Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #21
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I've said it before but Last Stand is an okay movie, not the trash that Wolverine or Spiderman 3 were. It's certainly watchable with some fun mutant action but lacks the depth of X2 or First Class. I'd give it a 5.5 or a 6 while X2 and First Class are solid 8's pushing into 9 out of 10.

Wolverine and Spiderman 3 were a two out of ten.

Last edited by MrMastodonFarm; 02-15-2013 at 12:34 PM.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #22
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Definitely my favourite scene in the movie:

Please ignore the fact its a remade commercial...
Old 02-15-2013, 12:31 PM   #23
trackercowe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you mean X2 and First Class are pushing 9 out of 10? You wrote Last Stand twice.

The big issue I have with First Class is that it felt like such a giant rush job. That's a storyline that could have been played over 2-3 movies, yet somehow Ratner tried to jam the entire Phoenix/cure storyline in a 104 minute movie which ruined it for me. That and he killed off too many characters at random (wtf happened to Cyclops?), and poorly introduced others (Juggernaut and Angel).

Last Stand put that franchise back a few years, which I guess was a good thing in hindsight since we only got First Class because of that.
trackercowe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:37 PM   #24
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Did you mean Last Stand felt like a rush job? lol

I totally agree. Ratner just isn't a quality director. He lacks depth and story line as a film maker and that's exactly what Last Stand was missing. Still thought it was "Okay" and not that hot garbage that Wolverine was.

I was really worried when Vaughn dropped out of Days of Future Past. Relieved that Singer is back. It will be nice to have Vaughn stay on as producer to bounce ideas off of too.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:38 PM   #25
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Definitely my favourite scene in the movie:

Please ignore the fact its a remade commercial...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #26
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trackercowe View Post
I actually quite liked Daredevil. It gets better with repeat viewings I guess.
The director's cut is a much better movie as well.

Quote:
I would say the bad ones are Ghost Rider, Elektra, Spider-Man 3, X-Men Last Stand, Blade Trinity, both Fantastic Four movies, and Wolverine. The Punisher movies were pretty bad as well, but they seem to have their fair share of dedicated fans. I may have to watch them again one of these days.

Then there are a ton of average ones: Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk, The Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Daredevil, Captain America, Blade, The Amazing Spider-Man.

Then the one's that are very good/great: Iron Man, The Avengers, X2, First Class, Spider-Man 2, Blade 2, and I actually quite liked Thor considering how bad it could have been in the wrong hands.

I guess the bad movies out number the good one's, but I blame that obviously the studios play a large role in ruining many of those movies. That and when they hire bad directors (Ratner, Story), the movie will probably suck.
Agree 100% on all these points. We have the exact same taste in comic book movies.

Quote:
Really? I think Jackman is a great Wolverine. Berry is awful, I agree there, but she did bring some name value to the franchise at least. And while I do agree they tend to focus too much on Wolverine, really that's what the audience wants. It's no different than Iron Man getting the major amount of screen time in The Avengers, and I assume what Batman and Superman will receive in Justice League. It's no different than the attention Wolverine receives in much of the comics and especially the cartoons (I believe he is in every single episode).
My problem with the Wolverine movie character is that it's not true enough to the original character. Wolverine is suppossed to be an ugly, 5'2'' loner type, who doesn't hesitate to turn to his darker side and kill. Instead they've transformed him into the handsome, leading man, who's the stand up/moral code hero type. I just can't get over Hugh Jackman constantly making eyes at the camera. It's way too distracting and destroys one of the best comic characters of all time.

I just want a darker portrayal of Wolverine. Even his name "Wolverine" was given to him, because he is small and ferocious. He's also suppossed to embody that misfit image the x-men have. They aren't the Avengers. Overall, I think the X-men movies would be better if a lot of the gloss was taken off. That's why Fassbender's dark portrayal of Magneto was so great. I think the weakness and superficialness of Hugh Jackman's Wolverine was really exposed in Origins. Granted the script wasn't great, but if Jackman was capable of brooding/angry expressions, things would have been a lot better.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #27
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hugh Jackman was a late, really late replacement for Dougray Scott who dropped out after getting hurt on the set of Mission Impossible II. While not 5'2 he was probably a good 4-5 inches shorter then Jackman.

At the end of the day though Jackman has proven to be an exceptional character and one I'm comfortable being his. Jackman's capable of a darker Wolverine, he showed it some in X2... but man that Origins movie was all kinds of bad.

The Wolverine comes out this summer, they really need to knock that one of the park.
Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 PM   #28
AR_Six
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

For me,

Bad: Ghost Rider, Elektra, Spider-Man 3, X-Men Last Stand, both Fantastic Four movies, Wolverine, Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Iron Man 2, Thor.

Okay: X-Men, Daredevil, Captain America, Blade, Last Stand.

Good: Iron Man, First Class, Spider Man, Spider-Man 2, The Amazing Spider-Man.

Really good: Avengers, X2.

Haven't seen the Punisher ones and can't remember the later Blades.
AR_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:19 PM   #29
speede5
First Line Centre

Exp:

These are comic book movies and a lot of those books were pretty damn cheesy. I wonder if it's a bit of an age thing, comics have changed a lot since the 70s / 80s and it shows in the movies, and which are considered bad/good. Anything fairly innocent and comicy(?) is generally considered bad, and anything gritty and 'real' is considered good.

I like the grittier movies a ton, but I tend to cut the cheesier ones a bit of slack as they are more akin to the books I grew up reading.

Except for steaming piles of rubbish like GR. haha
speede5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 03:36 PM   #30
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I always wondered in X-2 why they didn't give Colossus a bigger part. He is a popular character in the Cartoon and Comics, and I think he has huge appeal as just a bad ass that can break stuff. His powers are probably some of the easiest and most practical to relate as you just have to show him breaking stuff. I loved his quick cameo in X-2, and was stunned when it was all we got.
Old 02-15-2013, 03:51 PM   #31
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Hugh Jackman was a late, really late replacement for Dougray Scott who dropped out after getting hurt on the set of Mission Impossible II. While not 5'2 he was probably a good 4-5 inches shorter then Jackman.

At the end of the day though Jackman has proven to be an exceptional character and one I'm comfortable being his. Jackman's capable of a darker Wolverine, he showed it some in X2... but man that Origins movie was all kinds of bad.

The Wolverine comes out this summer, they really need to knock that one of the park.
It's not just the height thing. Although choosing a 6'3 actor is a little extreme. I think they've got his personality wrong. Jackman is constantly brooding and giving sultry eyes to the camera, I just can't take it. Wolverine's character definitely has his dark loner side, but he's also suppossed to be a wise cracker. He's at his best when outsmarting dumber characters like the Juggernaut, Hulk, etc.. or going toe to toe with Deadpool, Spiderman, Johny Storm, etc...

I just don't think Jackman got the character right. Wolverine is portrayed as too one-dimensional. Too hollywood.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2013, 12:51 AM   #32
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but movies do that. Movie Cyclops sucked compared to comic Cyclops.

But forget it. Fassbender is pretty much a god. Hell I even enjoyed Jane Eyre because he was in it.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:00 PM   #33
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think a poll needs to be in order (voted by CP members) to see who is the bigger Fassbender fan, Yeah_Baby, MMF, me and a couple of others.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:59 PM   #34
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Yeah, but movies do that. Movie Cyclops sucked compared to comic Cyclops.

But forget it. Fassbender is pretty much a god. Hell I even enjoyed Jane Eyre because he was in it.
Cyclops has sucked in all conceptions.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tinordi For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2013, 05:27 PM   #35
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I think a poll needs to be in order (voted by CP members) to see who is the bigger Fassbender fan, Yeah_Baby, MMF, me and a couple of others.
Considering you are the only one on here who has openly admitted you would go gay for him, i would say you. I find your guy's obsession with him really strange.
Old 02-16-2013, 05:31 PM   #36
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey_Ninja View Post
Considering you are the only one on here who has openly admitted you would go gay for him, i would say you. I find your guy's obsession with him really strange.
He's a fantastic actor, anything beyond that is for the laughs. Don't be so slow.
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2013, 06:37 PM   #37
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Cyclops has sucked in all conceptions.
Yeah, I think the movie representation is very faithful to the comic; sucky.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #38
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually thought cyclops was one of the better done characters in the movie. Him and Wolverine had a good back and forth He had a terrible death and the character wasn't flushed out enough. I wish they had developed him more. Maybe we'll see him again? The role was well cast.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:20 PM   #39
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
I actually thought cyclops was one of the better done characters in the movie. Him and Wolverine had a good back and forth He had a terrible death and the character wasn't flushed out enough. I wish they had developed him more. Maybe we'll see him again? The role was well cast.
They need to find a way to eliminate everything that happened in X3. Not only was it a bad movie, but killing of Xavier and Cyclops via psychic desintegration kills the franchise.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:48 PM   #40
TurnedTheCorner
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
They need to find a way to eliminate everything that happened in X3. Not only was it a bad movie, but killing of Xavier and Cyclops via psychic desintegration kills the franchise.
Considering this movie will involve time travel and alternate timelines, that should be an easily achievable goal should the film choose to go in that direction.

Or just have an Xavier clone body and a mind transfer. Done! (It was even done in the comics, at least once).
TurnedTheCorner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cervenka? , omg , xmen