Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-23-2021, 10:31 AM   #521
Owen15
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Laine will be a big trade chip for Columbus at some point... I think Laine could be happy in Calgary and we do need a right winger. I can dream
This is what I was thinking. This trade buys CBJ some time to get the deal that actually helps them. The longer the PLD fiasco went on the bigger the distraction on the current team and the less likely it would be they could extract max value.
Owen15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:32 AM   #522
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
What was the return in the Hall trade last season? I think that would be the framework.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk
More, he’s still a young RFA not a UFA.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:33 AM   #523
Major Major
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
Maybe Tortorella can push the right buttons. You never know with these things. I feel players have a respect for Tortorella after awhile, unlike say Babcock for example.
I think his ongoing conflict with star players can bring the team closer in a weird way. They know that everyone will have the same expectations. I bet his move to bench PLD and effectively force a trade before their next game was hugely popular in the room and will bring the team together. I'm expecting a big year for the Blue Jackets and Laine.

As for the PLD outlook, he fits as a #2 centre right now. No idea who he'll get to play with. Ehlers maybe? Could be a pretty decent situation for him as well. Their centre depth is pretty great but the jury is out if they can overcome their poor defence.
Major Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:34 AM   #524
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genetic_phreek View Post
No matter who won this trade, the team that lost the trade is Calgary. We had an opportunity to get a young game breaking center. The type of player with speed and strength that really succeeded with Panarin and I think would have exploded with Johnny. Columbus needed a C and still ended going with a winger. I don't know what Tre offered but he really missed it on this.
Sorry, but this is a really bad take.

Yes, Dubois is a really good young C. But it's not JUST about acquiring assets, you have to PAY to get. And how much you pay matters. The Flames might well be the best team in the Cdn division this year, they can't just tear the team apart in order to acquire a player.

People keep mentioning that Bennett would be a comparable for Roslovic, for example. Which is true. However, Roslovic isn't signed, and doesn't cost the Jets anything to move. However, 'throwing in Bennett' would be a huge blow to our bottom 6.

Monahan + Bennett would have made the team worse this year. Does it improve the team long term? That's a different conversation. But when you have a legit chance to go deep in the playoffs, you can't just rip your team up in hopes that it helps down the road.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:36 AM   #525
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Overpayment.

Hope PLD phones it in for Winnipeg too.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #526
Burning Beard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Yes, Dubois is a really good young C. But it's not JUST about acquiring assets, you have to PAY to get. And how much you pay matters. The Flames might well be the best team in the Cdn division this year, they can't just tear the team apart in order to acquire a player.

People keep mentioning that Bennett would be a comparable for Roslovic, for example. Which is true. However, Roslovic isn't signed, and doesn't cost the Jets anything to move. However, 'throwing in Bennett' would be a huge blow to our bottom 6.

Monahan + Bennett would have made the team worse this year. Does it improve the team long term? That's a different conversation. But when you have a legit chance to go deep in the playoffs, you can't just rip your team up in hopes that it helps down the road.
100% this!
Burning Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:37 AM   #527
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

I doubt the Jackets will move Laine anytime soon. They traded one corner stone piece for another one.
Their in for the long haul with him.
The fit between Torts and Laine will be interesting, but if it happens again with Laine, I don't know that it plays out in Torts' favor this time.
Or Laine could thrive under him.
Either way I don't see him being available at the deadline.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:38 AM   #528
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It will be interesting to see how the two teams do in the long-term. I can't help but think that Kekalainen is going to have another headache with Laine down the road, but at the end of the day, he traded a 'soon to be elite' centre for an already elite winger + depth centre. That's not bad. Texier HAS to work out as a centre for them. That team is very solid along the wings now, but fairly weak down the middle.

Winnipeg I thought did really well here. Maybe it was a bit of an over-payment, maybe not. 1st line centres that are just coming into their prime are a very rare commodity (so is anyone that can score 40+ goals, however!). Centres are so important because they are often the most effective play-drivers on the ice. Now Winnipeg has 2 1st line centres. You can count the number of NHL teams that have a comparable or better 1-2 punch down the middle on one hand. Pittsburgh, Edmonton... Toronto I guess if they ever separate Matthews and Tavares.

I do think that Winnipeg got a bit better today. For as good as Laine was when he was 'on', he is completely useless and invisible when he is not on (which you often see more of). I can see Torts pulling out his hair trying to manage Laine, and if he doesn't do a good job, I expect Torts to be canned eventually. I would say that his welcome is probably wearing quite thin as it is for the type of coach that he is, and getting this high profile, 'generational goalscorer' like Laine is going to make his job harder.

Jets will be more difficult to play and match-up against from now on, but that doesn't guarantee them anything. Oilers have a better combo, but they are still in the wasteland (though the Jets - even with their weak D - are still miles better than the Oilers in every other area on the ice), Pittsburgh hasn't won that many cups while having 2 of the top 3-5 centres in the NHL during their prime, and were a decently built team to boot.

I would be happy as a Jets fan. I would think that my team got a superstar (in the making) back and there will be less distractions from now on. I would be cautiously optimistic as a Columbus fan, thinking "I wonder what will happen with his contract negotiations??".

I think both teams did well here under their circumstances. I do think that Dubois is going to explode and become a PPG centre in the NHL that is very difficult to play against.

However, I still like Calgary's chances here and don't think that Calgary is going to suddenly start losing to Winnipeg. They are the better team still. Monahan - Lindholm - Backlund - Ryan (plus other players capable of playing centre), is a VERY strong group. Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Mangiapane, Dube, Bennett, Leivo - that's a pretty damn good base of wingers too. Calgary also has a really good defence corps, plus one of the best goalies in the NHL. I think Calgary will be fine. Some tough choices in the next couple of years. It isn't such a big 'loss' to keep Monahan - he continues to be underrated and underappreciated by people, but he is a bona fide #1 C on a team with really strong centre depth. Not upset at the slightest by not acquiring Dubois today.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #529
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think this trade is that bad for Winnipeg. Given the players contract status, I'd probably take PLD over Laine.

I just feel like neither of these players will be with their new teams long-term though.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:39 AM   #530
timbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

The most difficult asset to acquire in the draft, a trade , or in free agency ....is a pure goal scorer.

Laine is that.

Monahan to a lesser extent.
timbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to timbit For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #531
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Beard View Post
100% this!

Yeah, no malcontents on the Flames. I think Gio as captain has a big influence in the dressing room. The Flames ran Hamilton and Neal out of town. Dubois would probably be the same.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:41 AM   #532
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Columbus also has Grigorenko who was playing wing on PLDs line. They can move him to C as well. Their C depth isn't great but it isn't bad either.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:42 AM   #533
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CsInMyBlood View Post
Hmmm, I remember him getting a hat trick vs the Flames.
In his second ever game v. the Flames back in April 2018. Since then he has scored a single assist v. Calgary.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project

Last edited by Textcritic; 01-23-2021 at 10:59 AM.
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:43 AM   #534
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another factor from Calgary's perspective: the PP

The Flames finally have a PP that works. They have a good group of players, who know each other and what they are trying to do, and they have some really good plays that they are starting to execute.

You take Monahan out of that, and insert PLD, and you are back to square one (at least for a while, likely the rest of this season for sure).

The Flames have an elite goalie, a PP that is really rounding into form, a deep and strong D core, and depth up front - especially with the move of Lindholm to C. They are arguably the best team in the division.

Paying anything to 'win' the Dubois sweepstakes would have been asinine.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:46 AM   #535
Scorch
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lol “American Winnipeg”

Living in Columbus >>>>> living in Winnipeg

Laine came out of this a free man
Scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:47 AM   #536
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post

I do think that Winnipeg got a bit better today.

Jets will be more difficult to play and match-up against from now on, but that doesn't guarantee them anything.
I agree that the Jets got better (long term). Having Schiefele - PLD down the middle is huge. And Schiefele will make PLD a better player.

However, Laine was a game breaker. And Wheeler's days as a game breaker are behind him. I think they will struggle offensively this year, even though I think it is a good move for them long term.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:51 AM   #537
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorch View Post
Lol “American Winnipeg”

Living in Columbus >>>>> living in Winnipeg

Laine came out of this a free man
The reference is more about Ohio, and it's place in the Union. And I think it is fairly accurate: rust belt, not much happening, blue collar union town. I think Cleveland is a better comparison, but I get it.

The comparison is about their status, relative to the rest of the country.

Having said that, yeah, Columbus is WAY nicer. No comparison between the cities at all.
Old 01-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #538
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
https://theathletic.com/1831742/2020...-off-the-rust/

Here, read this Athletic article. Would you like me to link to the Gaudreau feature that showed him roller blading and him preparing in the gym during the same time?
I remember a story on Theo working out rollerblading offseason. It was fluff and as we all know, Theo wasn’t exactly diligent on keeping his body a temple.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2021, 10:53 AM   #539
MikeMc
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbit View Post
The most difficult asset to acquire in the draft, a trade , or in free agency ....is a pure goal scorer.

Laine is that.

Monahan to a lesser extent.
Isn't the most difficult asset to acquire a first line center?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk
MikeMc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeMc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2021, 10:57 AM   #540
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

i don't know Laine and Roslovic and Jets retain salary for PLD and a 3rd?

Seems like Jets lost that trade imo

Last edited by oldschoolcalgary; 01-23-2021 at 11:04 AM.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote