Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2017, 10:01 AM   #1
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Qnap NAS Users

I know there is a few of you here and I'm hoping one of you can help me out.

What method do you use to share numerous pictures? As far as I can tell, the two ways are creating a shared link in the file manager app or creating a shared album of sorts in the Photo Station App but each has their shortfall.

The Photo Station app does it exactly the way I want it to be done. Sends a link containing thumbnails to all the photos you shared. Your can browse through the thumbnails, double click to open and then left/right arrow your way though the photos as your browse them. Much like you would looking at an album on your local PC. Problem being with this method is you have to add each picture manually (drag and drop) which would be a massive PITA if you are trying to share a few hundred photos of a recent trip. You cant seem to just point the app to an entire folder. Also, it seems to be expecting these pictures to be coming from your PC. Doesn't appear to be any way to drag and drop the pictures you already have stored on your NAS which is kinda dumb.

Using the File Manger app you seem to be able to create a link to a folder but it acts as a bit of a download station. In order to see the full sized photos, people appear to need to download each and every file. Not really ideal.

What's your method?

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 10-25-2017 at 10:07 AM.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 03:57 PM   #2
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Dang
Old 10-28-2017, 09:45 AM   #3
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

I have a Synology but I've never used the built in sharing features like photo sharing, they always feel half baked, I'd rather just go with an online solution. Then if I replace my NAS or it dies I don't have to re-do my photo sharing scheme.
Old 10-29-2017, 11:22 AM   #4
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Half baked is exactly the right way to put it. Just short of being actually very useful. Even posted the same question on the qnap forums and nothing in the way of solutions there either.

Last edited by GoinAllTheWay; 10-29-2017 at 11:31 AM.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:42 AM   #5
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I have a QNAP TS-431.

I would agree that the apps on it are horrible. I still stick to iCloud and Google Photos for sharing them, but I do use the app on my phone to auto upload pics to it.

The only real app I use on it is the Surveillance station, where I have my security cameras record to them. That app is decent.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 12:33 PM   #6
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainReboot View Post
The only real app I use on it is the Surveillance station, where I have my security cameras record to them. That app is decent.
Well thank God for that. I intended to eventually use it for that too but after this fiasco, wasn't sure I'd even bother. What kind of cameras did you buy for it?
Old 11-04-2017, 10:49 PM   #7
CaptainReboot
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Well thank God for that. I intended to eventually use it for that too but after this fiasco, wasn't sure I'd even bother. What kind of cameras did you buy for it?
I have Amcrest cameras, here is one of them: https://www.amazon.ca/Amcrest-ProHD-...ywords=amcrest

You only get a couple of licenses though so you'll need to buy more which sucks. I have two of my cameras just sending the recordings to the NAS by using it as an FTP and that works fine.

EDIT: The software tells you what cameras are compatible, so you'll be stuck with something on that list if you use it. That's how I ended up with Amcrest, as it was available on Amazon. They do work great though.
CaptainReboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainReboot For This Useful Post: