Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-24-2021, 10:22 PM   #2541
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
I haven’t done any research as I was waiting till the fed election ended (except pootsman stopped by).

One thing I am hearing is voting for Gondek is basically voting for Nenshi again. I wonder if that thought process will hurt her.

Well Nenshi currently enjoys a significantly higher individual approval rating than city council as a whole so I doubt it would be detrimental.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:26 PM   #2542
ZedMan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ya, it would be tragic to get another fantastic mayor who actually cares about our city and citizens. If only we had someone who's

sole attribute is voting no on everything.

That's not fair, he voted yes on his totally real and not at all made up council pay cut motion.
ZedMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ZedMan For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 10:38 PM   #2543
octothorp
Franchise Player

Exp:

If Gondek gets elected, she'll be going to the province with an extremely strong hand to play. The UCP will themselves need to be calling an election within about 18 months, while suffering historically low popularity province-wide, and absolutely needing to win Calgary. We just saw the CPC lose more votes in Calgary than anywhere else in the country. Add an adamently anti-UCP mayor getting elected to the mix, plus the NDP likely say the right things about opening up the funding model for re-negotiation. If there is a time for a mayor (or mayoral candidate) to play this tactic, it's definitely right now.
octothorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:06 AM   #2544
Roughneck
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Re: Farkas' bs message:

Being concerned about flexibility of 12-17 year olds? Under the municipal bylaw, they are not denied essential services. The bylaw doesn't cover:
- Retail and malls (including the food court)
- Libraries
- Employment
- Schools
- Accommodation
- Places of Worship
- Health, Personal, and Wellness Services
- Post-secondary institutions (including residences and cafeterias)

because they aren't covered under the provincial restrictions. What does he think is essential that they're being denied (if unvaccinated)?

All city rec facilities and arenas were already doing the REP, which prompted a whole whack of sport organizations (including Hockey Calgary) to adopt their vaccination policies since otherwise you might be able to play a game in one arena, but not another. Now it's just a blanket rule across the city.

What this bylaw does is remove the ambiguity of the provincial REP, and take away the opt-in option. It opts everybody in, and therefore gives municipal peace officers the ability to enforce it.

Also, it's cute that he is using 'establishment politicians' defensively. But it's sad that people will buy it. What is an establishment politician if not somebody who gets into politics as a teenager into a political think tank set up by a career politician who was the son of a career politician and then runs for politics at 22 using tactics set out by said organization?
Roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Roughneck For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 10:58 AM   #2545
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

If voting for Gondek is voting for Nenshi again, she has my vote. Someone similar to Nenshi, but not Nenshi, is just what I was looking for.

I did vote for Nenshi every time he ran for mayor and thought he did a great job. I just think he's had enough and that's clearly becoming apparent in what he's saying now. He's made a few comments over the past couple years where I agreed with the sentiment, but not the delivery. So while I don't agree with change for change's sake, I do think it's time for someone new, with a similar vision.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Amethyst For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 11:20 AM   #2546
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Why do most of the pro-Farkas comments on social media all have that same kind of “he’s not afraid to speak up, he’s got my vote!” quality about them. You never hear anybody say something intelligent about his candidacy or qualifications.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 12:01 PM   #2547
81MC
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Why do most of the pro-Farkas comments on social media all have that same kind of “he’s not afraid to speak up, he’s got my vote!” quality about them. You never hear anybody say something intelligent about his candidacy or qualifications.
I feel like some people really confuse ‘calls a spade a spade’, ‘shoots from the hip’, ‘says what’s in their mind’ and ‘worthy of being listened to’.
Old 09-25-2021, 01:45 PM   #2548
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Does it remind you of what supporters of a certain divisive American politician used to parrot?

Farkas is a populist, he's not campaigning on his qualifications.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #2549
craigwd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My favorite Farkas "policy" is that he'should 100% against any sort od spending on arts and culture but always manages to shoehorn the issue into some kind of question about "why aren't we helping indigenous artists ?"
craigwd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 10:27 AM   #2550
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

My favorite is career politicians acting like they are the pro-business choice (Farkas, Kenney).

With Farkas especially, his resume of relevant experience includes babysitter for his younger cousins as a youth, studying Israel a whole bunch for some reason, and 4 years of grandstanding and voting "no" on everything... In descending order of relevance.

This is the guy that is going to run a city of 1.3M people and an annual budget of almost $4B???
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 10:32 AM   #2551
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Does the mayor run the city though? Of course they're the public face of things, but in reality, many unelected positions have far greater influence on how things are run, and the mayor is basically an at-large councillor, with no more say than any of the other fourteen.

I think most people would say that Mayor Nenshi was a successful mayor, especially early on in his eleven year tenure, but if you were listening closely to what his goals were back in the summer of 2010, he's been successful in achieving almost none of them, despite being incredibly popular. He just couldn't seem to get seven other votes for any of the big stuff.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 11:06 AM   #2552
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaErtz View Post
Does the mayor run the city though? Of course they're the public face of things, but in reality, many unelected positions have far greater influence on how things are run, and the mayor is basically an at-large councillor, with no more say than any of the other fourteen.

I think most people would say that Mayor Nenshi was a successful mayor, especially early on in his eleven year tenure, but if you were listening closely to what his goals were back in the summer of 2010, he's been successful in achieving almost none of them, despite being incredibly popular. He just couldn't seem to get seven other votes for any of the big stuff.
You're right. We should all elect the least experienced, biggest tool of the top 3 candidates. Farkas it is. And yes the bureaucrats run the show, but the City Manager is appointed by Council, and reports to them.

Didn't Nenshi run largely on developers paying their "fair share" and enabling secondary suites?

I though bylaws were passed to improve the pool of units available for suites, and to levy developers for wastewater and treatment infrastructure.

Last edited by Bill Bumface; 09-26-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bill Bumface For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 11:10 AM   #2553
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thank you for saying it. The mayor doesn’t run the city; the CAO does. It bothers me when candidates make promises such as, “I’ll reduce taxes,” and “I’ll cut crime.” It shows ignorance or arrogance.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 11:54 AM   #2554
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Really? I wrote 3 of his "twelve better ideas for Calgary" and it seems to me as soon as campaign finance changes were made, he achieved to a pretty high degree, all twelve original platform items.

Better Idea #1 Calgary will be a city where secondary suites provide a safe and legal option for affordable housing

Took until 2017, but done. Thousands of units have been converted to legal and brought to code since.

Better Idea #2 Improve the audit system and bring more transparency to City Hall

Inarguably, the audit system is way, way stronger at the City now due to his leadership.

Better Idea #3 Calgary will be the best place in Canada to start and grow a business

Did the cut red tape initiative, we have the Business and Local Economy Team embedded in the City Manager's Office, which is having good effect. Business Advisory Committee, etc. Soooo many processes are better, including supply/procurement, planning and building approvals. We've gone from achieving approval timelines only about 35% of the time, to over 85%, for instance.

Better Idea #4 Convenient and quick access to the airport

This was about Airport Tunnel and a BRT to Airport, both of which happened.

Better Idea #5 Calgary Transit must be a preferred choice for Calgarians

This included promise to remove the $3 park-and-ride charge, create a Transit Riders Advisory Group, and leveraging technology to improve (real time arrival, etc) to improve rider experience.

Also promised a new long term plan for Transit, which happened through RouteAhead. He also talked about the need for cross town and more BRT (MAX BRT system) and realigning North LRT to Centre Street from Nose Creek, which also happened.

Better Idea #6 Political campaigns should be about the best ideas and not the most money

He lobbied every Premier to change Campaign Finance Rules. Finally Kenney's did (but unfortunately did leave door open to third party money).

Better Idea #7 Calgary will be a city of sustainable, walkable, livable, complete communities

A lot of this one was about increasing suburban development levies and reducing subsidy, complete community design, increased intensification - steady progress in the last 11 years. In 2010, more than 100% of growth was happening in greenfield, existing communities were dropping population, now we've had steady growth in downtown and the inner city (though older 70s-90s burbs are still offsetting that gain with population loss, though a much more difficult issue to resolve given their designs).

Better Idea #8 City Council will be more transparent, more efficient, and easier for citizens to access and engage

This one included video minutes, alternative ways to conduct public hearings and publishing council expenses. All of which has happened.

Better Idea #9 Calgarians will be able to get around easily by any mode of transportation

Got a new transit strategy, BRT and Green Line underway, Cycling Strategy and Cycle Tracks and commensurate increase in cycling, Pedestrian Strategy and increased investment into the mode. Helped enable SWRR, built a lot of transportation infrastructure, including Crow/Bow improvements, 162nd, Glenmore/Ogden, North Stoney Interchanges, Bowfort Interchange, Airport Trail Interchanges, etc. Doubled the snow removal budget, and implemented things like restricted parking policies for snow events.

Better Idea #10 Calgary will reduce the number of people living in poverty and ensure opportunity for all

Achieved getting the poverty reduction strategy and working with provincial and federal partners on poverty reduction. Low income transit pass, Fair entry. All big steps.

Better Idea #11 Calgary will be a city where every neighbourhood is a safe neighbourhood

Increasing community policing strategies, partnership models. Recent example of this is Stephen Ave Safety Hub.

Better Idea #12 Calgary will be a City where its citizens are enriched by outstanding libraries, recreation amenities, and a vibrant cultural scene

Getting Central Library and more branches was central to this promise. Generational investments in libraries and major rec centres, cultural facilities like National Music Centre and Arts Commons and others like arena and BMO

I mean you can argue the degree to which he achieved each of these, but from first hand experience I know he was laser focused on trying to live up to all twelve (and the new challenges that came along during the tumultuous decade).

Last edited by Bunk; 09-26-2021 at 12:13 PM.
Bunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:45 PM   #2555
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can someone please advise on how Farkas and Gondek voted on the arena deal. Thanks
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2021, 12:51 PM   #2556
MegaErtz
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Farkas was unquestionably the biggest opponent to the arena deal, voted against it both times. The only thing I can give him credit for (at all, in his entire four years on council) was his appeal for a proper period of public consultation.

Gondek voted for it in 2019 but against it in 2021.
MegaErtz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MegaErtz For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 12:52 PM   #2557
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
Can someone please advise on how Farkas and Gondek voted on the arena deal. Thanks
Farkas was a no (of course, it's all he knows. Granted I agree with him on that one)

Gondek voted yes originally but opposes it now after some of the changes
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to btimbit For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2021, 05:53 PM   #2558
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunk View Post
Really? I wrote 3 of his "twelve better ideas for Calgary" and it seems to me as soon as campaign finance changes were made, he achieved to a pretty high degree, all twelve original platform items.

Better Idea #1 Calgary will be a city where secondary suites provide a safe and legal option for affordable housing

Took until 2017, but done. Thousands of units have been converted to legal and brought to code since.

Better Idea #2 Improve the audit system and bring more transparency to City Hall

Inarguably, the audit system is way, way stronger at the City now due to his leadership.

Better Idea #3 Calgary will be the best place in Canada to start and grow a business

Did the cut red tape initiative, we have the Business and Local Economy Team embedded in the City Manager's Office, which is having good effect. Business Advisory Committee, etc. Soooo many processes are better, including supply/procurement, planning and building approvals. We've gone from achieving approval timelines only about 35% of the time, to over 85%, for instance.

Better Idea #4 Convenient and quick access to the airport

This was about Airport Tunnel and a BRT to Airport, both of which happened.

Better Idea #5 Calgary Transit must be a preferred choice for Calgarians

This included promise to remove the $3 park-and-ride charge, create a Transit Riders Advisory Group, and leveraging technology to improve (real time arrival, etc) to improve rider experience.

Also promised a new long term plan for Transit, which happened through RouteAhead. He also talked about the need for cross town and more BRT (MAX BRT system) and realigning North LRT to Centre Street from Nose Creek, which also happened.

Better Idea #6 Political campaigns should be about the best ideas and not the most money

He lobbied every Premier to change Campaign Finance Rules. Finally Kenney's did (but unfortunately did leave door open to third party money).

Better Idea #7 Calgary will be a city of sustainable, walkable, livable, complete communities

A lot of this one was about increasing suburban development levies and reducing subsidy, complete community design, increased intensification - steady progress in the last 11 years. In 2010, more than 100% of growth was happening in greenfield, existing communities were dropping population, now we've had steady growth in downtown and the inner city (though older 70s-90s burbs are still offsetting that gain with population loss, though a much more difficult issue to resolve given their designs).

Better Idea #8 City Council will be more transparent, more efficient, and easier for citizens to access and engage

This one included video minutes, alternative ways to conduct public hearings and publishing council expenses. All of which has happened.

Better Idea #9 Calgarians will be able to get around easily by any mode of transportation

Got a new transit strategy, BRT and Green Line underway, Cycling Strategy and Cycle Tracks and commensurate increase in cycling, Pedestrian Strategy and increased investment into the mode. Helped enable SWRR, built a lot of transportation infrastructure, including Crow/Bow improvements, 162nd, Glenmore/Ogden, North Stoney Interchanges, Bowfort Interchange, Airport Trail Interchanges, etc. Doubled the snow removal budget, and implemented things like restricted parking policies for snow events.

Better Idea #10 Calgary will reduce the number of people living in poverty and ensure opportunity for all

Achieved getting the poverty reduction strategy and working with provincial and federal partners on poverty reduction. Low income transit pass, Fair entry. All big steps.

Better Idea #11 Calgary will be a city where every neighbourhood is a safe neighbourhood

Increasing community policing strategies, partnership models. Recent example of this is Stephen Ave Safety Hub.

Better Idea #12 Calgary will be a City where its citizens are enriched by outstanding libraries, recreation amenities, and a vibrant cultural scene

Getting Central Library and more branches was central to this promise. Generational investments in libraries and major rec centres, cultural facilities like National Music Centre and Arts Commons and others like arena and BMO

I mean you can argue the degree to which he achieved each of these, but from first hand experience I know he was laser focused on trying to live up to all twelve (and the new challenges that came along during the tumultuous decade).
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to D as in David For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 08:45 AM   #2559
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

Outgoing Ward 12 councillor issues cease and desist letter to candidate

https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...r-to-candidate

Quote:
Keating confirmed to Postmedia Monday that his office has sent the cease and desist letter to Ward 12 council candidate Craig Chandler, accusing him of spreading false information to residents at doorsteps and in phone calls.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bigtime For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 09:26 AM   #2560
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
“It’s time for change”
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chu , farkas , farkasisgreat