Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2020, 07:51 AM   #2081
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matata View Post
The Panama papers made it pretty clear everyone with lots of money is trying to hide it from the taxman.

Here's a mental exercise for you.

You earn $10B dollars. But you can get away with claiming $7B on taxes and hide $3B in offshore accounts, allowing you to avoid ~$1B in taxes. Do you

A. Keep the $1B you earned for yourself. Theres no punishment even if you get caught.
B. Give it to the government.

What percent of people do you think pick B over A? Can you really believe Gates will be one of those people, if so, I'd love to hear your reasoning, or are you just interested in arguing semantics based on an extremely unlikely scenario?
So if Gates picks A, that makes him a predator? Does it make him a bad person? In either A or B, is he paying 3+ Billion in tax? I don't see your point in any of this.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:03 AM   #2082
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
So if Gates picks A, that makes him a predator? Does it make him a bad person? In either A or B, is he paying 3+ Billion in tax? I don't see your point in any of this.

I guess instead of just walking back the “Gates is a pedophile” accusation, it turned into “people as rich as Gates try to avoid taxes.”
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 09:05 AM   #2083
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
I guess instead of just walking back the “Gates is a pedophile” accusation, it turned into “people as rich as Gates try to avoid taxes.”
One could infer from this line of reasoning that Tax-cheats are Pedophiles?

Well I'm glad we've wrapped this up then. With a neat little Bow on top and everything.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2020, 02:22 PM   #2084
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Panama papers made it pretty clear everyone with any money is trying to hide it from the taxman, ex wife, local municipality and anyone else that wants a piece of it.

You earn $10B dollars. But you can get away with claiming $7B on taxes and hide $3B in offshore accounts, allowing you to avoid ~$1B in taxes. Do you

A. Keep the $1B you earned for yourself. Theres no punishment even if you get caught.

What percent of people do you think pick B over A? Can you really believe Gates or almost anyone else will be one of those people, if so, I'd love to hear your reasoning, or are you just interested in arguing semantics based on an extremely unlikely scenario?
fyp
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 03:47 PM   #2085
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they are doing what is allowed under law, then I can't fault them too much I guess.

If they are going against the law, or are purposely exploiting loopholes that are against the intent of law if not outright illegal, then I certainly do fault them. Not as much as I fault the system that lets them get away with it though.

Doing something that is technically not illegal doesn't mean it is morally the right thing to do. I mean, most billionaires pretty much factor in how much they have to pay in taxes when they decide how big of a salary to reward themselves or how much to charge for their products/services. But if I am being 100% honest, I don't know how I would act in a similar position. I can't say I am a saint either, but I would like to think that I would stay grounded in my beliefs.
Old 07-06-2020, 04:07 PM   #2086
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The Panama papers made it pretty clear everyone with lots of money is trying to hide it from the taxman.

What percent of people do you think pick B over A? Can you really believe Gates will be one of those people, if so, I'd love to hear your reasoning, or are you just interested in arguing semantics based on an extremely unlikely scenario?
Meaningless hypothetical dichotomies don't really meet your burden of proof in claiming that Bill Gates is illegally hiding money in offshore accounts. There are also legitimate reasons that people and organizations do use offshore accounts, the publishers of the Panama Papers even state that.

But hey, you do you, if you keep it up I'm sure Rio Tinto's stock price should start improving soon enough.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:15 PM   #2087
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I hope he wants to make the world a better place but I wont hang my hat on it.

To get things back on track: https://www.nytimes.com/2019/10/12/b...ill-gates.html
Dude. You know you can upgrade your computer from Windows ME right?
Old 07-06-2020, 06:15 PM   #2088
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
Dude. You know you can upgrade your computer from Windows ME right?

I almost blocked out that abomination.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:31 PM   #2089
Sluggo
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Twitch Streamers: A Warning

So where to start? I was shook up last night by things I saw online that involved Twitch and YouTube gaming channel personalities. I was shocked to the point where I barely got any sleep and the kicker is none of this involved me as I was only a passive observer.

Due to work circumstances, I cannot always watch Twitch streams live so I have a backlog of streams that I catch up on when my time and internet connection permit. The main set of streams I watch involve sets of internet personalities from Twitch many of whom cut their teeth on Youtube that collaborate on a set of ongoing interconnected stories which in my opinion is the most engrossing emotional experiences I have seen in my past 25+ years online.

