Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 02-14-2020, 09:52 AM   #4741
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

When people get suckered into voting narrow wedge issues you end up here. The liberals are too cowardly to confront this, I can see it dragging on for a while.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 09:55 AM   #4742
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
Good god, our federal infrastructure is grinding to a halt and all these guys want to do is call a meeting?

How is this not a federal offence, punishable by jail time? Can I go sit on a railway track if I want to renegotiate my taxes?

I think the complication is that protesting is a protected activity in the charter of rights. It's more important than some of our existing laws that may be used to cut people off of their right to protest. For example disturbing the peace because is technically a gathering of more than 3 noisy people. However we always allow larger groups in the name of freedom of association, expression/speech.

Obviously these protestors are breaking the law, many laws. But we've determined that cops aren't really the ones to decide which law is important enough to trump the right to protest. So we have to go ask a judge what is fair and get an injunction allowing cops to do their thing.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:57 AM   #4743
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

How much power do the provinces have in terms of forcing the RCMP to do something?

What about provinces with a provincial police force?
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:07 AM   #4744
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a fantastic opportunity this rail disruption is for environmentalists to further their cause.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:08 AM   #4745
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
How much power do the provinces have in terms of forcing the RCMP to do something?

What about provinces with a provincial police force?

I don't think you have to really force the RCMP to do something. Once they have what they consider appropriate authority they seem more than happy to go arrest people. But they're not going to jump in without knowing they're going to have some legal backing. BUt again, the government doesn't force law enforcement except through the court system which is what they're doing.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:08 AM   #4746
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
When people get suckered into voting narrow wedge issues you end up here. The liberals are too cowardly to confront this, I can see it dragging on for a while.
In Canada we fight for what’s right by politely asking law breakers to stop. Good thing it’s not 1939.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:11 AM   #4747
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's multiple court injunctions, that aren't being enforced. It seems plain to me someone is telling the RCMP to stand down.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:18 AM   #4748
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's multiple court injunctions, that aren't being enforced. It seems plain to me someone is telling the RCMP to stand down.

I'm not able to find any info on that. Do you have a link or anything? I'd be curious to know what injunctions aren't being enforced. That would suck for sure.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:20 AM   #4749
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
Do you self-identify as a visible minority? /s

Spoiler!

I don't think that matters, there are a lot of protesters in these crowds that don't look like visible minorities unless Woke is now a minority.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:22 AM   #4750
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:

The head of the RCMP is pretty much a political appointee in this case, the Trudeau government made a great show of it.

Old 02-14-2020, 10:42 AM   #4751
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
That is why I'm asking. If the provinces can get the courts to enforce the ruling from a provincial side the Feds might not be able to stop the RCMP.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:59 AM   #4752
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

https://torontosun.com/news/national...down-continues

Quote:
The closure of CN’s operations in eastern Canada could lead to fuel shortages, warns a leading energy expert.

Canadians for Affordable Energy president Dan McTeague says we could start seeing severe shortages in both gasoline and heating fuel by Wednesday if the shutdown continues.

“Most of the propane that we have in the province isn’t pipelined — it’s actually railed and then trucked,” he said.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #4753
Isbrant
Backup Goalie

Exp:

So can pro-pipeline groups establish similar blockades of the rail lines in support of the First Nations that signed agreements with the proposed pipeline?
Isbrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:10 AM   #4754
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isbrant View Post
So can pro-pipeline groups establish similar blockades of the rail lines in support of the First Nations that signed agreements with the proposed pipeline?
The same thing crossed my mind. This seems to be a pretty effective tactic, and hurts specifically the provinces who are anti-pipeline.
Old 02-14-2020, 11:12 AM   #4755
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isbrant View Post

But that would be racist and non-woke and culturally insensitive

Old 02-14-2020, 11:19 AM   #4756
FireFly
Franchise Player

Exp:

I know it's really wrong to think this way, but I can't help it. I hope that during the fuel shortage this causes in Eastern Canada, the East gets a deep freeze and an oil spill from a Saudi tanker. I want them to feel the weight of their stupidity in a monumental way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moneyhands23 View Post
If edmonton wins the cup in the next decade I will buy everyone on CP a bottle of vodka.
FireFly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireFly For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 11:22 AM   #4757
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Original Trudeau, love him or hate him, he actually had balls. How would Justin have dealt with the FLQ? Give them 10 million dollars as appeasement while breaking the laws of the country?

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/no-q...ered-1.4811999

Pierre Trudeau: Just Watch Me

Justin Trudeau: "Getting that balance right and wrapping it up in the path forward ... is really important."

Ontario and Quebec voted for this, and they will likely see some significant impact. Let them sink for once, they voted for this weak and incompetent leader.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:23 AM   #4758
Tacopuck
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Anyone know where I can get some "Let the Eastern bastards freeze in the dark" bumper stickers?
Old 02-14-2020, 11:28 AM   #4759
flamesfever
First Line Centre

Exp:

If there is any good that comes out of this whole affair, it should make Canadians more aware of how interdependent we are as a nation...something that has been sadly lacking.
flamesfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 11:30 AM   #4760
Shin Pad
First Line Centre

Exp:

Too bad there wasn't a counter-protest where all access roads in and out of the Wet'suwet'en territory are blocked, so no one could get in or out. We'll see how long they would last once supplies started running out. Use their strategy against them.
Shin Pad is offline   Reply With Quote