Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-26-2019, 10:59 AM   #181
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biden looks so damn old, and he really is. There is a very legitimate risk of him not making it to the general election or having a major health event. Sanders too. I really hope someone else is able to have a good campaign, and we don't have to default to those guys.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:21 AM   #182
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Why is Biden even running? It could reasonably be argued that one of the primary reasons Trump won was due to an electorate looking for change. Biden is a throwback to the political old-boys club. As much as Clinton was criticized for being a political weather-vane Biden is just as bad or maybe worse. The only people that Biden appeals to are those that were satisfied with the status quo or those who strictly go by name recognition. It could be said that he is a centrist Democrat but so are Harris and Buttigieg, both of which are much younger and don't have the same warts as Biden.

Biden can actually do the Democratic party a huge solid if he starts to endorse some of the platforms that Bernie and others espouse to help get the centrist Democrats behind Bernie or the eventual nominee.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:24 AM   #183
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
Why is Biden even running? It could reasonably be argued that one of the primary reasons Trump won was due to an electorate looking for change. Biden is a throwback to the political old-boys club. As much as Clinton was criticized for being a political weather-vane Biden is just as bad or maybe worse. The only people that Biden appeals to are those that were satisfied with the status quo or those who strictly go by name recognition. It could be said that he is a centrist Democrat but so are Harris and Buttigieg, both of which are much younger and don't have the same warts as Biden.

Biden can actually do the Democratic party a huge solid if he starts to endorse some of the platforms that Bernie and others espouse to help get the centrist Democrats behind Bernie or the eventual nominee.
He's a corporate Democrat, exactly the type of candidate the AOC and Bernie crowd will revolt against. I'm not even saying I dislike the guy. I just think he's far from the slam dunk candidate people think he is.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:43 AM   #184
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Biden is an establishment Democrat with money and connections in the party, to be sure. But he also has excellent rust belt appeal. He's always been more of a labour-supported working man's blue collar sort of Democrat, and doesn't have any of that "Ivory Tower" coastal odour to him that so much of the country reviles. In that sense, he is actually a very good candidate to contrast with Trump, because he has credibility with precisely the sort of people who the Democrats need to win over in order to win the election. Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin - all of the states needed to win are squarely within his crosshairs as a candidate.

Meanwhile, he actually comes across as a pretty decent person. If it's an act, it's a damned good one. He's extremely likable. So I don't have any doubts that he can win over a large segment of the base who saw Hillary as fake. Even Obama, in his endorsement of Hillary, never seemed to really have his heart in it - he correctly sold her as enormously qualified, but you never got the sense that he really liked her. Having Obama genuinely and enthusiastically in Biden's corner as a candidate would certainly help. It'd be a ticket of three.

That being said, there are a couple of problems. The first, as I said, is that the wing of the party that want Bernie and think AOC is their saviour might just be unreachable by anyone else. They might actually throw another tantrum if Bernie loses. Of course, if Bernie agreed to be the Veep candidate, that would probably solve the issue.

The second is that he's simply too old - if he was going to run, it should have been last time.

But I do think that he could beat Trump, and would have a better chance of doing so than Bernie would in a general.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 11:45 AM   #185
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Biden is an establishment Democrat with money and connections in the party, to be sure. But he also has excellent rust belt appeal. He's always been more of a labour-supported working man's blue collar sort of Democrat, and doesn't have any of that "Ivory Tower" coastal odour to him that so much of the country reviles. In that sense, he is actually a very good candidate to contrast with Trump, because he has credibility with precisely the sort of people who the Democrats need to win over in order to win the election. Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, Wisconsin - all of the states needed to win are squarely within his crosshairs as a candidate.
He's pretty pro-NAFTA and pro-TPP, both of which don't play particularly well with blue-collar crowds.
Old 04-26-2019, 11:57 AM   #186
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
He's pretty pro-NAFTA and pro-TPP, both of which don't play particularly well with blue-collar crowds.
I think you've overestimating the extent to which those groups are policy wonks. Biden's strength is connecting with people emotionally. If he talks about what he thinks about, say, the opioid crisis, it hits you right in the feels. Trump exploited the emotional connection - anger, resentment, the feeling that the world had moved past them and left them behind and the people out on the coasts don't know what they're going through or care to find out. They certainly didn't believe Clinton was their champion. Trump, con man that he is, manipulated the angry element of that feeling, and sold them a bill of goods, which should have been as obvious as a Nigerian Prince e-mail scam, but people are dumb. Biden is even better at that sales pitch than Trump is.