I was finishing up another 3-4 hour video last night and something did not seem quite right, Characters (played by these celebrities) were suddenly removed and other group stories were abruptly ended with loose ends never addressed. It seemed messy and out of character from the story I was accustomed to. I then dug into the Twitch accounts of the players of the removed characters knowing full well I could be spoiled to future event(s) in the story(s) as I was not completely caught up, the decision was extremely hard to make.

I soon discovered that the Twitch channels for these characters many of whom had daily viewership in the high hundreds to the high thousands stopped all activity around a month ago. I then looked their names on google/youtube and discovered a few stories similar to this. One specific streamer/player character was accused by multiple women and children of grooming and or sexual harassment amongst other vile things.

As I said previously I have been around the internet for some time and I am confident that I am over twice the age of these channels average viewership. Many of my friends’ children are likely in these guys’ -I do not say this lightly- target demographic and by searching these forums for “streamer” or “Twitch” I did not find too many results so I figured I would do my good deed of the day and let everybody here know and to double down on monitoring their child's online activities especially during the pandemic.

P.S. If you are wondering why I am being vague about the specific type of game stream this story takes place in, I did not want to taint the seriousness of this topic with the perceived stigma of this game
Spoiler!
Sluggo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sluggo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 08:04 PM   #2090
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

deleted

Last edited by nfotiu; 07-20-2020 at 09:31 PM.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 08:29 PM   #2091
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Deleted

Last edited by GGG; 07-20-2020 at 09:41 PM.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GGG For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 08:40 PM   #2092
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

deleted

Last edited by nfotiu; 07-20-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 08:58 PM   #2093
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/daily-mail/

Quote:
Overall, we rate Daily Mail Right Biased and Questionable due to numerous failed fact checks and poor sourcing of information. In 2017, Wikipedia banned the Daily Mail as an ‘unreliable’ source.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2020, 09:03 PM   #2094
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Also for those that care about comic books

.theverge.com/2020/7/13/21322558/warren-ellis-allegations-forums-emotional-abuse-open-letter
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 09:24 PM   #2095
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
deleted

Last edited by nfotiu; 07-20-2020 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 09:45 PM   #2096
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliche View Post

That seems like one worthy of further discussion.

It didn’t seem like anything was illegal and he wasn’t in a position of power, at least in some traditional sense, where he was a gatekeeper or something. I am confused about the “grooming” comments in the article, it kind of insinuates that underage girls were involved, but the article also says he isn’t do anything illegal.

Is he just a womanizer or is there more to it? He’s kind of like an embodiment of restaurants that only hire attractive women, but yet at the same time he doesn’t have any power to hire, fire, promote, etc.
Old 07-21-2020, 12:38 AM   #2097
calgarybornnraised
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

So Tara Sloan made a post tonight. I don’t know how to link a tweet.

Last edited by calgarybornnraised; 07-21-2020 at 01:31 AM.
calgarybornnraised is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 05:31 AM   #2098
Cliche
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

To link a tweet use the tags [ tweet] and [/ tweet]

what goes in between the 2 tags is the numbers in the twitter link

https://twitter.com/HuffPost/status/1283829542738591746

so just use everything that is bolded (the tweet that is desired to be reposted)
in between the tweet tags. Like the Youtube tag, no spaces.

to easily find the numbers I use the blue bird menu with the this post is not helpful and embed tweet links. the embed tweet link generates the url in the example above.
No instagram embedding.

Last edited by Cliche; 07-21-2020 at 05:38 AM.
Cliche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 09:09 AM   #2099
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1285339514584670214

Burger Records Issues Apology After Multiple Artists and Label Employees Accused of Widespread Sexual Misconduct
Members of SWMRS, Black Lips, the Growlers, the Buttertones, Love Cop, Part Time, Gap Dream, Audacity, Tomorrows Tulips and Cosmonauts all face allegations of sexual misconduct
https://exclaim.ca/music/article/bur...jpj1A7h42IOYNc
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 10:36 AM   #2100
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Things not looking good for Carlson or Hannity.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/20/b...t-lawsuit.html

Quote:

A co-plaintiff, Cathy Areu, a frequent guest on Fox News programs, alleged in the lawsuit that Mr. Henry had harassed her, as well, by sending sexually explicit messages. Ms. Areu also described exchanges with other Fox News stars, including the anchors Tucker Carlson, Sean Hannity and Howard Kurtz, that she called inappropriate and sexually charged.