Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2010, 09:01 AM   #1
Rhettzky
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Fallout: New Vegas

Was going to wait to start this thread because the game doesn't come out until September but there is a lot of new information about it coming out this week.

Teaser Trailer

Some screenshots released on the official site. (12 in Total) Here

*Note: Full size pictures available at the link above.*

Then IGN released a 3 pager on some of the details of the game. Here

Quote:
A new Hardcore mode, tweaked combat, weapon mods, gambling, and a game world as big as Fallout 3 are just a few of the things fans will be raving about up to and beyond the release of this next entrant into the much-loved game series.
Video Interview with Developer

This week they announced what would be included in the special edition of the game. Here

Quote:
In addition to including the highly anticipated game, this premium version of Fallout: New Vegas also includes the game-inspired items below:
♠ "Lucky 7" poker chips.
♠ A fully customized Fallout: New Vegas deck of cards.
♠ A recreation of the game's highly coveted "Lucky 38" platinum chip.
♠ A hardcover graphic novel "All Roads", that tells the story of some of the characters and events that lead up to Fallout: New Vegas.
♠ 'The Making of Fallout: New Vegas' DVD.
Fallout: New Vegas Homepage
Old 05-13-2010, 11:26 AM   #2
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sweet! That reminds me, I still have to finish Fallout 3...
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

hopefully the main story is better than Fallout 3. a lot of the side quests were great, but the main story was super quick and super lame
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2010, 03:22 PM   #4
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

I thought the story in Fallout 3 was pretty good - but the game got too easy IMO. It was just like Oblivion - by the end of the game you were a master of absolutely everything and nearly unstoppable.

Also the level cap was too low - if you did all the sidequests in Fallout 3 you hit the cap well before the last few quests.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm excited about this. It apparently has over a 100 hours of gameplay on a single playthrough, so that is damn fine work by Obsidian.

For people who are unaware, this game is being developed by the original creaters of FO1 and 2, Obsidian, NOT Bathesda. They are just publishing it.
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 04:47 PM   #6
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
I'm excited about this. It apparently has over a 100 hours of gameplay on a single playthrough, so that is damn fine work by Obsidian.

For people who are unaware, this game is being developed by the original creaters of FO1 and 2, Obsidian, NOT Bathesda. They are just publishing it.
Obsidian did not create FO1 and FO2. Fallout was created by Black Isle Studios and published by Interplay. Obsidian does have several founding members of Black Isle Studios working for them however.

I loved FO1 and FO2. I even love Oblivion. Fallout 3 however, did not do it for me. It felt terrible, tiny, like some bad fan mod.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 05-13-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Obsidian did not create FO1 and FO2. Fallout was created by Black Isle Studios and published by Interplay. Obsidian does have several founding members of Black Isle Studios working for them however.

I loved FO1 and FO2. I even love Oblivion. Fallout 3 however, did not do it for me. It felt terrible, tiny, like some bad fan mod.
Sorry that's what I meant. A lot of members went on and started up Obsidian, aka the original makers are working on this one.
Old 05-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #8
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Interesting, I am very far from a gamer these days but I did end up playing and enjoying fallout 3. I'm not really interested in a really difficult game and fallout 3 occupied me for a couple of months. Hopefully this game is similar to fallout 3.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 06:17 PM   #9
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

Isn't this just a fallout 3 expansion or is it a totally new game.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 07:29 PM   #10
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto-matic View Post
Isn't this just a fallout 3 expansion or is it a totally new game.
No it is a totally new game. Obsidian has said there will be like 80-100 hours of new content.

If they had that, plus 5 add-ons like FO3 did, that'd be sweeet.

It uses the exact same engine and almost everything from Fallout 3, except Obsidian has added a bunch of new features (like the companion wheel, etc.), and weapons, and I think you can upgrade weapons now.
Old 05-16-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I still have to finish the game, and I think grab one or two more bobble heads. My character is super powerful, scoping from a distance and shotgunning up close. I could go straight to the story and probably finish in a few hours.

I just have to finish Uncharted 2, Assassins Creed 2, Super Mario (wii), Modern Warfare 1 and 2, Metal Gear (PS3) and a few more. I think I need a moratorium on buying new games.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 01:11 AM   #12
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
I still have to finish the game, and I think grab one or two more bobble heads. My character is super powerful, scoping from a distance and shotgunning up close. I could go straight to the story and probably finish in a few hours.

I just have to finish Uncharted 2, Assassins Creed 2, Super Mario (wii), Modern Warfare 1 and 2, Metal Gear (PS3) and a few more. I think I need a moratorium on buying new games.
Having played all those games (minus Super Mario). I would suggest the following order:
1. Assassin's Creed 2
2. Fallout 3
3. MW1
4. Metal Gear
5. MW2
6. Uncharted 2

Trust me.

I need to get 2 more achievements then I am 1550/1550, hack 50 terminals (will take forever!) and find all the audiobooks on the alien ship (I screwed up )
Old 05-16-2010, 08:23 AM   #13
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

Alien ship??? Doh! Looks like I won't have to play that game anymore!!!

Last edited by Nage Waza; 05-16-2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Ooops
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nage Waza View Post
Alien ship??? Doh! Looks like I won't have to play that game anymore!!!
Depends if you got the Game of The Year Edition, which includes the Mothership Zeta DLC.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:36 PM   #15
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I wish they would move on from the Gamebyro engine, the game just doesn't look very good
Old 05-16-2010, 03:29 PM   #16
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I wish they would move on from the Gamebyro engine, the game just doesn't look very good
It doesn't look bad but it does look a bit dated now. Either way, everyone should be using id's new engine. Rage looks effing awesome.
Old 05-16-2010, 05:44 PM   #17
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
It doesn't look bad but it does look a bit dated now. Either way, everyone should be using id's new engine. Rage looks effing awesome.
except that id engines have traditionally been complete pigs, taking even the most powerful machines to their knees. i'm more looking forward to the next engine Valve does, as it'll probably look almost as good, but run 10x better on mid-range systems
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:00 PM   #18
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Cryengine 2 is still the best one on offering right now. It's too bad Cryengine 3 will be worse graphically because it's catered to consoles. I don't care if an engine takes a system to it's knees. Affordable technology usually catches up within a year. The whole idea that engines need to be lower denominator and catered to the masses is holding back innovation and improvement. I admit, gameplay will always be great in certain games but some nice eyecandy and huge advances in hyper realism never hurt.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:36 PM   #19
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Cryengine 2 is still the best one on offering right now. It's too bad Cryengine 3 will be worse graphically because it's catered to consoles. I don't care if an engine takes a system to it's knees. Affordable technology usually catches up within a year. The whole idea that engines need to be lower denominator and catered to the masses is holding back innovation and improvement. I admit, gameplay will always be great in certain games but some nice eyecandy and huge advances in hyper realism never hurt.
The graphics for Crysis for the consoles still look top notch.

Computer graphics will always be better than consoles, but that is the beauty of consoles, they last 6+ years for $400.

id's new engine employs something which makes one level have 1 giant texture or something. It is quite cool.

Valve really needs a new engine, the graphics for L4D and L4D2 are pretty mediocre, like really mediocre. My guess is that the new engine will come out with Half-Life 3.
Old 05-16-2010, 06:49 PM   #20
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
The graphics for Crysis for the consoles still look top notch.

Computer graphics will always be better than consoles, but that is the beauty of consoles, they last 6+ years for $400.

id's new engine employs something which makes one level have 1 giant texture or something. It is quite cool.

Valve really needs a new engine, the graphics for L4D and L4D2 are pretty mediocre, like really mediocre. My guess is that the new engine will come out with Half-Life 3.
It's always better to have a powerful advanced engine that scales down versus an old and limited engine that cannot scale up.

IDtech 5 does neccessarily make one level have one giant texture. It allows 20GB of texture data and 128000x128000 pixel textures as a maximum limit but it does not paint the entire level with one texture, merely allowing for large volumes of high resolution texture data that can be streamed at highspeed if developers want to. You are thinking of Megatexture which was featured in QuakeWars which indeed use one large texture although it was pretty ugly sometimes. The new Virtual Texturing is based on that and is capable of the same implementation but not required.

Cryengine 3 and Crysis 2 looks pretty bad on consoles so far.

http://s3-llnw-screenshots.wegame.co...2729449577.jpg

http://s3-llnw-screenshots.wegame.co...0272225600.jpg

This is what Cryengine 2 looks like

http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?op...d=840&Itemid=1

http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?op...d=826&Itemid=1

http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?op...d=791&Itemid=2

http://www.incrysis.com/index.php?op...d=768&Itemid=2

There are too many amazing screenshots for me to even choose a favorite to post here.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 03-23-2011 at 05:16 PM.

Tags
fallout , new vegas