Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-22-2010, 12:11 PM   #1
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Home networking router/splitter

I didn't want to de rail the router isp thread so I thought I would make a new one. So I bought a new home and it has Ethernet being pre ran into everyroom. There is 10 lines in total. I also have 2 other lines I need to be connected into and Want at least one or 2 more for when I develope my basement. I can always disconnect a couple useless ones that I wont ever need but I would say 12 to have everything wired in would be the number I am looking for.

I have a Dlink dir-655 which only has 4 slots in it. Is the simplest way to just buy a ethernet switch? Which usually has 8 slots to cover everything I need? If this is the case how do I know what a good switch is and which isn't they range from 20-400 dollars. I would say only 4 or 5 lines would be in costant use.

Thanks for any help!
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 01:54 PM   #2
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX1657(ME).aspx

I have been using the above switch for some time now. Great revies, works really well and should more than do the trick for you.

They have the same model with 4 ports for like $10 less but hey, why not future proof?

Never a bad idea to have all of your networking equipment from the same manufacturer. D-Link seems to get crapped on a lot but it's the only brand I've ever owned and I have never had a problem. Works VERY nicely with my D-Link Game Lounge router. AWESOME speeds through both.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 01-22-2010 at 01:56 PM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:08 PM   #3
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

I have the exact same switch as GATW. Works just fine for me.

The thing you want to avoid is the temptation to daisy chain a bunch of routers together. Yes, it should work for internet- but if you ever decide to share files or printers (like have your PS3 be able to play movies off your PC's hard drive) it will cause you nothing but headaches.

Plus then you have all ports live- and never have to worry about running downstairs to patch the guest room because somebody is staying in there.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 02:09 PM   #4
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX1657(ME).aspx

I have been using the above switch for some time now. Great revies, works really well and should more than do the trick for you.

They have the same model with 4 ports for like $10 less but hey, why not future proof?

Never a bad idea to have all of your networking equipment from the same manufacturer. D-Link seems to get crapped on a lot but it's the only brand I've ever owned and I have never had a problem. Works VERY nicely with my D-Link Game Lounge router. AWESOME speeds through both.
I just deployed the 5 port version of this switch at a client site, and I thought it seemed like a pretty nice little switch. Good recommendation.
Old 01-22-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

funny enough that was the first one I looked at this morning when I started investigating. I was also thinking of cheaping out and doing the multiple router thing but I don't want to cause any headaches as I am not the best with this kind of stuff. And I will definitly be using it to stream movies as I have 3 ps3's in my house right now for that very reason. Thanks for all your help guys now I just need to find a good deal on one!
Old 01-22-2010, 03:19 PM   #6
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

One more question. The switch doesn't have to be located beside a computer does it? I can have it set up with my router and modem which will be in my furnace room?
Old 01-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #7
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

^^ Correct.

The only reason I have my modem and router upstairs is for better wireless range. But then I use the cat5 run going down to the mechanical room where my switch sits, and then the rest of the house gets its feeds from there.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Well you guys should give yourselves a pat on the back for the switch pick. Went to memory express to pick it up and asked what the he would suggest and he picked the exact same model. (only did this because I forgot the model number on the way there) Plugged it in scared me at first it didn't seem to work but after 10 mins it kicked in and there is now internet in every room of my house!
Old 01-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #9
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\/\

Lol, sorry, forgot to mention that part. I had the same thing happen when I first plugged mine in. Took a few mins for it to get rolling. I was also expecting a uplink port like you would find in a router but nope, just 8 ports. Connect the incominng line from the router to any of them I'm sure.

Having a setup like that is pretty sweet, eh? I'm assuming you live in a newer home?

I can't wait till I can get in a newer home and have all networking equipment in the basement and a wired connection in every room. Pure awesomesauce!
Old 01-25-2010, 02:13 PM   #10
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

My house came with ethernet in every room, and when we redeveloped the basement, I went a bit crazy and put three in each room in the basement. But I don't regret it.

Whether you're streaming to your PS3 or doing some heavy-duty file sharing between computers, having a hardwired connection is tough to beat. I have wifi as well, which is great for browsing around on the web sans cords.

Also - that switch that you picked up - we have one here at work that serves a couple of workstations and printers, and it does its job perfectly. Regarding the lack of an uplink port - you're right - any port will do. The router assigns the IP addresses and the switch just redirects traffic to where it has to go.
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 02:37 PM   #11
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

/\/\/\/\

Agreed 100% If you can get every room in the house setup for wired network connections, you're in great shape. Wireless is fine for laptops browsing the net and email but that's the only reason I would ever have it.

Question: I haven't really messed around much with switches as I have only recently needed to start expanding my network. Is there a limit on how many switches you can use? As an example, say you had 6 rooms and each had 1 ethernet jack but each room had 2 or more devices you wanted to connect, could you drop a switch in each room?
Old 01-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #12
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yup, you can cascade up to 3 switches I think. I've got a switch in my furnace room for the whole house, then I have a switch in my media cabinet for my consoles and players.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think there is a limit to the number of switches that you can use. Even if there is, I doubt that you'd reach the theoretical limit in a home application.
Old 01-25-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Even if there is, I doubt that you'd reach the theoretical limit in a home application.
Is that a challenge?
Old 01-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #15
sclitheroe
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Stang View Post
Don't quote me on this, but I don't think there is a limit to the number of switches that you can use. Even if there is, I doubt that you'd reach the theoretical limit in a home application.
Cisco recommends not going beyond a depth of 4, I think. In a home scenario though, you'd be fanning out to a max depth of two - one master switch (say 16 ports), and a smaller switch (say 4 ports) in each room.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:26 PM   #16
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think this question was answered in this thread. Can I use the following configuration?

Modem --> Switch --> Router?

I want the modem and the switch in the basement because that is where the Cat5 for the house is but I want the router hidden in the bonus room for the best wireless coverage, it has been spotty in the basement.
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #17
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sclitheroe View Post
Cisco recommends not going beyond a depth of 4, I think. In a home scenario though, you'd be fanning out to a max depth of two - one master switch (say 16 ports), and a smaller switch (say 4 ports) in each room.
This is correct - depth of 4 is what Cisco recoomends. If they arent managed I wouldnt do more than a depth of 2 for home switches.

It should work but you would have an issue with media streaming etc. Normal internet use shouldnt be a problem.

At work we chain 6 48 port manged procurve switches.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #18
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
I don't think this question was answered in this thread. Can I use the following configuration?

I want the modem and the switch in the basement because that is where the Cat5 for the house is but I want the router hidden in the bonus room for the best wireless coverage, it has been spotty in the basement.
The main things to keep in mind are anything plugged into the switch (a wired computer in another room, for example) won't get any of the benefits of behind behind the router (firewall, getting a local IP address on your network, file sharing with your other computers, etc.).

The computers plugged into the switch are outside of your network, for all intents and purposes. If you don't have any other computers and/or have no need to share files between them, this won't both you. Just keep in mind that you've only got the Windows built-in firewall between you and the big, bad internet if you're not behind your router.

Edit: Another option, if you want to keep everything on the same network, is to have a router in the basement and then a wireless access point in the bonus room, plugged into the main router. Most routers, even a cheap one, will let you use it in access point mode. Basically it'll let you connect to it (and your network), but it won't start trying to hand out IP addresses, etc. like a router normally would.

Last edited by Jimmy Stang; 02-11-2010 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:38 PM   #19
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post

The router being a layer 3 device is what gives out your home (192.168.X.X or 10.X etc) ip addresses. Putting the switch before the router means you would get IP from your ISP so if you only get whatever ips your isp allows, normally 1 or 2.

What I have is modem-switch-router-switch - the first switch is good for torrenting and testing dmz type stuff.

Remember a 4 port with uplink router is a switch, its just a home version of a router. Commercial routers dont have built in switches.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 04:01 PM   #20
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

**edit**
mykalberta beat me to it