Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2008, 02:21 PM   #1
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default HD TV Question

We've got a brand new Samsung DLP, 50 inch, as well as some upgraded cables to go to the machine. We've got the PVR HD as well. We get HD through Shaw. We have "boosters" on our cable as it comes into the house.

The problem I have is that with sports on HD, my reception is choppy. It looks like it is jumping from shot to shot and missing a bunch in between, especially on the high angle shots which cover most play in hockey, football and basketball. On a close up it isn't as bad, as long as there isn't much movement (likely because the camera isn't having to move). It has got to the point where I can't watch sports in HD because it is almost making me ill watching. I've called Shaw and they are coming out to the house in a couple of weeks.

Anyone have thoughts on what the problem might be?

I live in an old neighbourhood and the guy that installed our cable made an offhand comment that the cables into the house are old, but no one since then has supported that as a cause for the problem.

Could it be anything else? Suggestions? We'll probably cancel HD if this can't be fixed, which sucks because I do like it when I watch at someone else's house.
Old 01-06-2008, 02:25 PM   #2
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

Anyone have thoughts on what the problem might be?
Yep. You are using HD through Shaw

In all seriousness, it sounds like it is a feed problem which would come down to the cables. It happened all the time when people installing Bell would try and use old exisiting cable for their HD.

I don't know how much it would cost or if Shaw would run a direct line for you so you don't cancel your HD. I would guess around ~$75 because that is the cost for running a line on satellite.
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:30 PM   #3
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks! Sounds like you've heard of this before...

but, I'm not a techie person. Could you break it down for me a bit more?

Running a direct line - inside the house, to the street, to somewhere else?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #4
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Direct from where Shaw brings its cables into your house. I bet the cables running from that box to your receiver are too old to handle the HD feed thats why it goes in and out.

I could be tottally off on this as its hard to tell without seeing the problem or troubleshooting, but that sounds like your best bet. What I would do is call Shaw tell them your problem and they will send someone out to look at it. I think Shaw gives free service calls so that will just give you an idea where to start.

If that fails go to Satellite...if you have an HD tv don't punish it by watching digital
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #5
cSpooge
Scoring Winger

Exp:

shaw will come and run the line for free (at least they did for me).
cSpooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:23 PM   #6
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
We have "boosters" on our cable as it comes into the house.
Yep, if you were having signal loss with analog TV before, HD will be worse. As others have said, give Shaw a call and see if they can upgrade your lines to the house.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 04:57 PM   #7
GreatWhiteEbola
First Line Centre

Exp:

Service calls are included with Shaw. When you talk to a representative get their name and rep #, its nice to have one point of contact.
GreatWhiteEbola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 07:03 PM   #8
McG
Franchise Player

Exp:

i have the samsung dlp 46" and its one fine tv.

i'm on shaw too. i agree that it sounds like there isn't enough throughput on the cables...but how about hd on non sports stuff? is that the same?

the reason that i ask is because i have found that the hd signal coming from say...nbc in new york...is actually inferior to the exact same game coming from the seattle feed. i have often changed channels, on the same network, to get a less interrupted picture. if that makes any sense.

We had joy, we had fun, we had a season in the sun, but the wine and the fun like the season is all gone.

Average team is average. Average drafts, average results, average trades, average asset management, average vision, average outcomes. Average.
McG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 09:37 PM   #9
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

interesting comments.

It seems the more high demand shows, the worse the signal. Some TV shows suck, but when I catch something on the Discovery Channel HD it's wicked.

I'll really lean on them to get me a new cable. I don't care if I have to call them out every week for the next three months.