Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-28-2017, 11:18 AM   #1
GP_Matt
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default Streaming Netflix in an RV

I am trying to help my Dad setup a system to stream movies in his trailer.
His TV has HDMI input. There is no internet connection. For the source he downloaded movies from Netflix to his Android Tablet.
Initially he wanted to use Chromecast to push the movies to the tv but there is no internet connection.

I suggested setting up a wifi network without internet in the trailer but further research online seems to show that that won't work.

His tablet (Samsung S2) used to support direct wired connections to an HDMI output but an update to the OS (Nougat) no longer supports this option.

Any thoughts on something he can do to get data from his tablet to the TV?

I can check if the tv has USB input. If so, could he download Netflix shows to USB and push from there?

I am also open to building him a video player from a Raspberry Pi if that will work.

Thanks for the help
GP_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 11:23 AM   #2
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I would probably just use an old computer or laptop and load it with movies and connect via HDMI. That seems like the most simple solution to me.
BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BananaPancakes For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Get a cheap outdated (Kodi Wise) android box for like $20

add an external HD, SD Card, or Flash drive for storage

download from netflix, or "other sources" and load up the storage.

Low power consumption, HDMI out, good quality...that is how we do it for rainy days in RV
Old 09-28-2017, 12:48 PM   #4
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I thought that Netflix only allowed you download to mobile/tablet devices, but apparently you can download via the Windows 10 app: https://help.netflix.com/en/node/54816

I haven't tried this myself, so I'm not sure on the limitations. Because the content will be all tied up in DRM, I doubt you could download to say a USB drive (from some Windows 10 app), then plug it into a Windows 10 PC running in his trailer.

Most likely you would need to take the physical PC, connect it to the Internet and go on a Netflix download spree, then bring that PC into his trailer. A bit of a hassle.

I would take a look and see if you can get the HDMI from the tablet back working. Maybe via downgrading the OS (assuming the tablet is not used for anything critical).
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gottabekd For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 07:58 AM   #5
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have done this before and works well.
WiFi Hotspot, disable mobile data.
Connect chromecast and device to Hotspot network.
Cast and enjoy.
Not sure this still works, or why your search suggests a no internet network won't. I used to do this all the time anyway
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 12:34 PM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
I have done this before and works well.
WiFi Hotspot, disable mobile data.
Connect chromecast and device to Hotspot network.
Cast and enjoy.
Not sure this still works, or why your search suggests a no internet network won't. I used to do this all the time anyway
I tried this while away for my anniversary last year, and it didn't work with mobile data disabled. I didn't spend a lot of time on it, as I had other things to keep me occupied, obviously.

You could setup Plex on the laptop, any one of a number of Plex supported devices that he probably has already,
set Plex to to work without the internet, load up whatever content you wanted and just keep a wireless router plugged in for everything to connect to.

This way it is easy to add extra content as you want, have a simple/cheap interface like a Roku that is plugged into the TV that you can control with a remote.

I did this while I lived in a trailer for 5 weeks last year and I would just download shows from my main Plex server that was at a friends when I was in town for work or what not.

Last edited by Rathji; 10-01-2017 at 12:39 PM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 05:41 PM   #7
Stealth22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Chromecast needs an internet connection in order to work, even with local media?

Huh, TIL...
Stealth22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 09:35 PM   #8
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth22 View Post
Chromecast needs an internet connection in order to work, even with local media?

Huh, TIL...
You just need the internet connection to set it up, after that it should be good to go. I had chromecast set up in the headunit of my old truck and it worked without a internet connection, I just needed another phone's hotspot to set it up but after that it worked fine
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote