Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:
Default The Disappearing Excel Spreadsheet

As posted in the WGRG thread, I had a spreadsheet I'd been working on for the past day and half, I had probably saved it a couple dozen times, and yes I am sure. In that time I also never closed it, this morning I printed it (luckily) and then closed it, not asking me if there were any changes to save. Couple of hours later I go to open it again and it is almost completely empty, only a few minor things left.

The original was done by my secretary who emailed it to me and then I greatly expanded it. Before I did any editing I made sure I saved a copy from the email to My Documents.

I've checked every temp folder I can think of with no luck. The other bizarre thing being, whats left of the spreadsheet doesn't even include everything from the original that she did.

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to reenter all the data and redo all the formulas.
Hanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:45 PM   #2
Agamemnon
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
As posted in the WGRG thread, I had a spreadsheet I'd been working on for the past day and half, I had probably saved it a couple dozen times, and yes I am sure. In that time I also never closed it, this morning I printed it (luckily) and then closed it, not asking me if there were any changes to save. Couple of hours later I go to open it again and it is almost completely empty, only a few minor things left.

The original was done by my secretary who emailed it to me and then I greatly expanded it. Before I did any editing I made sure I saved a copy from the email to My Documents.

I've checked every temp folder I can think of with no luck. The other bizarre thing being, whats left of the spreadsheet doesn't even include everything from the original that she did.

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to reenter all the data and redo all the formulas.
Any chance that even though you saved to My Documents, you were still working off an original from within the email? You might have moved the doc over to My Documents, but then opened it from the email, which would 'save' it to some temporary internet folder.

Did you try doing a sort of master search of you C drive for the file name?
Agamemnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I suppose it's possible, though this is not something I've ever done before when being emailed documents. The bizarre thing being the copy I saved is missing stuff that the one the email still contains. Even though the one in my documents should have additional information, not less.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:04 PM   #4
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

pics of secretary?
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish it was something you would want to see, trust me it isn't. Damn good at her job but not so good looking.
The Following User Says Thank You to Hanni For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 04:17 PM   #6
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did you check your autorecovery directory? (i'm thinking obviously)

http://excelribbon.tips.net/Pages/T0...ver_Files.html

should be something like:
C:\Documents and Settings\your_login_id\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:21 PM   #7
calumniate
Franchise Player

Exp:

The crap part is you can't call upon the autorecover unless something crashes. One idea may be to open your file up again, intentionally crash your computer, start it up again and it may produce a few different versions for you when it calls the autorecover
calumniate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 04:26 PM   #8
Hanni
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yes I looked there, I've given up on ever seeing it again.
Old 12-03-2010, 07:10 PM   #9
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

This has happened to me before. I would save the spreadsheet and then look in windows explorer, and the date of the spreadsheet would be prior to the last time I saved it. I had this happen on multiple occasions with a DBA monitoring to figure it out. It just kept going back in time. I started over, took a quarter of the time I spent searching.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote