Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-04-2022, 03:02 PM   #1441
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cruise ships still require a negative Covid test before boarding on many sailings with some loosening of requirements during the last week. The testing requirement definitely adds a lot of uncertainty and anxiety to the pre-trip process.

We did our testing this afternoon for a cruise on Saturday and received a negative result. The worst part is the uncertainty of feeling completely fine but potentially being asymptomatic. This was a huge relief though and now it is party time!
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 05:12 PM   #1442
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
Cruise ships still require a negative Covid test before boarding on many sailings with some loosening of requirements during the last week. The testing requirement definitely adds a lot of uncertainty and anxiety to the pre-trip process.

We did our testing this afternoon for a cruise on Saturday and received a negative result. The worst part is the uncertainty of feeling completely fine but potentially being asymptomatic. This was a huge relief though and now it is party time!
With Legionnaires Disease!!
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 07:35 PM   #1443
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
With Legionnaires Disease!!
Regardless, party time!
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:37 AM   #1444
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Information on the relative level (by hour) of how busy each terminal is at Toronto YYZ based on data from the past two weeks:

https://www.torontopearson.com/en/status

Some recent stats for YYZ, according to Deborah Flint, President and CEO of the Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA)

- 82% of passengers last week cleared security in less than 15 minutes (a one percentage point increase over the rolling average for the previous four weeks)

- Last week, 44 per cent of all flights were on time, versus a 35 per cent average for the four previous weeks.

- At times, the airport is forced to hold passengers on their plane to make room in the customs hall. This happened 19 times last week, an improvement from a four-week rolling average of 60 plane holds per week.

- Baggage: For domestic travel, the average wait time for bags to arrive at the carousel is now 24 minutes, a three-minute improvement over the four-week average. The same metric also improved by three minutes for international bags, and by four minutes for transborder bags.

Busiest times at YYZ (avoid if possible):

Departures

Terminal 1, domestic departures: 5 AM to 7 AM

Terminal 1, international departures: 5 AM to 7 AM, 3 PM to 7 PM, and 10 PM

Terminal 1, United States departures: 5 AM to 9 AM, 2 PM to 5 PM

Terminal 3, domestic / international departures: 4 AM to 6 AM, 2 PM to 3 PM, and 6 PM to 9 PM

Terminal 3, international departures: 6 PM to 8 PM

Terminal 3, United States departures: 4 AM to 5 AM, 8 AM to 9 AM

Arrivals

Terminal 1, arrivals: 3 PM to 6 PM

Terminal 3, arrivals: 4 PM to 6 PM

--

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 09:55 AM   #1445
Knut

Exp:

Anecdotally, We travelled in April and now July. It was way smoother in July. Cleared customs at both locations super quick and the luggage arrived to the carrousel in about half the time.
Knut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2022, 10:47 AM   #1446
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knut View Post
Anecdotally, We travelled in April and now July. It was way smoother in July. Cleared customs at both locations super quick and the luggage arrived to the carrousel in about half the time.
Also anecdotally, I've been seeing a lot more 'surprisingly, everything was fine' reports from Canadian travellers in the past couple of weeks, particularly in relation to Canadian airports and European airports.

Although maybe the 'chaos' and 'crisis' headlines had 100% of travellers bracing for the worst and there's bound to be a percentage of travellers that have everything go smoothly.

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2022, 11:03 AM   #1447
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

For myself, I found it was okay. A lot of rushing across airports and a lot of sitting and waiting as things were delayed, but I did make all my flights as planned and my luggage did come with me. I found smaller cities (Calgary and Porto) were pretty good, while larger ones (Toronto and Lisbon) seemed crazy.

Talked to a few other travellers though, who did not fare as well because their connections weren't delayed as much or certain legs were cancelled.

My advice:
-Non-stop flights if possible
-Smaller (but not too small) airports are better.
-Check baggage. Take a small carry-on with important things only. Check the rest, because everyone is trying to carry-on and if you thought overhead bins was chaos before, it's nothing like now. I thought cops were going to be called on one guy. Prepare to deal with delayed luggage (label everything well, don't take clothes you like, build in time to shop if needed).
-Plan double the time you normally would for connections. Be prepared to sit around. I don't love waiting in airports, but I prefer that to trying to re-schedule half a trip.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post: