Poster

Exp:

haha deadpool... you will be missed...

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 05:47 PM   #82
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Marvel will be promoting it's new comic book status quo with a free All-New All-Different Marvel 64 page magazine, available for free at comic shops on July 1. Not sure if the mag will be available before or after the stat day here in Canada. Probably July 2 is my guess.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 06:45 PM   #83
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

https://games.yahoo.com/news/deadpoo...152000410.html

And we're back.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2015, 11:01 AM   #84
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

With the unveiling of the All-New All-Different Marvel Universe just over a week away, announcements about new books and creative teams have been trickling out for a while:
  • Invincible Iron Man - new ongoing series featuring writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist David Marquez
  • Spider-Man - former Ultimate universe character Miles Morales joins the All-New All-Different Marvel Universe in an ongoing series featuring writer Brian Michael Bendis and artist Sarah Pichelli
  • Doctor Strange - new ongoing series featuring writer Jason Aaron and artist Chris Bachalo
  • Captain Marvel - new ongoing series featuring writers Tara Butters and Michele Fazekas (showrunners on ABC's Agent Carter) and artist Kris Anka

Lots more announcements will be following over the next week or so, as Marvel will be launching in the neighborhood of 55-60 books this fall as part of the All-New All-Different initiative.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:12 PM   #85
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

A ton more All-New All-Different Marvel titles were leaked out today in advance of Wednesday's magazine from Marvel. It seems about 45-46 or so titles are out there for now, with the relaunch rumored at one point to contain 55-60 titles. So still more to come. Summaries I've read suggest in the neighborhood of 20 or so Avengers related titles, 7 X-books, 9 Spidey books, 4 Guardians books, and 6 other/miscellaneous.

Link to the wiki page, which only has about a third of them listed so far.
Old 06-29-2015, 09:25 PM   #86
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Summary stolen from Reddit:

Spoiler!
Old 06-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #87
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

No Black Panther in any ongoing books?

Scarlet Witch!
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:23 PM   #88
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

No. More.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 02:52 PM   #89
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I'm really glad I only read the Marvel Unlimited app now. I'll be able to sample all these in a year or so and see what I like.

I recently started reading Miles Morales Ultimate Spiderman stuff. It's really great and makes me happy he's being brought over to the main universe.

How can anyone afford to buy comics and keep up with the storylines when there are so many crossovers? Even when I'm reading on the Unlimited app, a series will abruptly change from what happened in the last issue because of some crossover comic I didn't read. Frustrating as hell.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:35 PM   #90
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
No Black Panther in any ongoing books?

Scarlet Witch!
He's in Ultimates from what's been reported.
Old 06-30-2015, 03:36 PM   #91
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
I recently started reading Miles Morales Ultimate Spiderman stuff. It's really great and makes me happy he's being brought over to the main universe.
Yeah, that could be really cool. I've been reading Ultimate Spider-Man on Unlimited, but I'm not up to the end of Volume 1. I'm looking forward to reading the Miles stuff. But Ultimate Peter Parker has been quite enjoyable too.
Old 07-04-2015, 01:43 PM   #92
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you weren't able to visit (or don't visit) your local comic store, the All-New All-Different Marvel preview magazine is available for free in Marvel's digital comic shop.
Old 07-04-2015, 02:20 PM   #93
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

I've never been much into the comics themselves, but after watching all the Marvel movies and getting into the SHIELD series I've got a question. In reality, if the events of the first Avengers were to happen (alien invasion of Earth), it would inevitably kick off a new space race the likes of which we've never seen. Knowing that there's intelligent life in our galaxy, some of it hostile, would have to result in the major governments of Earth banding together to get some sort of planetary defense setup. Yet in the movies, TV shows, and games this never happens, and apart from the superheroes doing their things everyone else just goes on with life as usual. Do the comics themselves ever delve into what the rest of the population is doing about interstellar threats? Just seems so weird to me that Marvel depicts all these massive events in humanity's history and no one really seems to care

Also given that Guardians of the Galaxy and Thor are in the same comic universe, does that mean that Asgard is just another planet that humans could travel to or are they in some other dimension?
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #94
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't consider myself an authority, but I will try to answer your questions.

In the comics, the Marvel Universe was generally unprepared space invasion wise until the original Kree-Skrull war. This was published in the comics in the early 70s. Since then, Earth has ramped up its preparedness, both officially and unofficially.

Officially, space based initiatives like S.W.O.R.D. (Sentient World Observation and Response Department) and Starcore (space based observation of the sun, later establishing moon bases) have been initiated to better protect the Earth from space based threats. S.W.O.R.D. is a military type organization like S.H.I.E.L.D., and Starcore is a UN initiative.

Unofficially, a group called the Illuminati formed among the major heroes after the Kree-Skrull war to share information the different teams have on various space based races, realizing they could have stopped the Kree-Skrull war if they shared information. Ostensibly this would help them defeat future space borne threats as well. Also, it turns out Nick Fury has silently been guarding Earth using extreme measures ("...including systematically torturing aliens, committing indiscriminate genocide on planetary civilizations, and starting wars spanning entire galaxies..." according to the Marvel wikia) since the first UFO crashed on Earth in 1958-ish.

As far as I know, the world at large is either generally unaware of space based threats, or confident that the Earth's heroes can deal with these problems as they arise. The governments try their own things (S.W.O.R.D., Starcore, etc) but also are at the mercy of the heroes saving the day.

I think Asgard is another dimension in the movies and in the comics, as opposed to a far flung planet in the depths of space. I'm not certain of that though.

Not sure if that helps or not.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-05-2015 at 07:50 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 03:43 PM   #95
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post

In the comics, the Marvel Universe was generally unprepared space invasion wise until the original Kree-Skrull war. This was published in the comics in the early 70s. Since then, Earth has ramped up its preparedness, both officially and unofficially.

Officially, space based initiatives like S.W.O.R.D. (Sentient World Observation and Response Department) and Starcore (space based observation of the sun, later establishing moon bases) have been initiated to better protect the Earth from space based threats. S.W.O.R.D. is a military type organization like S.H.I.E.L.D., and Starcore is a UN initiative.

Unofficially, a group called like the Illuminati formed amongst the major heroes after the Kree-Skrull war to share information the different teams have on various space based races, realizing they could have stopped the Kree-Skrull war if they shared information. Ostensibly this would help them defeat future space borne threats as well. Also, it turns out Nick Fury has silently been guarding Earth using extreme measures ("...including systematically torturing aliens, committing indiscriminate genocide on planetary civilizations, and starting wars spanning entire galaxies..." according to the Marvel wikia) since the first UFO crashed on Earth in 1958-ish.

As far as I know, the world at large is either generally unaware of space based threats, or confident that the Earth's heroes can deal with these problems as they arise. The governments try their own things (S.W.O.R.D., Starcore, etc) but also are at the mercy of the heroes saving the day.

I think Asgard is another dimension in the movies and in the comics, as opposed to a far flung planet in the depths of space. I'm not certain of that though.

Asgard kind of gets muddy when you have Lady Sif and Volstagg dropping off Aethor with the Collector who was in Guardians.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 03:46 PM   #96
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Odin conjured dark matter something something Bifrost

But yes, it is definitely muddy.
Old 07-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #97
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post

Unofficially, a group called like the Illuminati formed amongst the major heroes after the Kree-Skrull war to share information the different teams have on various space based races, realizing they could have stopped the Kree-Skrull war if they shared information. Ostensibly this would help them defeat future space borne threats as well. Also, it turns out Nick Fury has silently been guarding Earth using extreme measures ("...including systematically torturing aliens, committing indiscriminate genocide on planetary civilizations, and starting wars spanning entire galaxies..." according to the Marvel wikia) since the first UFO crashed on Earth in 1958-ish.

Thanks, I hadn't heard of most of that stuff. Still though, even if the general population is ok with heroes defending them from alien threats, you'd think the knowledge that there is a whole galactic civilization out there would spur humanity to start exploring on their own and getting their technology up to speed
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #98
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's quite possible they have, it's just not a corner of the Marvel Universe I'm familiar with. The cosmic stuff with Guardians, Nova, Thanos, Galactus, Silver Surfer, Adam Warlock, and so on has just never been in my wheelhouse.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 AM   #99
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Fury sort of addressed this in the Avengers when they were caught building weapons with the Tesseract. Here's the quote from IMDB:

Quote:
Bruce Banner: I'd like to know why SHIELD is using the Tesseract to build weapons of mass destruction.
Nick Fury: Because of him!
[points at Thor]
Thor: Me?
Nick Fury: Last year, Earth had a visit from another planet that had a grudge match that leveled a small town. We learned that only are we not alone, but we are hopelessly, hilariously outgunned.
Thor: My people want nothing but peace with your planet!
Nick Fury: But you're not the only ones out there, are you? And you're not the only threat. The world is filling up with people that can't be matched, that can't be controlled!
Steve Rogers: Like you control the cube?
I don't know about a space race. I think regular humans in the Marvel universe are more concerned about protecting themselves, than exploring the galaxy because the majority of alien visitors they get are trying to kill them.

Last edited by KTrain; 07-06-2015 at 07:38 AM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #100
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think what you're talking about is basically what Age of Ultron was about. Banner, and particularly, Stark were looking to create Ultron as a "suit of armour around the world".

The world was reacting in different ways with SHIELD building the helicarrier army under the guise of global protection, and Von Strucker seems to be looking to try and join an invasion for personal benefit. But the ting is, a guy like Stark is who the world would be looking too for help with creating a global initiave, but he's a polarizing character and already one of the Avengers, so we only really see the end game of what is assumed to be Earthly panic, and that is "what will Tony Stark do to save us?" and it seems to be Stark's whole motivation for continuing to be involved with the Avengers at all.