's get me down to $120 or $130. At which point I was going to bust out the Telus deal that Hockeyguy15 had posted about (here's a direct link, by the way). He kept saying how great it was that I was a customer for so long, etc. etc. Then he came back with $97 plus GST for the exact same services that I have. So that's precisely $50 lower per month (before GST) and on par with what Telus was offering. And without the hassle of switching. The only thing that I gave up was that I got a 2-year "value plan" as they say, and although I was previously not keen on contracts, the price is definitely right. I had a contract on Internet 150 when it first launched, but Internet was the only service I was guaranteed to keep. And let's be honest, after 16 years with Shaw, all I wanted was the same sort of deals that the new customers get, instead of a small promo here and there, but the bill still creeps up. And I think that I got that today, and in two years I can see where I'm at with everything.

So thanks to all that participate in this thread, and especially the recent discussion about the current promo. I'd have settled for less of a cut, so I'm really pleased with the outcome. Thanks!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jimmy Stang For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 01:31 PM   #574
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've had nothing but good experiences when I've called and looked for a deal.

Every time I am honest and say I don't want the hassle of moving but that without some sort of promo pricing it doesn't make sense for me to stay. I've never had to threaten or be rude, generally the people I get understand and accomodate me. Maybe I leave more on the table by not pushing the issue more but oh well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockeyguy15 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #575
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I've had nothing but good experiences when I've called and looked for a deal.

Every time I am honest and say I don't want the hassle of moving but that without some sort of promo pricing it doesn't make sense for me to stay. I've never had to threaten or be rude, generally the people I get understand and accomodate me. Maybe I leave more on the table by not pushing the issue more but oh well.
That's the thing. I actually like Shaw. Some people have their reasons for disliking a particular company, and that's fair, but they've always been pretty good to me. I'm also pretty friendly, and sometimes I wonder if I'd get more in return if my wheel squeaked a little more, but I'm happy with the outcome today. It was all pretty satisfying.

EXCEPT for the fact that my IP address changed. I know that I don't get a static, but you can usually keep it for a few years if you just leave it be. But all of my services went down and they had to do some resetting in the background, so I lost my good old IP that I use to VPN back to my house. And I think that my modem went back into non-bridged mode.

Even so, I know that they'll get me sorted out in a few minutes here, and re-configuring my VPN configs a wee bit is very much a minor issue to save $600/year.

Edit: After they re-bridged me, my IP address changed again - but back to my original one! Praise be! My DHCP lease must have remained intact, so that saves me tinkering with my VPN configs on all of my devices.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 11-29-2018 at 02:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2018, 01:51 PM   #576
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wonder if that was a byproduct of everyone getting switched from 150 to 300?
Old 11-29-2018, 09:20 PM   #577
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
I wonder if that was a byproduct of everyone getting switched from 150 to 300?
Whatsthisnow?

And how would you know if your router switched out of bridge mode. Look for the SSID?

Last edited by Barnes; 11-29-2018 at 09:22 PM.
Barnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 11:30 PM   #578
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Whatsthisnow?

And how would you know if your router switched out of bridge mode. Look for the SSID?

Yes - the SSIDs appearing is one sign. Prior to noticing those, however, my router warning me about a “double NAT” situation when enabling the VPN server.

I’m pretty sure that my un-bridging was due to a few resets that Shaw had to do to get me back online after some account changes.
Old 11-30-2018, 01:59 AM   #579
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone get a random letter from Shaw in the mail? I had to cancel with them recently due to a move, and anything sent to my old address should have been caught by Canada Post mail forwarding. But my old landlord left me a voicemail saying a letter from Shaw showed up. My final bill is paid in full. So I'm thinking I got some random letter at the old address announcing the dl speed enhancement, or some other marketing.

I'll call back the landlord tomorrow to find out for sure.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 01:08 PM   #580
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaws retention is hit or miss. I've called for my Dad on his account for 3 or 4 years now. Sometimes you get people who are great, and other times you get a really bad rep who won't even leave notes. It's super hit and miss.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote