Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2020, 01:31 PM   #4861
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Okay, meanwhile all of Canada and god knows where else think Albertans are a bunch of trashy morons. All so we can call out a company with probably like 10 employees. Yay us?
Truth be told, Alberta is full of trashy morons.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #4862
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Calling these out is exactly what we should be doing. How else would you be able to pressure them into realizing this is terrible behavior?

I'm glad this made it in the news nationally and other companies in AB are calling it out.

This is how we change for the better. Not by ignoring it and hoping it will go away...
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:05 PM   #4863
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
The industry and public needs to call out all these idiots. If you have friends or family who do this stuff, call them out too.
"Calling out" these idiots is the outrage version of "raising awareness," except worse because at least raising awareness does nothing. Calling out this company embarrassed like two guys (that probably got an encouraging message of support for every complaint they received), but it cast our industry in a negative light and reinforced stereotypes that hurt us all. Calling them out had the exact opposite effect you'd want if your goal was to see Alberta energy succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
It's fine if you want to privately think these things but I honestly think you need to act like you're representing your employer, industry, family, friends, etc. every time you say or do something publicly. You can't hide behind "opinions are my own and not my employers" when you say things on social media. Everyone in your organization is your marketing department these days and if you have a person making a fool of themselves and letting people know they work for you (LinkedIn), you need to sit them down and let me know it's not tolerated and could cost them their jobs. It sounds harsh but it's the reality we live in now.

This made the news a few years ago so Alberta already has a reputation for stupidity. It sucks, but it's everyone in the industry's job to help change the perception.

NSFW!
I think social media users need to know when to STFU these days, too. It's part of using these platforms responsibly. If you see something you don't like, there is nothing stopping you from shaking your head and moving on with your day. You don't have to post it, especially when posting it will have the opposite effect of your intended outcome.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:07 PM   #4864
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
serious question for thsoe of you working in the industry - do you really expect this sticker to have a huge impact on x-site's business?
There's a good chance it could. I cannot imagine an E&P company that would want to be associated with or caught doing business with them now.
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:11 PM   #4865
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubicon View Post
There's a good chance it could. I cannot imagine an E&P company that would want to be associated with or caught doing business with them now.
There is probably a 0% chance there won't be a rebrand by the end of breakup.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 02:17 PM   #4866
stone hands
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
"Calling out" these idiots is the outrage version of "raising awareness," except worse because at least raising awareness does nothing. Calling out this company embarrassed like two guys (that probably got an encouraging message of support for every complaint they received), but it cast our industry in a negative light and reinforced stereotypes that hurt us all. Calling them out had the exact opposite effect you'd want if your goal was to see Alberta energy succeed.

I think social media users need to know when to STFU these days, too. It's part of using these platforms responsibly. If you see something you don't like, there is nothing stopping you from shaking your head and moving on with your day. You don't have to post it, especially when posting it will have the opposite effect of your intended outcome.
no, calling these people out as albertans who aren't peice of garbage rednecks is exactly what needs to be done instead of sweeping it under the rug like some kind of racist uncle you never want to be in public with
stone hands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:22 PM   #4867
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone hands View Post
no, calling these people out as albertans who aren't peice of garbage rednecks is exactly what needs to be done instead of sweeping it under the rug like some kind of racist uncle you never want to be in public with
You guys really have to reconsider your stance on "calling out." I don't think it's the punishment you think it is.

By calling them out, we greatly amplified a very negative message that reflects on us all. The message people are left with after stuff like this isn't: boy those Albertans sure are awesome holding one of their own to account. It's: those Albertans are fataing pigs and Alberta oil and gas is a blight on the country.

We took a molehill and made a mountain.

It's like Mad Cow disease. Klein was right...shoot, shovel and shut up was the way to handle that. Not kneecap out industry and cost ourselves billions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 02:23 PM   #4868
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

How do you raise awareness for something that should be common sense? Let’s have a special day devoted to talking about how depicting teen environmental activists being raped is wrong? If you didn’t already know that... what else is there?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 02:36 PM   #4869
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
How do you raise awareness for something that should be common sense? Let’s have a special day devoted to talking about how depicting teen environmental activists being raped is wrong? If you didn’t already know that... what else is there?
Totally. Making a big deal out of this is weird. At the end of the day, you are going to have dumb people, with dumb beliefs, doing dumb things. That's what this is. No amount of "calling out" will prevent the next dumb guy, with dumb beliefs, from doing a dumb thing. Calling out will, however, give the industry yet another black eye and hurt all of us.

I can promise you, if Miss. Facebook hadn't posted this, not a single person outside of a minuscule little circle where this company operates would have ever known to be outraged at this. That would have been better for an entire industry and the province and country that relies on its success.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:10 PM   #4870
comrade
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Totally. Making a big deal out of this is weird. At the end of the day, you are going to have dumb people, with dumb beliefs, doing dumb things. That's what this is. No amount of "calling out" will prevent the next dumb guy, with dumb beliefs, from doing a dumb thing. Calling out will, however, give the industry yet another black eye and hurt all of us.

I can promise you, if Miss. Facebook hadn't posted this, not a single person outside of a minuscule little circle where this company operates would have ever known to be outraged at this. That would have been better for an entire industry and the province and country that relies on its success.
Isn't this basically the same argument the Catholic Church uses to cover up pedophilia amongst it's clergy?

Good on the woman who stood up for her morals. It's pretty shocking that you're so ready to go to the mat to protect a depiction of the rape of a minor. The fact that this has occurred in the struggling energy industry is immaterial.
comrade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to comrade For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 03:12 PM   #4871
Rando
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post
Ever outside of the Vancouver area in BC or rural Quebec? The trash is on another level. Espeically Quebec.
Rando is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rando For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 03:17 PM   #4872
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronMaiden View Post

Ontario is full of trashy morons, BC is full of trashy morons, Manitoba is full of trashy morons, every province is full of trashy morons, this whole country is full of trashy morons.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2020, 03:26 PM   #4873
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade View Post
Isn't this basically the same argument the Catholic Church uses to cover up pedophilia amongst it's clergy?

Good on the woman who stood up for her morals. It's pretty shocking that you're so ready to go to the mat to protect a depiction of the rape of a minor. The fact that this has occurred in the struggling energy industry is immaterial.
I'm not protecting a depiction of a rape of a minor. That's ridiculous. I'm advocating limiting the spread of it and its message as a way of neutering its bite. Amplifying its message is the exact wrong thing to do.

There are ways to stand up for your morals and condemn this cartoon that don't involve taking a shotgun to an entire industry and the people employed by it. There is way too much collateral damage in this lady's approach to have made it a worthwhile endeavor. And it was predictable, which makes her either a saboteur, a moron, or both.

I have to concede your point that the fact that this occurred in the struggling energy industry is immaterial. It ups my anger somewhat, but this scorched-earth social media policy some people have would be just as infuriating regardless of the industry.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:31 PM   #4874
Muta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Except, what was the purpose of that sticker? For public use on mudflaps, truck windows, whatever?

If so, and the company knew these would be seen by the general public, all it takes is one disgusted citizen to bring to attention the immoralities of said company. And if they do, the company deserves it.

Furthermore, if something is public or is released to the public, how do you 'limit the spread of it and its message as a way of neutering its bite'? How do you possibly do that?
Muta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:32 PM   #4875
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rando View Post
Ever outside of the Vancouver area in BC or rural Quebec? The trash is on another level. Espeically Quebec.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Ontario is full of trashy morons, BC is full of trashy morons, Manitoba is full of trashy morons, every province is full of trashy morons, this whole country is full of trashy morons.
Everywhere has trashy morons. ITT we are bashing the trashy morons we share a province with. It isn't a pissing contest. I was just calling a spade a spade. Deflect blames all you like, but the first solution to a problem is identifying it.

I love this province, and I likely will never live anywhere else, there are lots of brilliant people here. However, you would be willfully ignorant to claim that AB is not full of racists, homophobes and other ill meaning angry people. Just because these people exist elsewhere does not excuse these Albertans' behavior. I am not going to pretend that they don't exist.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:36 PM   #4876
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muta View Post
Except, what was the purpose of that sticker? For public use on mudflaps, truck windows, whatever?

If so, and the company knew these would be seen by the general public, all it takes is one disgusted citizen to bring to attention the immoralities of said company. And if they do, the company deserves it.

Furthermore, if something is public or is released to the public, how do you 'limit the spread of it and its message as a way of neutering its bite'? How do you possibly do that?
Are you fataing kidding me? You don't post it on social media to your hundreds/thousands of followers with a little outrage blurb in an easy to replicate way amongst your followers and their followers, etc. You shake your head and do nothing. That is an option, you know.
Old 03-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #4877
Ozy_Flame

Posted the 6 millionth post!

Exp:

Quote:
Are you fataing kidding me? You don't post it on social media to your hundreds/thousands of followers with a little outrage blurb in an easy to replicate way amongst your followers and their followers, etc. You shake your head and do nothing. That is an option, you know.
Yeah that's just not going to happen in this day and age. To think one can control that by taking no action at all and expecting the best results is ridiculous. Any prudent company would have taken action on this a long time ago for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is public optics.
Ozy_Flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:46 PM   #4878
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/...b63aaf8f5b1606

Alberta oil firm X-Site Energy Services apologizes for sexually explicit hard hat stickers of Greta Thunberg.

Quote:
An Alberta oilfield company is apologizing for the “careless act” of distributing a sticker that appears to depict climate change activist Greta Thunberg being sexually assaulted.

X-Site Energy Services posted a statement on its website Monday, days after its general manager denied it had anything to do with the hard-hat decal that featured the company’s name printed boldly across the bottom.

Last edited by FlamesAddiction; 03-02-2020 at 03:51 PM.
FlamesAddiction is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #4879
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
That's a pretty bleak world to live in. And all for the hoorah AB energy? Not worth it.

I'd rather speak out and say this isn't us. Other O&G companies and associations have already spoken out too. That's how you fight the negative press, not by being silent.

Aren't we all constantly saying we should be advertising how great our industry is? Well with that comes unanimously denouncing this terrible behavior.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #4880
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozy_Flame View Post
Yeah that's just not going to happen in this day and age. To think one can control that by taking no action at all and expecting the best results is ridiculous. Any prudent company would have taken action on this a long time ago for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is public optics.
Yes, the company should have taken action. Sorry, I thought that was so unbelievably obvious and well covered in this thread that I didn't think it needed to be mentioned again.

Hey companies: don't make stickers depicting the rape of a minor. And if someone in your organization does so, fire them right away.

I'm talking about Miss Facebook who disseminated the image on social media. Had she taken no action, this wouldn't have unnecessarily blown up and put a spotlight on this dumb sticker and cast Albertans and our industry in a negative light. She didn't have to post it. She did. She's an idiot and has hurt us all more than a sticker I never would have even heard of had she not posted it.