Again, though, 68 year old Biden could swing this. Not sure 76 year old Biden can. I guess we'll see.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:00 PM   #187
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I think it will be very interesting how fast the progressive wing coalesces behind one candidate. As it is, Warren, O’Rourke, and others represent large contingents of progressives.

It seems likely to me that establishment Democrats coalesce quicker behind Biden than progressives behind Bernie. I think Harris, Booker, Buttigieg, Klobuchar, etc step aside quite quickly, but I just don’t see the same from progressives.

However, in terms of grassroots organization, the progressive wing seems to be ascendant among Democrats - and I think Bernie will be their guy. It remains to be seen if Warren, etc. will give up easily as I expect of the centrists.

I also wonder - with respect to Bernie - if the “drain the swamp” message actually resonates with Americans: if it does, he really is that guy. It would be absolutely fascinating to see what a hippy from Vermont would do in the WH.

Definitely would put my money on Biden though.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:22 PM   #188
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post

Biden wanted to run last time, but stepped aside for Hillary. He probably sees it as his turn now.

Generally, the insiders of both parties seem very out of touch with reality. I agree, running a long-term insider is a horrible idea.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:31 PM   #189
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

ACD, anybody but Donald.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 01:40 PM   #190
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
ACD, anybody but Donald.
What does the C stand for?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2019, 01:41 PM   #191
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I think you've overestimating the extent to which those groups are policy wonks. Biden's strength is connecting with people emotionally. If he talks about what he thinks about, say, the opioid crisis, it hits you right in the feels. Trump exploited the emotional connection - anger, resentment, the feeling that the world had moved past them and left them behind and the people out on the coasts don't know what they're going through or care to find out. They certainly didn't believe Clinton was their champion. Trump, con man that he is, manipulated the angry element of that feeling, and sold them a bill of goods, which should have been as obvious as a Nigerian Prince e-mail scam, but people are dumb. Biden is even better at that sales pitch than Trump is.

Again, though, 68 year old Biden could swing this. Not sure 76 year old Biden can. I guess we'll see.
Am I though? Trump campaigned pretty hard on re-opening NAFTA and cancelling the TPP. Who do you think that was attempting to appeal to?
Old 04-27-2019, 06:50 PM   #192
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

Bernie’s Calgary fundraiser tonight is sold out.

https://act.berniesanders.com/event/...rce=events-map

Though it’s looks like someone’s house, lol.
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:01 PM   #193
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Uhh, how does that work?
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 07:31 PM   #194
PostandIn
First Line Centre

Exp:

People across the world are heavily invested in US politics?

‘Join the Fight’ nik-

https://www.washingtonpost.com/video...=.83929b9ced0d
PostandIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2019, 09:33 PM   #195
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

and the division begins

MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 12:56 AM   #196
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
Bernie should get out of the Democratic race. He is not a Democrat, has never been one, does not intend to become one. If he wants to run for President he should do so as he presents himself - an independent.

Either that, or become a member of the Party he wants to lead, though that would stink of rank opportunism.
His views are likely more Liberation than Democratic but lets face it he's been a democratic US senator for 12 years, why on earth would he try to run under a different model now?
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 01:04 AM   #197
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBridgeman View Post
and the division begins

No biased opinion there.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:14 AM   #198
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mel is correct. Pantsed!!!

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 04-28-2019 at 10:15 AM. Reason: Acknowledgement of Mel Bridgeman's brilliance.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2019, 08:17 AM   #199
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

That’s the Young Turks.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AltaGuy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2019, 08:24 AM   #200
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Mel is correct. Liberals eat their own on this one.

Last edited by Lanny_McDonald; 04-28-2019 at 10:16 AM.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post: