Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-24-2021, 09:03 PM   #41
BKQ
Draft Pick

1 fed election done
2 meng not guilty
3 2 michaels go home

it is just a show, F Law & Order
BKQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 09:13 PM   #42
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

So a bunch of you were crapping on the government for not getting them released and now another bunch of you are saying they had nothing to do with the release. So did they have the power or didn’t they?
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2021, 09:16 PM   #43
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Soooo…to everyone who jumped to conclusions so early, how’s that crow taste? Hopefully pretty sweet because the only thing that matters is The Michaels are coming home.

It’s interesting how she can plead not guilty, have those charges dropped, then basically agree that she’s guilty.

Quote:
Appearing in a New York court by video on Friday morning, the chief financial officer for tech giant Huawei formally pleaded not guilty to four charges of conspiracy, bank and wire fraud.

However, she also told the U.S. court she agreed with a statement of facts that said she and Huawei had falsely represented its business activities in Iran to the investment bank HSBC, and that those activities were in violation of American sanctions against doing business in Iran.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 10:46 PM   #44
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurnaceFace View Post
Soooo…to everyone who jumped to conclusions so early, how’s that crow taste? Hopefully pretty sweet because the only thing that matters is The Michaels are coming home.
Short term gain, long term pain.

If you think placating kidnappers is all that matters, then don’t be surprised if that becomes the defacto method.

Lastly, folks need to understand our word and meaning to the word truth, is not the same for China. For them Truth is what those in power say it is, regardless of fact. This woman broke the law and because of a criminal government is walking free. Its a sad sad day for rules based democracy.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 07:51 AM   #45
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

They touched Canadian soil here in Calgary this morning. Two RCAF Challenger jets got them, fuel stop in Anchorage and they landed around 6am.

Last edited by Bigtime; 09-25-2021 at 08:03 AM.
Bigtime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:03 AM   #46
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, great news. I can only imagine how they and their families feel today
Old 09-25-2021, 08:12 AM   #47
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Awesome, I'm happy that they're home no matter the cost. Sitting in Chinese custody for 1000 days cannot be good for their physical and mental health. I hope there is help made available to them.

At the same time, China just admitted that they are completely willing to go there in terms of hostage negotiations, and the Western World needs to either encourage their citizens to leave China, or be ready to see this happen whenever it works for the Chinese.

I still think that at this point, Canada should either be looking at withdrawing from the Olympics, (for more reasons then this). Or at the very least refusing to take part in anything but the athletics. No receptions, no open ceremonies or closing ceremonies, and our political delegation should be made up of Joey the office intern, and Ralph that cross eyed dude from the mail room. No smiling pictures of Canadian high level officials arm and arm with Chinese officials.

Any dime that would go to China from the Infrastructure side of things should be diverted to other Asian nations, and we should be encouraging other nations to jump in and compete to replace China's consumer goods here.

Also Canada needs to stop ragging the puck on Huawei and shut them down on 5G and on access to our universities. If they want to sell their crappy tablets and phones fine, but that's where it should end.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #48
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's good to have the Michaels back. Unfortunately, as China's influence grows and the West's dims, I anticipate even more of this type of blatant bullying.

If you're not a fan of this of behaviour, every time you're out shopping, make the conscious effort to read the place of manufacture and if the item says Made In China, put it back and buy something built elsewhere. Ideally Canada, but Korea, Japan, India, USA, Europe, whatever. Yes, it will cost more. Yes, it's no longer always possible to avoid Chinese products. But when you have the choice, put your money elsewhere. Our politicians and business leaders sold out a long time ago, but us peons as a collective can still exert a little bit of influence.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:41 AM   #49
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
They touched Canadian soil here in Calgary this morning. Two RCAF Challenger jets got them, fuel stop in Anchorage and they landed around 6am.
That's weird. There aren't commercial flights? Why would we send challenger jets to get them?
Knightslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:56 AM   #50
edslunch
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightslayer View Post
That's weird. There aren't commercial flights? Why would we send challenger jets to get them?

Nothing says welcome home after 1000 days like giving them economy tickets with 3 stopovers.
edslunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to edslunch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 09:01 AM   #51
Canada 02
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canada 02 View Post
G&M got that wrong
Canada 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:03 AM   #52
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by edslunch View Post
Nothing says welcome home after 1000 days like giving them economy tickets with 3 stopovers.
Meh, one was actively promoting North Korea and getting paid to promote a place with a long list of human rights violations. A place where people are in jail a lot longer than 1000 days and are tortured as well. Personally wouldn't have sent a jet to get him but that's just me.
Old 09-25-2021, 09:13 AM   #53
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Meh, one was actively promoting North Korea and getting paid to promote a place with a long list of human rights violations. A place where people are in jail a lot longer than 1000 days and are tortured as well. Personally wouldn't have sent a jet to get him but that's just me.
Wow, two guys are blatantly used as political pawns and have a few years of their lives taken away, and there are still people who with no sympathy.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 09-25-2021, 09:20 AM   #54
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've always been a big fan of propaganda art.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1441632350434070532

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 09:42 AM   #55
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Wow, two guys are blatantly used as political pawns and have a few years of their lives taken away, and there are still people who with no sympathy.
Do you have sympathy for the people of North Korea or only the 2 Canadians? One that was responsible for promoting a place with human rights violations and was buddies with a dictator. A dictator that tortures and kills people daily.

One that puts people in jail longer than 1000 days and without a trial.

I'll save my sympathy for someone that deserves it. This has become political. Would these 2 get same support if they were promoting the Taliban?
Old 09-25-2021, 09:55 AM   #56
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have sympathy for the people of North Korea or only the 2 Canadians? One that was responsible for promoting a place with human rights violations and was buddies with a dictator. A dictator that tortures and kills people daily.

I'll save my sympathy for someone that deserves it. This has become political. Would these 2 get same support if they were promoting the Taliban?
Why not both? I don’t think that I have a limited amount of sympathy that I can spend on peoples terrible situations. Your red herring examples (and I don’t even know how true the comments about promoting North Korea are), are just meaningless.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:10 AM   #57
Knightslayer
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
Why not both? I don’t think that I have a limited amount of sympathy that I can spend on peoples terrible situations. Your red herring examples (and I don’t even know how true the comments about promoting North Korea are), are just meaningless.
If they are true, would you feel different? If Spavor did do business promoting North Korea how would that make you feel?
Old 09-25-2021, 10:16 AM   #58
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If they are true, would you feel different? If Spavor did do business promoting North Korea how would that make you feel?
It’s fine with me. The two are not connected. If he did business with North Korea, he doesn’t deserve to be imprisoned as a pawn by the Chinese for three years.
Old 09-25-2021, 10:30 AM   #59
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
It's good to have the Michaels back. Unfortunately, as China's influence grows and the West's dims, I anticipate even more of this type of blatant bullying.

If you're not a fan of this of behaviour, every time you're out shopping, make the conscious effort to read the place of manufacture and if the item says Made In China, put it back and buy something built elsewhere. Ideally Canada, but Korea, Japan, India, USA, Europe, whatever. Yes, it will cost more. Yes, it's no longer always possible to avoid Chinese products. But when you have the choice, put your money elsewhere. Our politicians and business leaders sold out a long time ago, but us peons as a collective can still exert a little bit of influence.
This is the answer 110%. Stop buying Chinese.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 10:37 AM   #60
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

Become? It was political from the start. What the hell are you on about?

North Korea? Seriously wtf? We were talking about Canadian political prisoners taking a jet home.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote