Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-25-2023, 08:55 AM   #1
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:
Default Youtube Ad Blocker No Longer Working

Anyone else running into this now?

Youtube is blocking videos from working unless you disable your adblocker.
Not showing up for everyone, but more and more people seeing it.

I wouldn't really have an issue with ads, but at this point there are more ads than cable TV has.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 10:37 AM   #2
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Using Chrome? Which adblocker are you using in particular?

Not encountering this issue yet on MacOS or Windows and I think I have a combo of Adblock for Chrome and uBlock Origin.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 11:20 AM   #3
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Works fine on Firefox with Ublock for me.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 11:36 AM   #4
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Which specific adblocker though? There are a number of them.

These third party apps and extensions are often a crapshoot as there is often one lowly developer behind them, trying to keep up with the army of people Google and Youtube have behind them updating things. And I imagine trying to stop ad blockers from working is a big deal for them.
Flabbibulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 01:40 PM   #5
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

uBlock Origin on Chrome.

Doesn't affect everyone yet, but definitely becoming an issue.

Quote:
What Happens If I Continue To Use Ad Blockers?
YouTube is going to come down hard on anyone trying to find loopholes in its ad blocker ban. Impacted viewers will receive repeated notifications urging them to allow ads on YouTube. If you continue to use ad blockers despite repeated requests to allow ads on YouTube, playback may be disabled.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/kateofl...h=2c5a23194bfb
Old 10-25-2023, 01:45 PM   #6
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully someone will find a way soon to bypass this BS. Today I was getting the notification to disable adblock after a few weeks hiatus since the last edit I did to keep ublock working, but seems YT found a way around it. But I noticed if I click the stop load X button in chrome before the page fully loads, no popup appeared and the video kept playing.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 01:46 PM   #7
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Looks like Youtube is turning it off and on. Yesterday I couldn't watch anything without turning off uBlock, today having uBlock on works fine.
Old 10-25-2023, 03:53 PM   #8
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Hopefully someone will find a way soon to bypass this BS. Today I was getting the notification to disable adblock after a few weeks hiatus since the last edit I did to keep ublock working, but seems YT found a way around it. But I noticed if I click the stop load X button in chrome before the page fully loads, no popup appeared and the video kept playing.
It’s called YouTube Premium. I know not everyone can afford it but I pay to support the creators I watch. No ads and background play are a bonus. I don’t even use YouTube music because it’s garbage.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2023, 04:09 PM   #9
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

If you're like me and spent a long time trying to evade Twitch's increasingly aggressive anti-adblock campaigns, then you know it's a losing battle. That or you become quite intimate with the inner working of browser addons...
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2023, 04:37 PM   #10
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
It’s called YouTube Premium. I know not everyone can afford it but I pay to support the creators I watch. No ads and background play are a bonus. I don’t even use YouTube music because it’s garbage.
If Google had an Amazon Prime that included a bunch of services like YouTube Premium, etc. (they killed Google Music though) I would consider paying for it.

It's like the Netflix streaming world, there are all these services but they are all separate and they add up.

I can't pay for Amazon Prime, Spotify Premium, Youtube Premium, Netflix, Disney +, Apple Newstand, PC Game Pass etc. all together.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:46 PM   #11
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I use a plugin called 'Enhancer for YouTube' in conjunction with uBlock Origin and have yet to come across YouTube blocking me nor have I seen an ad on it.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 04:50 PM   #12
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
FYI, Google doesn't do any sort of geo verification when signing up for Youtube Premium other than looking at your IP. So if you have access to a VPN and connect to a country where it's way cheaper (like Turkey or Argentina) you can sign up and get it for a couple of bucks a month

But it's not like I've been paying for a premium family plan in Lira for the last year or anything....
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2023, 05:15 PM   #13
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

uBlock Origin on Chrome wasn't able to stop the playback block for me.

However after turning uBlock off on YouTube, this TamperMonkey script has worked to block ads: https://github.com/TheRealJoelmatic/...emover.user.js
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2023, 05:53 PM   #14
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

What a monumentally moronic strategy on Google's part. The absolutely ridiculous level of ads on YouTube is just going to push me to use Firefox with uBlock Origin and never use Chrome again. Or, if they have the gall to block my account entirely, guess what? I'll just never watch YouTube ever again! Doing me a favour at that point, maybe I should just find better more productive things to do.

It's like the Netflix "no account sharing" BS earlier this year: it didn't push me to get my own Netflix account, it just pushed me to not watch Netflix content at all. Same thing is going to happen with Disney+ next month; same will happen to all of them if they keep going down this road.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:54 PM   #15
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jfc, just get youtube platinum.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 05:58 PM   #16
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Google can lick my nutsack if they think I'm ever going to pay them a subscription fee for watching amateur-uploaded six-minute videos every once in a while.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2023, 06:32 PM   #17
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
What a monumentally moronic strategy on Google's part. The absolutely ridiculous level of ads on YouTube is just going to push me to use Firefox with uBlock Origin and never use Chrome again. Or, if they have the gall to block my account entirely, guess what? I'll just never watch YouTube ever again! Doing me a favour at that point, maybe I should just find better more productive things to do.

It's like the Netflix "no account sharing" BS earlier this year: it didn't push me to get my own Netflix account, it just pushed me to not watch Netflix content at all. Same thing is going to happen with Disney+ next month; same will happen to all of them if they keep going down this road.
Sponsorblock is a fantastic addition to the Firefox arsenal. It auto removes the in video paid promotions, and does a very good job of it, too.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 06:40 PM   #18
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
If Google had an Amazon Prime that included a bunch of services like YouTube Premium, etc. (they killed Google Music though) I would consider paying for it.

It's like the Netflix streaming world, there are all these services but they are all separate and they add up.

I can't pay for Amazon Prime, Spotify Premium, Youtube Premium, Netflix, Disney +, Apple Newstand, PC Game Pass etc. all together.
YouTube premium includes YouTube music(which replaced Google Music) and is pretty much the same as Spotify premium (and you don't have to support Joe Rogan). I"d call YouTube premium my most useful subscription.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nfotiu For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2023, 12:20 AM   #19
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

No ads aside, being able to put on my subscriptions videos daily and turn off the screen and have the audio still feed into my earbuds is worth the cost alone (if they've offered this feature on free YouTube since then I'll feel like an idiot though).

I watch/listen to a lot of content though.

Easily my most useful subscription. I've rarely felt money was better spent.

So yeah I audibly groan when I see people waiting through ads and suffering. They just don't understand what it's like on the other side. Total bliss and freedom. Just f-n do it.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:33 AM   #20
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentCrimmIndependent View Post
No ads aside, being able to put on my subscriptions videos daily and turn off the screen and have the audio still feed into my earbuds is worth the cost alone (if they've offered this feature on free YouTube since then I'll feel like an idiot though).

I watch/listen to a lot of content though.

Easily my most useful subscription. I've rarely felt money was better spent.

So yeah I audibly groan when I see people waiting through ads and suffering. They just don't understand what it's like on the other side. Total bliss and freedom. Just f-n do it.
The Revanced YouTube app allows for the video to be off and audio to continue too. Problem solved, for free!
AC is offline   Reply With Quote