Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-14-2019, 09:23 AM   #61
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Would a white college kid get 12 years for selling drugs?
For a sale of narcotics and pimping? Quickly reading and it seems like they would be serving 5 years or similar to her.

Connecticut has mandatory minimum of 5 years for selling .5 grams or more of crack. A mandatory minimum of 3 years added consecutively for selling within 1,500 feet of a school, which she was charged for. Promoting prostitution in the second degree is a Class C felony with a 1-10 year sentence.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Oling_Roachinen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #62
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

nm,

Last edited by SportsJunky; 03-14-2019 at 10:08 AM.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 10:06 AM   #63
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Person who we would know nothing about without nepotism/being born into money finds people criticizing nepotism/being born into money annoying. More news at 11.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1105849859599421440
Old 03-14-2019, 10:18 AM   #64
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
America's institutions of higher education are so corrupted by money that an operation like this won't have any lasting effect.
Personally (and maybe as usual) I think the focus of this story is all wrong, and I think you hit it much closer than a lot of people. To me, the people involved don’t matter. I don’t care about rich people forking over money to get their kids into school. It’s dirty and criminal, but is a symptom of the insane corruption and operations of the American post-secondary system.

School is so detrimentally expense down there (here too, but not to a remotely close degree) and there is such a weird fascination with the “prestige” of certain schools. The whole system is a mess. Rich people paying for their kid to get in is a very minor symptom of the huge problem.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #65
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by accord1999 View Post
She was sentenced (in two districts) for trying to sell drugs to undercover police officers on several occasions while she was out on bond from the school charges.

https://www.stamfordadvocate.com/new...ll-3350071.php

https://www.ctpost.com/news/article/...on-3437974.php
According to this article, she was indeed sentenced to five years on the larceny charges (related to lying to send her son to a better school). She served that sentence concurrently with the sentence for the narcotic charges (from a different jurisdiction). So it appears that she was indeed sentenced to five years for attempting to send her son to a better school in a richer district.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:12 PM   #66
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Lori Loughlin’s daughter on USC chairman’s yacht when college scandal broke

https://globalnews.ca/news/5055254/l...airmans-yacht/
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 12:45 PM   #67
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Lori Loughlin’s daughter on USC chairman’s yacht when college scandal broke

https://globalnews.ca/news/5055254/l...airmans-yacht/
Was she working to pay off the voyage or is it all very civilized?

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

VladtheImpaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 01:57 PM   #68
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I don't know if this fits, but I work at a private university where tuition is high, but virtually everyone is accepted and it truly doesn't take that much to get a degree here. We have plenty of very wealthy kids who ain't so good at the book-learnin' thang. Most students eventually make their way through an undergraduate program as long as they do the bare minimum.

My experience with these students is that they have no moral compass when it comes to academic honesty. Lying about their work comes as easy to them as breathing. It's normalized, as one student told me after admitting that her tutor wrote her paper, "I did this all the time in high school and nobody told me it was wrong." These kids are raised either by their parents or the school systems to think that dishonesty is the norm and entirely acceptable.

Further to that, the school rarely seems to care. Sure, when egregious examples of academic dishonesty are found they suspend or expel the student, but they are often allowed back in after their "time out" without any further reprimand. At the end of the day, if the student continues to pay their exorbitant tuition, they're allowed to muddle their way through classes and get a piece of paper that really wasn't earned, but bought.

This is the American way. I find it disheartening, and it makes me wonder how much longer I want to be a part of it. There are positives to the institutions, don't get me wrong. It's not all bad. It's just that there is an undercurrent of dishonesty that permeates all of post-secondary institutions in America. Education is good business these days, as everyone is striving to get ahead in an economy where there are fewer and fewer quality jobs for high school educated people. Heck, even an undergraduate degree doesn't guarantee anything these days.

This case is a symptom of the general sickness plaguing universities in America. You can't just treat the fever, you have to attack the infection somehow. Whole scale changes need to be made.
You are making some flagrantly blatant generalizations here that are patently false for a great number of people. I found the bolded part to be particularly inflammatory.

I'm sorry but Americans don't have a patent on cheating and fraud. Which is exactly what this case is about. It is not an indictment of the educational system. It is an indictment of people who aren't prepared to actually earn what they want. These types of people exist everywhere.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 02:00 PM   #69
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
Yes obviously I was generalizing. Do you think I think every single American’s only thing they care about is money? Let’s just relax and if I offended you I’m sorry. Also if it makes you feel any better Canadian culture and society is actually very similar. When you have a fully capitalist system and have the kind of institutionalized issues with wealth sharing and retaining a middle class, I dunno how you really get your back up. Do the majority of Americans demand change? No, not really.

So really my statement was maybe poorly worded because I didn’t think anybody would actually interpret what I said in such a bizarre way but I’m not sure I’m wrong on the overall sentiment. Again sorry I offended you.
So what did you mean exactly?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 04:21 PM   #70
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So how about a couple feel good stories to balance rich kid nepotism? Congrats to these young men for earning their way, gotta feel way more fulfilled than Aunt Becky's socialite daughter.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1105638863442272257
https://twitter.com/user/status/1106246110568464384
Old 03-14-2019, 05:36 PM   #71
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
So what did you mean exactly?
That Americans worship money. Is this news to you?

American society means you can make a better life for yourself if you make more money.

I’m not even sure how this is groundbreaking, debatable or really even insulting to be honest. It’s just how America has built itself and how its’ society functions. It’s how Canadian and western society function generally speaking too but to a milder degree because there are basic social nets in place. So I’m not sure why it comes as a surprise to people why education or politics or business or almost all parts of peoples quality of life is so tightly linked to money.

Want to get an education? Make more money.
Want power? Make more money
Want shelter or basic needs? Make more money
Want a doctor? Make more money

Want anything? Make more money

Like- how am I wrong here?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 06:22 PM   #72
FunkMasterFlame
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
Are you kidding? Paul Manafort didn't even get 12 years, and he was conspiring with Russians!
I don't know if this is sarcasm or not, but in case it isn't Manafort was not sentenced for anything to do with conspiring with Russians. He was found guilty of tax evasion and illegal lobbying.
FunkMasterFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FunkMasterFlame For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2019, 08:16 PM   #73
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
That Americans worship money. Is this news to you?

American society means you can make a better life for yourself if you make more money.

I’m not even sure how this is groundbreaking, debatable or really even insulting to be honest. It’s just how America has built itself and how its’ society functions. It’s how Canadian and western society function generally speaking too but to a milder degree because there are basic social nets in place. So I’m not sure why it comes as a surprise to people why education or politics or business or almost all parts of peoples quality of life is so tightly linked to money.

Want to get an education? Make more money.
Want power? Make more money
Want shelter or basic needs? Make more money
Want a doctor? Make more money

Want anything? Make more money

Like- how am I wrong here?
Probably not wrong entirely wrong, but certainly bizarre to single Americans out and call it money “worship.”

Americans needing money more because there are a lack of social safety nets compared to other western nations doesn’t really align with money worship.

Most people who don’t have enough need more, most people who have enough don’t think much about it, and some who have enough make it their business to collect as much as possible. That’s not just an American thing, that’s a world thing.

Americans value a quality life. In America, you need more money to achieve that than in other places. It’s not worship, it’s necessity.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #74
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Guilty pleas begin

https://twitter.com/user/status/1115328088110501889
Old 04-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #75
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

So were the fees on a sliding scale depending how dumb your kid is?
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 06:25 PM   #76
Mickey76
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

One thing that bothers me about this story is I have always thought (and I don't really know why just my own moral compass I guess) that is a more serious offence to accept a bribe than it is to offer one. I guess I assume that when someone has been entrusted with a public good of some kind (politician, university, amateur sport) that one of the most important aspects of that trust is that they wont be corrupted, because there will be those who will attempt to corrupt them. So when I vote for the mayor, I assume there are people out there who would be willing to bribe him, this doesn't bother me that much as it is just the nature of the universe. We need people of strong character in these positions so the offices keep their integrity. I guess what I am saying is I think the people who accepted the bribes should be in much more trouble then the people who offered them and that doesn't seem to be the case.
Mickey76 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mickey76 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2019, 03:40 AM   #77
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Person who we would know nothing about without nepotism/being born into money finds people criticizing nepotism/being born into money annoying. More news at 11.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1105849859599421440
I thought her dad was awesome but Meghan McCain is getting on my nerves lately
Snuffleupagus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2019, 10:49 AM   #78
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
So were the fees on a sliding scale depending how dumb your kid is?
I was wondering about that too. I'm guessing that was part of it, as the dumber the kid, the more work required to make them admissible. That said, I think the majority of the cost would reflect the number and quality of the targeted school(s), and how much their inside man could be bought for.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:29 PM   #79
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Huffman pleads guilty - prosecutors recommend 4 months in prison.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/05/13/us/fe...lea/index.html

Quote:
"I am in full acceptance of my guilt, and with deep regret and shame over what I have done, I accept full responsibility for my actions and will accept the consequences that stem from those actions," the actress said in a statement early April.

"I am ashamed of the pain I have caused my daughter, my family, my friends, my colleagues and the educational community. I want to apologize to them and, especially, I want to apologize to the students who work hard every day to get into college, and to their parents who make tremendous sacrifices to support their children and do so honestly."
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #80
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Instead of prison they should be given the option of setting up scholarships, and make it enoguh to be punitive. Throwing them in jail doesn't really help anyone, and just costs society for incarceration. They have the money, put it to good use.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: