Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #461
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
My Slingbox is on the fritz again (the end may be near, I fear), so I am looking at my options for watching Flames games when not at home. I am curious about your experiences for those that do this.

Are there any blackouts or restrictions for Flames games on the Shaw Freerange TV service (both in-browser and on iOS)? Or will I have to use the Sportsnet app/site? If so, are the games on the Sportsnet Flames companion channel (302 for me) also viewable via Freerange and/or Sportsnet apps?

Finally, what sort of geoblocking is done, and is it done at the IP address level, or via the device's GPS? If I'm travelling out of region, I can easily send my traffic through my home VPN, but if it uses the GPS, that throws a wrench into it.

TLDR: Can I watch all games legally, one way or another, when not at home? And what are your tips and frustrations watching the Flames this way?
It works anywhere in Canada, does not in the USA. It uses a ton of data so make sure you are on WiFi. I don't think it is smart enough to know if you are in Toronto or Calgary but haven't tested that.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #462
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
It works anywhere in Canada, does not in the USA. It uses a ton of data so make sure you are on WiFi. I don't think it is smart enough to know if you are in Toronto or Calgary but haven't tested that.
Thank you. So basically all games are available on FreeRange, whether they be on Sportsnet West, One, 360, or Flames?
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:01 PM   #463
chedder
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Thank you. So basically all games are available on FreeRange, whether they be on Sportsnet West, One, 360, or Flames?
I don't think you get the Sportsnet Flames games on free-range.
chedder is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chedder For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 03:02 PM   #464
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chedder View Post
I don't think you get the Sportsnet Flames games on free-range.
You can get them on Free Range but not the Sportsnet app
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2018, 03:05 PM   #465
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

If the game is on a channel you subscribe to there is no blackouts. I have free range and haven’t noticed the games broadcast on the temp channels (sportsnet one ) but it’s mostly because I have never tried so I can’t answer that.

I have used Shaw free range in Toronto and not had an issue. It links the the device not to the location at least that has been the case for me.

I have no issues with it, between it and the free gamecenter rogers gives me I have only missed 2 games (sportsnet 360 games).
Old 01-24-2018, 03:13 PM   #466
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks everyone - I'll be giving it a whirl starting tonight anyway, but I am reassured that I won't come across any critical issues.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 03:26 PM   #467
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah FreeRange is great for that. I have GameCentre, which always gets blacked out if I'm in Calgary (but is useful when I'm on a business trip elsewhere), but FreeRange always works in the city.

Super useful like on Monday, when my wife was watching the (urgh) Bachelor, and I wanted to work out. Propped up the ol' tablet and watched on the FreeRange app.

That said, FreeRange only runs at 30 fps, while GameCentre runs at 60 fps. GameCentre's live broadcast is way smoother, but when in a pinch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 10:50 AM   #468
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

My contract is up so naturally my bill has started to creep every month so I'm going to call Shaw... was thinking of switching from the Gateway system to Bluesky.

Is there an app for Bluesky similar to the Gateway app where you can setup a show to record remotely?

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d....shawgogateway
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 12:06 PM   #469
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Yeller View Post

Is there an app for Bluesky similar to the Gateway app where you can setup a show to record remotely?
No, sadly there is not. It's one of the many reasons I dislike bluesky. The voice search function is kind of neat but the system as a whole is garbage. I have to re-boot mine almost monthly. For a system that has been out for as long is it has, it's polish is very poor. Do not recommend.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 08:44 PM   #470
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just for some balance... I've had bluesky for nearly a year and had to reboot once. It works flawlessly for me. /shrug
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 08:49 PM   #471
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Shaw has a new Internet 300 plan.

https://www.shaw.ca/internet/highspeed-300-2yvp/
DownInFlames is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2018, 11:35 PM   #472
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

300 down and 20 up, that's pretty nice for an extra $10 a month
Old 07-11-2018, 09:16 AM   #473
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

At what point are you just handing Shaw another $10 per month for nothing though? Other than torrents, under what circumstance would a household ever get close to hitting 300 down? Maybe in a few years as 4K content becomes the standard?
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psicodude For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 09:27 AM   #474
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Internet 300 seems rather masturbatory to me. Especially when your upload is 20.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 09:46 AM   #475
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I've been getting less than 10 download in the evenings the last few weeks, and I have Shaw 150. Maybe if I upgrade to 300 they can keep me at around 20. It's great to get less than 10% of what you're paying for.

Shaw is just lucky that I swore I'd take a bullet before I'd ever deal with Telus again.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #476
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Out 403 View Post
Internet 300 seems rather masturbatory to me. Especially when your upload is 20.
Exactly. I think we are at the point where the upload speed is going to be the deciding factor. I use my full 150 down pretty frequently (game updates and such) but uploading content to cloud storage is painfully slow.

and lol at maturbatory, that's goin into the vocabulary.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoinAllTheWay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 10:04 AM   #477
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Exactly. I think we are at the point where the upload speed is going to be the deciding factor. I use my full 150 down pretty frequently (game updates and such) but uploading content to cloud storage is painfully slow.

and lol at maturbatory, that's goin into the vocabulary.
If you have TELUS fibre available to you, I'd rather pay 80 bucks for the 75/75 than 120 for the 300/20. Upload is huge nowadays.
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to White Out 403 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2018, 10:51 AM   #478
Bend it like Bourgeois
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikephoen View Post
I've been getting less than 10 download in the evenings the last few weeks, and I have Shaw 150. Maybe if I upgrade to 300 they can keep me at around 20. It's great to get less than 10% of what you're paying for.

Shaw is just lucky that I swore I'd take a bullet before I'd ever deal with Telus again.

I had steadily degrading speeds for a while but it was less painful than the thought of calling in. I discovered you can use support chat on the app which for me is better. Dude cycled through a bunch of stuff and after about 20 mins they had me back up to 150. They also sent a tech who replaced some of the old coax connectors at the wall and in the basement. Basically replacing stuff that was worn and dated. Dunno if it mattered, but he seemed to think it was useful.
Bend it like Bourgeois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:07 AM   #479
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Just called Shaw as my Internet 150 promo is almost up, and got an offer of $129 for basic cable but including sports channels for $129 for 2 years- I have been with Shaw for since 97 and use my Shaw.ca Email address as well as the Shaw open Wifi lots (and I have 2 PVRs)

Makes it tough to change to a lower cost provider, as their TV offerings are not nearly as good even with cheaper equal quality internet. Will do a little more research in the next few weeks
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 12:16 PM   #480
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
Just called Shaw as my Internet 150 promo is almost up, and got an offer of $129 for basic cable but including sports channels for $129 for 2 years- I have been with Shaw for since 97 and use my Shaw.ca Email address as well as the Shaw open Wifi lots (and I have 2 PVRs)

Makes it tough to change to a lower cost provider, as their TV offerings are not nearly as good even with cheaper equal quality internet. Will do a little more research in the next few weeks
$129 with internet or is that just TV?